Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 10th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 351Posts
    • 81Thanks
    misterthrifty
    Extra RAM to speed up PC
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    Extra RAM to speed up PC 10th Mar 17 at 4:58 PM
    Hi

I have an old Hi-Grade PC running Windows 10 which is getting a bit slow. I carried out a check on the Crucial website and it currently has 2x 1GB DDR PC2 5300 memory sticks. My question is, would upgrading to 2GB sticks make a substantial improvement and what specification should I be looking for to upgrade for a reasonable price and where to look?

TIA
    Mr T
Page 2
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 13th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Hi

I have an old Hi-Grade PC running Windows 10 which is getting a bit slow. I carried out a check on the Crucial website and it currently has 2x 1GB DDR PC2 5300 memory sticks. My question is, would upgrading to 2GB sticks make a substantial improvement and what specification should I be looking for to upgrade for a reasonable price and where to look?

TIA
    Mr T
    Originally posted by misterthrifty

Short answer is that there is plenty of life left in your machine if you are prepared to upgrade it but you may want to question whether it is worth spending the money when you can get more modern components or even a PC for the same or less money.

So like so much in this world it really comes down to money.

Assuming the monitor does not need changing there are 5 things that can be changed

1. Memory
    2. CPU
    3. NIC
    4. Motherboard
    5. Hard disk

Usually when people say they have a memory problem on here a load of people pile in and tell you to upgrade the hard disk to SSD or Hybrid SSD and this makes sense from a financial point of view as the SSD will have some value in any replacement PC. Investing in Memory or CPU for your current motherboard is usually a sunken cost, although you might recoup a bit by selling the upgraded Motherboard, Ram and CPU on eBay if you were lucky and knew how to price it.

From an Engineering point of view replacing the hard disk does not address the problem, despite the fact that it may feel more responsive; albeit that if it is the only component you change then the you will shorten the life of the SSD, as it will be doing loads of page writes rather than just caching your most used system files for reading.

PC performance is all about balance, sometimes if you improve one component you just move the bottleneck to the next weak point so you may end up having to upgrade more components. This is why it often becomes a financial decision.

You probably know that if you change the motherboard you will have to change the CPU and Memory, however, this can make financial and engineering sense, as current components are cheaper. For example to get your current mobo to 8gb could cost you £175.20 ( 2 x £87.60)

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-crucial-ddr2-pc2-5300

Now you might get away with spending £54 on a 4gb upgrade but if you wanted to upgrade to 8gb later you would have to replace the £54 memory as your mobo only has 2 slots.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-(2x2gb)-crucial-ddr2-desktop-memory-kit-pc2-5300-(667)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-5-18v

Replacing the ram will not make your system run any faster as such, but it will stop it being slowed down by the current paging to hard disk. So adding an SSD will FEEL faster but it does not solve the engineering issue.

You have a lot of options to upgrade the CPU with Core™2 Quad or Core™2 Extreme which WILL make it run faster but at a price, it will use more power and increase your energy bill. Again does not deal with the engineering problem, in fact it may make it worse as it will push data faster and add pressure to slowest component.

So you could spend the money on Memory, CPU and an SSD as well to make this into a competent beast, but you could spend less money on a new Mobo, Ram and CPU. This would give you a cooler running system using less power. The memory for a new system would be substantially cheaper at £58 for a single 8gb DDR4 module or £33 for a single 4gb module.

A new Mobo could cost you between £50 and perhaps £400, but that £50 is for a half decent motherboard and £80 will get you a bells and whistles budget system. You would need to check your power supply was powerful enough, however, unless you are making a gaming beast chances are it will be fine.

A basic CPU for that Mobo could feel a lot faster even though it might be entry level and cost around £42.

So you are looking at throwing money away on old components from £54 to £175 plus the cost of an SSD or CPU if needed.

Alternatively you can spend £33+£50+£42=£125 to £58+£80+£42=£180 the difference is that this spend will not be a sunken cost, it could be further upgraded and have years of life in it.

At the same time you can pick up new PC's that were returns to places like Argos on Ebay at prices from £140. So bear that in mind.

Now the "SSD solves everything" brigade can pile in as being usable beyond the life of this PC, but as I said if you use it in this way all that page swapping that is slowing down your system will still happen and will reduce the life of the SSD unit.

Still if you want to go down that route, you have two choices, a legacy 3.5inch SSD drive will cost you around £93

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/p5qpl-am/CT8444744

or you could stick in a 2.5inch small one just for windows for around £53 or a Hybrid (SSHD) is a cheaper option.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/1510/1851/2375

Here are crucials other upgrade options for your mobo

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/p5qpl-am

You do not say what your current CPU and hard disk capacity is, if you post back your CPU I can let you know what modern CPU will be a bit faster.

At this point in time if you do not have much money then the £53 SSD is a quick and dirty fix, but I would not do that.

