Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clue87
    • By clue87 10th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    clue87
    Someone keeps keying my car every few weeks!!!
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    Someone keeps keying my car every few weeks!!! 10th Mar 17 at 5:44 PM
    Over the past few months my car has been keyed about 3 times outside my own home and when iv parked further down my street (due to no parking outside my own house, so I assumed some !!!!y neighbour doesn't want me parking outside their house) Some are deep, some are minor scratches always towards the back of the car (makes me think its the same person). My back window has also been keyed. I am not paying 100s of pounds because of pathetic low life jealous individual. This issue is causing me alot of distress as im concerned if the car gets damaged any further I will certainly have to pay for a paint job, which I really do not want to do. Im actually starting to lose sleep over it and can not help but be looking out the window at 12am.

These scratches are not someone walking past, these scratches look like someone is taking their time to scratch it as the scratches are vertical lines.

Iv not even had the car for a year, my old car was a crappy banger, but I never noticed any new deep cuts on it- which makes me think this may also have something to do with jealousy.

I dont believe Iv peed anyone off in all honesty. I speak to some of my neighbours about 4 households in total. I spoke to one my neighbours already and they have 3 vehicles and they've not been vandalised like mine. Recently Iv tried to be more friendly with all the neighbours I come across.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? What did you do? Did you ever find out who did it?
Page 2
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 8,991 Posts
    • 4,366 Thanks
    missile
    If you read the OP properly he states "towards the rear" - you might be mixing that up with the fact the rear window was also scratched. I was assuming on the panel between the rear side window and the rear of the car (where the petrol cap can be).
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    I offered my comment to aid the OP. You appear to have no constructive comment and clearly want to argue black is white.

As I said, one can point the camera in any direction. Dash cameras have a wide angle. OP could easily site the camera(s) to observe whatever area of his vehicle is being targeted.

I read a post from another owner who has a similar issue with vandalism. To provide complete 360 coverage all round his vehicle, he installed 4 off cameras.

Your arithmetic is wrong and "Parking Mode" does not = record continuously at 1080P. Quality dash cams (like those I mentioned), do record very good images at night and provide several options for "Parking Mode". The mini0806 offers Parking Mode motion detection and the F770 offers Parking Mode time lapse and auto super night vision. Neither camera would "drain a battery within 12 hours". Both have sensors to prevent over discharge of the battery.

As docmatt said, his Blackvue offers Parking Mode motion detection and he uses a dedicated back up battery pack.

This may help you understand the options available on better quality dash cams > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-3KngkXn20
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 12th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    docmatt
    Recording someone approaching doesn't prove they committed the crime - if the camera sees them approach, something happens, they leave, it's still not proof.
    All the OP needs is a face so he can go and have a quiet word.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I offered my comment to aid the OP. You appear to have no constructive comment and clearly want to argue black is white.

As I said, one can point the camera in any direction. Dash cameras have a wide angle. OP could easily site the camera(s) to observe whatever area of his vehicle is being targeted.

I read a post from another owner who has a similar issue with vandalism. To provide complete 360 coverage all round his vehicle, he installed 4 off cameras.

Your arithmetic is wrong and "Parking Mode" does not = record continuously at 1080P. Quality dash cams (like those I mentioned), do record very good images at night and provide several options for "Parking Mode". The mini0806 offers Parking Mode motion detection and the F770 offers Parking Mode time lapse and auto super night vision. Neither camera would "drain a battery within 12 hours". Both have sensors to prevent over discharge of the battery.

As docmatt said, his Blackvue offers Parking Mode motion detection and he uses a dedicated back up battery pack.

This may help you understand the options available on better quality dash cams > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-3KngkXn20
    Originally posted by missile
    Lovely long explanation which is great were someone hitting his car every night. However, OP has the issue someone is scratching it, not hitting it. Unless they are rocking the vehicle as they do it, the parking sensor will NOT be triggered. Something like the Blackvue with motion detection is a separate feature but their site promotes it with lots of day time videos e.g. the swinging pole, not when it's dark. At night, it requires the camera to see someone approaching and trigger. It requires the dashcam to be able to film at night in great detail to be identify them (the person would almost certainly cover their face) and again, all it proves is they walked by the car, it does not prove the keyed it.

