Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clue87
    • By clue87 10th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    clue87
    Someone keeps keying my car every few weeks!!!
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    Someone keeps keying my car every few weeks!!! 10th Mar 17 at 4:44 PM
    Over the past few months my car has been keyed about 3 times outside my own home and when iv parked further down my street (due to no parking outside my own house, so I assumed some !!!!y neighbour doesn't want me parking outside their house) Some are deep, some are minor scratches always towards the back of the car (makes me think its the same person). My back window has also been keyed. I am not paying 100s of pounds because of pathetic low life jealous individual. This issue is causing me alot of distress as im concerned if the car gets damaged any further I will certainly have to pay for a paint job, which I really do not want to do. Im actually starting to lose sleep over it and can not help but be looking out the window at 12am.

These scratches are not someone walking past, these scratches look like someone is taking their time to scratch it as the scratches are vertical lines.

Iv not even had the car for a year, my old car was a crappy banger, but I never noticed any new deep cuts on it- which makes me think this may also have something to do with jealousy.

I dont believe Iv peed anyone off in all honesty. I speak to some of my neighbours about 4 households in total. I spoke to one my neighbours already and they have 3 vehicles and they've not been vandalised like mine. Recently Iv tried to be more friendly with all the neighbours I come across.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? What did you do? Did you ever find out who did it?
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 3,974 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    There was a long thread on here some time back about a guy who had some nutcase woman who was doing it to him, even after months, CCTV etc the police decided not to prosecute and she pretty much got away with it unfortunately. Without proof you're not going to get very far.

I can't recommend it but I would love to hide out and catch the person and key them in return and see how they like it (as in, key THEM, not their car) but that would be illegal and we have to sit behind the system that will protect the criminal (do note I respect the legal system and fully respect the police who are tied by the CPS and probably are as frustrated as anyone else that criminals get pathetic slap on the wrist punishments) - you can't even realistically sue the person if you catch them and expect to get any money from them
    • clue87
    • By clue87 10th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clue87
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:00 PM
    There was a long thread on here some time back about a guy who had some nutcase woman who was doing it to him, even after months, CCTV etc the police decided not to prosecute and she pretty much got away with it unfortunately. Without proof you're not going to get very far.

I can't recommend it but I would love to hide out and catch the person and key them in return and see how they like it (as in, key THEM, not their car) but that would be illegal and we have to sit behind the system that will protect the criminal (do note I respect the legal system and fully respect the police who are tied by the CPS and probably are as frustrated as anyone else that criminals get pathetic slap on the wrist punishments) - you can't even realistically sue the person if you catch them and expect to get any money from them
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Thanks for the quick response.

In all honesty, people who key cars, deserve the worst punishment, but as like yourself I respect the legal system etc so therefore can only hope karma will get them 10x as worse.

I am planning of getting CCTV next week, so I just hope it deters the Pr**k even if I never catch them. I would never key anyones car! its such a cowardly act to do, if someone has a problem with me then just confront me.

Why was this nutcase woman vandalisng his property?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 57,624 Posts
    • 330,860 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:05 PM
    Loons do this. They don't need a reason. You might say it's "jealousy", but I think most things aren't jealousy, it's because the perpetrators are just loons and low lifes.

You need to be able to record it and upload it to Youtube, then share, share, share the video and show them up for the lowlifes they are.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Mar 17, 5:41 PM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 6,069 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:41 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:41 PM
    Usually, like 90% of the time, it's old people that do this (surprising I know).

Has this been happening when parking in one particular spot? or anywhere (including your own house)?

This might start a thread load of abuse, but what is your car? If it's some expensive exec style car, it might be jealousy. If it's some loud boy racer shopping trolley, it'll probably be because they hate the car and hate being woken up by it at stupid o'clock.

The thread mentioned above, the individual involved was a racist old lady with mental issues attacking some guys Range Rover, so don't take that as a true representation of what may happen in your situation.
    Last edited by Strider590; 10-03-2017 at 6:12 PM.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 24,463 Posts
    • 9,699 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    get a CCTV camera and recorder, if the car is visible from your property.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RegWorts
    • By RegWorts 11th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    • 7,605 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    RegWorts
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:05 AM
    Thanks for the quick response.

