Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 10th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 284Posts
    • 471Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    Good Passive Multi Asset Trackers / Funds?
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    Good Passive Multi Asset Trackers / Funds? 10th Mar 17 at 5:11 PM
    Hi all,

Newbie investor here. I am dipping a toe in the water of multi asset investing. At the moment all my cash is required in the short to medium term, so this is literally just a toe and nothing more.....call it a pet project.

I am looking for a low to medium risk (3 or 4 out of 7) passive multi asset tracker but I am struggling to find a platform where I can review the various options and take into account OCF to make a decision....Or is it just the Vanguard LS option on the market and that's it?

Any ideas on websites or just names of funds would be great.

Thanks
    Last edited by Hutchch0920; 10-03-2017 at 5:16 PM.
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000
Page 1
    • masonic
    • By masonic 10th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 9,126 Posts
    • 6,273 Thanks
    masonic
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    There is also L&G Multi Index, and Blackrock Consensus.

www.trustnet.com for details and comparisons.
    • LXdaddy
    • By LXdaddy 10th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    LXdaddy
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    Fidelity offer a range of Multi-Asset funds in passive and active versions too.
    • coyrls
    • By coyrls 10th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 910 Thanks
    coyrls
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    I wouldn't make the choice based on 100ths of a percent difference in OCF. Decide what you want first and then see which fund most closely matches what you want. Then look to see if there is any significant difference in OCF from the others.
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 13th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies. Some of the options aren't available (Blackrock) to me through Axa's platform so I've gone with the L&G and I'll look more into Fidelity as I don't know if I can get that one either :-)

• AlanP
    • By AlanP 14th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    AlanP
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    Why are you suing the Axa platform if it doesn't offer the investment options you want?

Don't let the tail wag the dog!
    • badger09
    • By badger09 14th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    badger09
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    Why are you suing the Axa platform if it doesn't offer the investment options you want?

Don't let the tail wag the dog!
    Originally posted by AlanP
    That's a bit extreme
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 14th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    I decided to use AXA's ISA platform as MSE has a deal on where it's free to use for the first year....seemed like a sensible choice given that I basically didn't know what I was doing so being able to use it for free while I learn the ropes was a big draw. Unfortunately I didn't realise it would limit my options quite so much...I could switch platforms for the new tax year.

• chockydavid1983
    • By chockydavid1983 14th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    chockydavid1983
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    You'll probably want to reevaluate your platform choice if:
    You decide to add more different funds
    You decide to invest more or less regularly
    Your pot gets bigger

http://www.comparefundplatforms.com/
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 14th Mar 17, 5:10 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    Audaxer
    I assume rather than switch platforms, the OP could register with an additional platform that has the new funds that he wants to invest in?
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 14th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    it's a bit late to mention it, but i wouldn't choose a platform based on a 1-year cheap offer. you can switch platforms, but it's more hassle than switching savings accounts. i don't expect most savings account to be worth keeping for more than about a year. but i'd aim to pick a platform i'll stick with for at least a few years. though sometimes it doesn't work out like that - e.g. the platform changes its charges, and it no longer makes sense to stay.
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 17th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    It didn't occur to me that transferring an ISA would be a big deal The rest of banking seems easy to switch relatively.

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,452 Thanks
    dunstonh
    It didn't occur to me that transferring an ISA would be a big deal The rest of banking seems easy to switch relatively.
    Originally posted by Hutchch0920
    Banking and investing being two very different things.

Investing in an ISA gives you about 30,000 different investment options with a near infinite number of variations.

There are not many bank accounts and the data you have to research is very little.

I decided to use AXA's ISA platform as MSE has a deal on where it's free to use for the first year....seemed like a sensible choice given that I basically didn't know what I was doing so being able to use it for free while I learn the ropes was a big draw.
    On £15240.......A small saving of around £48 over 12 months whereas getting the investments wrong could cost closer to £1000. When investing, the primary concern are the investments. Charges are secondary.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 17th Mar 17, 3:44 PM
    • 6,733 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    Banking switches are easy because cash is simple to hold.