Again I refer you to the OP where they say they were scratched towards the rear of the car - that bit will hide their face as they scratch as it's a solid metal barrier, the fanciest dash cam in the world can't see through the car frame

That is why I provided all the maths, as without it recording it is not guaranteed to pick anything up.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 14th Mar 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 3,897 Thanks
    George Michael
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/aug/31/householders-cctv-public-highway-film

The DPA contains an exemption for domestic use, however, so a householder who has a camera on their property for their own personal use would not be covered by the DPA even if the camera overlooks the street or other public areas near their home. This exemption also applies to recreational use, eg by using a mobile phone or camcorder.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    That report is almost 7 years old and the law has changed since then.
    The exemption referred to (Section 36 of the DPA) no longer applies if privately owned CCTV systems record anything that is outside of the boundaries of the owners property.

https://ico.org.uk/media/1431867/ico-scotland-conference-2015-alison-white-the-citizen-controller.pdf

•ICO Code of Practice (2014) – “In the picture: a data protection code of practice for surveillance cameras and personal information”
    •Updated May 2015 to take account of Ryneš
    •Section 36 exemption does not apply where cameras cover beyond interior or exterior of individual’s home
    •Specifically mentions that cameras covering neighbour’s garden would not fall within the exemption
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 14th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 2,638 Thanks
    Robisere
    [QUOTE=Strider590;72233226]Usually, like 90% of the time, it's old people that do this (surprising I know).

Do you have any statistical proof of this, or do you just dislike older people? Some evidence to back up your assertion would be advisable. Otherwise, this is just another of those baseless "facts" that some posters come up with on this forum.

And yes, I am a Senior citizen, but I have never 'keyed' a car, nor have any of the members of the Senior Ghetto (AKA Sheltered Housing complex) where I live.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• missile
    • By missile 14th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 8,991 Posts
    • 4,366 Thanks
    missile
    Lovely long explanation which is great were someone hitting his car every night. However, OP has the issue someone is scratching it, not hitting it. Unless they are rocking the vehicle as they do it, the parking sensor will NOT be triggered. Something like the Blackvue with motion detection is a separate feature but their site promotes it with lots of day time videos e.g. the swinging pole, not when it's dark. At night, it requires the camera to see someone approaching and trigger. It requires the dashcam to be able to film at night in great detail to be identify them (the person would almost certainly cover their face) and again, all it proves is they walked by the car, it does not prove the keyed it.

Again I refer you to the OP where they say they were scratched towards the rear of the car - that bit will hide their face as they scratch as it's a solid metal barrier, the fanciest dash cam in the world can't see through the car frame

That is why I provided all the maths, as without it recording it is not guaranteed to pick anything up.
    You really are being obtuse.
    A dash cam with Parking Mode motion detection or Parking mode time lapse would easily capture a vandal in the act.

The narrow rear pillar on the OPs Corsa would not be an issue
    The street lights in OPs road would provide adequate illumination
    Perhaps you should buy a better dash cam and a 128GB SD card.
    Last edited by missile; 14-03-2017 at 11:15 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 14th Mar 17, 11:47 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Strider590
    [QUOTE=Robisere;72250822]
    Usually, like 90% of the time, it's old people that do this (surprising I know).

Do you have any statistical proof of this, or do you just dislike older people? Some evidence to back up your assertion would be advisable. Otherwise, this is just another of those baseless "facts" that some posters come up with on this forum.

And yes, I am a Senior citizen, but I have never 'keyed' a car, nor have any of the members of the Senior Ghetto (AKA Sheltered Housing complex) where I live.
    Originally posted by Strider590

Some people just get a bit crazy in their old age, now I know it's not very PC to say this, but quite frankly NASFWGTD.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/13/cctv-appears-to-show-elderly-man-keying-a-parked-car/

I frequent a lot of motoring and car forums, I see a lot of threads about cars being keyed and in almost every case in the last 10 years, the perp has turned out to be some slightly crazy OAP.

I'm stating the facts as I see them and there is nothing at all wrong with that.
    You probably won't find any real stats, because talking about the elderly committing crime is not very PC, we seem to brush it under a rug and hope nobody notices. Somehow we assume that once people reach a certain age they suddenly start acting like model citizens, when the truth is that bad people are still bad people, except that old age often gives them immunity to prosecution, through political correctness.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

308Posts Today

3,786Users online

Martin's Twitter