In all honesty, people who key cars, deserve the worst punishment, but as like yourself I respect the legal system etc so therefore can only hope karma will get them 10x as worse.

I am planning of getting CCTV next week, so I just hope it deters the Pr**k even if I never catch them. I would never key anyones car! its such a cowardly act to do, if someone has a problem with me then just confront me.

Why was this nutcase woman vandalisng his property?
    Originally posted by clue87
    The saga is here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5324888&highlight=keyed
    • clue87
    • By clue87 11th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clue87
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    Usually, like 90% of the time, it's old people that do this (surprising I know).

Has this been happening when parking in one particular spot? or anywhere (including your own house)?

This might start a thread load of abuse, but what is your car? If it's some expensive exec style car, it might be jealousy. If it's some loud boy racer shopping trolley, it'll probably be because they hate the car and hate being woken up by it at stupid o'clock.

The thread mentioned above, the individual involved was a racist old lady with mental issues attacking some guys Range Rover, so don't take that as a true representation of what may happen in your situation.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Parking on our street is limit due to each household has more than 1 vehicle, so prior to the scratches I used to park anywhere and I had done for the past 3 years with my old car too, I didn't think anything of it until now of course.

Its happened outside my neighbours homes and also outside my own, the worst was when I parked further down the street- I had 6 deep vertical scratches down to the metal, after this incident I never parked anywhere apart from outside my house, im too terrified to. I assumed a neighbour was !!!!ed for me parking infront of their home and decided to only park outside my own and ensured I came home straight from work to get my spot!

Then recently its also happened outside my own house, this time it wasn't deep scratches but light, which I think I could probably get out with T-Cut, but my back window has also been keyed. I have a new Corsa, just a normal corsa nothing loud and I certainly dont use my car at stupid o clock. Im starting to think its personal rather than anything, but I really dont believe Iv peed anyone off at all whatsoever, only an minority of people on our street have new cars, no one has CCTV. I really cant put my finger on it.

Once the CCTV is in place I hope my poor car gets left alone.
    • clue87
    • By clue87 11th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clue87
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    The saga is here

[
    Originally posted by RegWorts

Reading this has made me very frustrated and annoyed! lol but thank you for finding it for me.
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Mar 17, 4:22 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 4,085 Thanks
    missile
    If yours is the only car being targeted, someone has a grudge against you.
    Install a quality dash cam with parking mode.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 11th Mar 17, 6:44 AM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 4,465 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Reading this has made me very frustrated and annoyed! lol but thank you for finding it for me.

Indeed, the police seem useless in these situations. I'd have thought a brick through the front window would have been more effective.
    • facade
    • By facade 11th Mar 17, 7:30 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    facade

Once the CCTV is in place I hope my poor car gets left alone.
    Unfortunately, you can't use CCTV to film into the street.

If you do it, it is voyeurism (which doesn't mean what you think) if The Council do it (with a sign every 5 miles ) it is "Revenue gathering Crime Detection"
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 6,069 Thanks
    Strider590
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/aug/31/householders-cctv-public-highway-film

The DPA contains an exemption for domestic use, however, so a householder who has a camera on their property for their own personal use would not be covered by the DPA even if the camera overlooks the street or other public areas near their home. This exemption also applies to recreational use, eg by using a mobile phone or camcorder.
    Doesn't however mean your neighbours won't get upset with it.

FYI, I have cctv overlooking my street, mounted on the back of my garage.
    Started with a small grey dome camera connected to a DVR, had this for a year and nobody noticed, then when I swapped it for a white dome camera (which happened to have better nigh vision) I had a few shitty comments from the neighbours, but "not a single ***k was given that day".
    Last edited by Strider590; 11-03-2017 at 8:52 AM.

• Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 11th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Alter ego
    Try a notice in front of your house " CCTV in use" No need to actually have cctv
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 10,907 Posts
    • 6,069 Thanks
    Strider590
    Try a notice in front of your house " CCTV in use" No need to actually have cctv
    Originally posted by Alter ego

Personally at this stage i'd be more interested in finding out who it was, seeing as the car is already screwed.

It sounds like it's already going to cost more to repair than going through the insurance, in which case there would likely be a courtesy car which would likely get damaged too.
    Last edited by Strider590; 11-03-2017 at 9:15 AM.

• consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 11th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    consumers_revenge

Ballaclavas or ski masks work wonders in this case!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 11th Mar 17, 1:44 PM
    • 3,974 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    If yours is the only car being targeted, someone has a grudge against you.
    Install a quality dash cam with parking mode.
    Originally posted by missile
    Dash cam only faces forwards (or back) and the parking mode is about bumps, I can't imagine a key on the paintwork would trigger it anyway
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 4,085 Thanks
    missile
    Dash cam only faces forwards (or back) and the parking mode is about bumps, I can't imagine a key on the paintwork would trigger it anyway
    Not true:
    One can point the camera(s) in whatever direction you choose.
    Some cameras, e.g. Thinkware F770 and mini 0806 can be set to record 24/7
    The OP said the vandal is keying the rear of his Corsa. Thus, a wide angle rear facing camera set to record 24/7 in Parking Mode would catch his approach, in the act and leaving.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 11th Mar 17, 7:47 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    docmatt
    Get yourself a Blackvue DR650S 2 channel dashcam. I got one in my car. So peace of mind. As well as front and rear dashcam, you can have it fitted with the battery pack for parking mode.

Anyone walks within a few feet of your car and it starts recording, it's also bump activated but the motion activation will be the one for you. Really clear images too. Don't get Halfords to fit it as they don't know how to fit the parking mode battery, go to a blackvue registered dealer.

You can even connect your dashcam to your home wifi (my wifi reaches the drive) and I can watch my dashcam live from my phone.

• Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 12th Mar 17, 10:27 AM
    • 3,974 Posts
    • 2,191 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Not true:
    One can point the camera(s) in whatever direction you choose.
    Some cameras, e.g. Thinkware F770 and mini 0806 can be set to record 24/7
    The OP said the vandal is keying the rear of his Corsa. Thus, a wide angle rear facing camera set to record 24/7 in Parking Mode would catch his approach, in the act and leaving.
    Originally posted by missile
    The camera still only points forwards i.e. the way the lens is facing. Recording someone approaching doesn't prove they committed the crime - if the camera sees them approach, something happens, they leave, it's still not proof. They could simply say they had noticed the scratches and were looking at them to report them the next morning.

If you read the OP properly he states "towards the rear" - you might be mixing that up with the fact the rear window was also scratched. I was assuming on the panel between the rear side window and the rear of the car (where the petrol cap can be).

You'd need to mount the camera probably between the front seats and point out at an angle and hope it catches them doing it. In addition, it happens at night, dash cams are not the best for night vision and if the person has a hood up or cap you wouldn't see them anyway. In addition, you'd need a massive data card - my mobius isn't the most fancy but at 1080p it's about 500mb per 5 minute clip so you'd need to have it recording all the time and never overwriting the clip unless you were going out every couple of hours to see if was scratched and grabbing the clip - around 1gb per 10 minutes or 6gb per hour. 12 hours or so from say 7pm - 7am is 72gb. On top of that, it will drain the car battery constantly. Your original post talked about a parking mode which was what I was picking up on, the g-shock sensors wouldn't be triggered by small scratches
    Last edited by Nasqueron; 12-03-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,563Posts Today

7,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @jaihy: @MartinSLewis thank you! Like so many, I hadn't claimed ppi. During the last series I filled in the form...£2,700 cheque in the?

• Check if you're owed, totally free tool to help here... https://t.co/2Oto4B86tq https://t.co/vOpsYU6b3g

• Today's twitter poll: If they made a rule to standardise chips in the UK - which of these four (I only get 4 options) would u want it to be?

• Follow Martin