If I'm a bank and you have an account with me, I am simply using the cash you gave me within my banking business with a note in my system as to how much I owe you and whether I owe you any interest on it. If you want the cash I can send it to you or to a new ISA provider to hold for you instead. I might charge you an interest penalty if you demanded I send the money straight away when it wasn't supposed to be an instant access account, but it is relatively simple for me to ping money from your account with me to your account with someone else.

With investment products it's different. As an investment ISA manager, unlike a bank, I don't have your cash within my business ready to pay you.

Instead what I am holding for you is potentially a whole range of financial instruments:

- cash in a bank account with a different institution;

- bonds and shares in other companies, for which my nominee company is the registered owner in the records maintained by the registrar of the company who issued the shares to me, but I'm only the legal holder and they beneficially belong to you, my customer;

- Units in open-ended funds of a specific class which can be held on my investment platform but might not be able to be held on other ISA providers' platforms;
    Etc.

If you want to transfer to another provider it is not just as simple as me pinging the money I owe you to another provider. For any spare cash you have, I have to go and get it out of the bank to send over for you, but I also have to consider what you want doing with all the investments. I could sell them and get you cash to make for a relatively easy transfer but that is an inefficient process that leaves you "out of the market" while it happens and it might cost you more to buy back the investments at the other end than I got you when selling. So I could try to transfer all the ownership rights of all the individual investments over to your new provider.

However, that involves me filling out transfer documents to move some of the holdings into the name of the new ISA manager for all of the underlying companies who issued me shares to update their records to reflect your new ISA manager as the new owner from an agreed date. For your holdings of funds it is a similar process but in some cases the receiving platform manager isn't allowed to hold and offer those exact shares to you as his customer because they are (say) Class X units and the new ISA manager does not already have £50 million invested in that share class of the fund so is unable to take your £5000- worth and add it to his holdings - he's only allowed to hold Class A which is not what you have...

So that part of the transfer is unworkable and fails and then an alternative solution must be sought like agreeing to move you from Class X to a more expensive Class A before transferring so you're never out of the market. Or selling out for cash after all, and transferring that instead after some delay and agreeing with you that you'd like to do that. And then after working out what final work they ended up doing, and deciding how much you to bill you for that work, they can settle the bills and move your remaining cash. And then two months later the dividend income from company ABC plc arrives in the old ISA manager's account because you qualified for it before selling up or moving, and the cash and dividend voucher information must be transferred to your new manager to apply to your account. And then a tax reclaim from a bond fund which had been in progress with HMRC arrives in the old account too and that has to be passed on too.

Finally at some point down the line the old ISA manager can say *now* I'm finally done with this old investor.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th Mar 17, 4:54 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    badger09
    Originally posted by Hutchch0920
    As is invariably the case, bowlhead99 is correct, if a little verbose.

However, it is possible to transfer an S&S ISA and many of us have done so.

Clearly it isn't as straightforward for the ISA manager as a cash ISA transfer, and you might have to be 'out of the market' while the transfer takes place, but if there is a compelling reason for doing it, it can indeed be done
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 17th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    AlanP
    That's a bit extreme
    Originally posted by badger09
    For the OP or the Dog?

Wasn't meant to be harsh, and the OP subsequently explained why he went with AXA and the reason has a sensible basis so all good.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 18th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    badger09
    For the OP or the Dog?

Wasn't meant to be harsh, and the OP subsequently explained why he went with AXA and the reason has a sensible basis so all good.
    Originally posted by AlanP
    I think you missed my feeble joke.

You typed 'why are you sueing the Axa platform'. Which I suggested was a bit extreme. I didn't think your post was harsh

Moving on...
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 18th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad

You typed 'why are you sueing the Axa platform'. Which I suggested was a bit extreme. I didn't think your post was harsh

Moving on...
    "Mike drop"
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 19th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    AlanP

Moving on...
    Specsavers for me next time then -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,501Posts Today

8,231Users online

Martin's Twitter