If I was on a tight budget I would buy a reconditioned but newish PC, without monitor these can cost from around £140 on eBay and are as new (e.g. Acer Aspire), or I would do the Mobo, CPU and Memory upgrades listed above.
    Last edited by EdwardB; 13-03-2017 at 1:25 PM.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 13th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    misterthrifty
    Thanks Edward B, that's very useful. I have tried pasting the system information on here but for some reason??? it casued the board to block me for a day so I don't know if this message will work. TBH, my intention was to spend a small amount (sub £50) to improve the PC with little work required, but it seems it's a bit more complicated. I think for any larger expense it would be better to buy a new/refurb PC. What spec should I be looking for if it is to be used for basic internet & office applications?
    TIA
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 13th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    misterthrifty
    OK, that worked so I will try & paste the system details for my Hi-grade PC

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name PC
    System Manufacturer higraded
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0314, 22/07/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
    Username
    Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 1.97 GB
    Available Physical Memory 215 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.47 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 754 MB
    Page File Space 2.50 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions No
    Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 13th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 13,485 Posts
    • 71,749 Thanks
    GDB2222
    That spec is similar to the PC I am typing this on. You have a better CPU! But I have 2GB more RAM and an SSD. My system is really quite zippy for ordinary office-type activities.

Have you checked yet to see whether your system is doing a lot of paging?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • misterthrifty
    • By misterthrifty 13th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    misterthrifty
    Not sure what that is or how to check for it.....any tips?
    Cheers
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 13th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 13,485 Posts
    • 71,749 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Cheers
    Emptybox explained: "If you want to see if more RAM would be helpful, then open up Task Manager (right click on taskbar and select), and keep an eye on the RAM usage as you work.
    If it's getting up to 80 or 90% usage then more RAM would alleviate that."

Does that make sense, or do you need a more detailed explanation?
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 13th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Cheers

The answer is in your system spec, just 215mb if physical memory, so if you do things like load an office app and a browser you probably hear a lot of hard disk activity as Windows is paging what is in Ram to disk and pulling stuff from disk into ram.

You can see that with 4gb of ram GDB2222 does not have paging problem and with an SSD he makes his PC nippy, problem is what I said above; is it worth spending the money on this box when you could put that money towards a new machine or Mobo, CPU and Ram.

Compared to your E5400 the Pentium N3700 is going to "feel" faster while a Core i3 6100 is going to feel like a racing car compared to that old 5400.

One option I did not mention above was to do the basic £54 on upgrading the RAM to fix the swapping and then overclocking your E5400, the way I see it is that you have very little to lose and most motherboards these days allow you to do it in bios and roll back if it gets flaky.

"The Pentium Dual Core E5400 is quite an overclocker I've found, taking it to 4.644GHz on air."

http://www.overclock.net/t/1115369/intel-pentium-e5400-overclocking-guide

Intro to Overclocking

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

This is spec of your current mobo

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/specifications/

I ran overclocked Core2 Duo systems for years, never had a problem, in fact my buying strategy had always been to buy low end, use for a year or so, then overclock, they upgrade to mid or higher model CPU from eBay when prices fell.

These days Intel locks the chips more and charges more for the ones that can be overclocked.

I would still say you are probably better off throwing new money into a new system or new mobo, CPU and Ram.
    Last edited by EdwardB; 13-03-2017 at 8:39 PM.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Change the Hard Drive to a SSD. A 128GB one can be bought for £40 or less. Stick the operating system and applications on it, leave your files, music, photos on the old drive.

We have Dell systems at work, all 4GB and the Core 2 Duo ones with SSDs fitted feel faster than the Core i3 ones with normal mechanical hard drives. The bane of my existence at work is waiting for mechanical hard drives, they're basically the bottleneck in all computers and have been for many a year. For files between 30-50MB In the time it takes a mechanical hard drive to move the heads to where the data is on the platter for just the first sector the file is stored in without yet transferring anything to the computer a SSD has not only addressed the memory location it is stored in but transferred the whole file.

Until you've experienced a SSD drive you can't believe just how much traditional drives hold back systems.
    • were
    • By were 14th Mar 17, 12:25 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    were
    some m'bords can be picky with ram, but for £15 for 4Gb is not bad
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4GB-2x2GB-DDR2-800-PC2-6400-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-Memory-RAM-4-Desktop-PC-240-pin/321472076259?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkpa rms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3 D20140122125356%26meid%3Dfaa2c5aad7814733aabb55408 504c8c5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot% 3Dag%26sd%3D162379568426
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 12:57 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Great Call, I mean £15 is a pretty low risk to address the paging issue. HP is pretty solid brand so not likely to be incompatible.

Then OP can decide if wants to perhaps get an SSD second hand or go with alternate direction.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 14th Mar 17, 1:19 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    keith969
    It's a low spec PC, if you can get an upgrade to 4gb ram and a SSD for less than £100 then that's probably worth going for. It's really not worth the faff of doing anything else short of taking it to the tip and getting something newer.
    Days are made with waterfall colours
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 14th Mar 17, 3:26 AM
    • 10,156 Posts
    • 4,283 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Don't even think of spending more than the £15 on the PC. I wouldn't even bother with a SSD without support for AHCI..
    Goodness knows why EdwardB is going on about an "Engineering problem". A start up time of twenty seconds as opposed to two minutes isn't just "feeling faster", it IS faster.

The Netbook from which I am posting has an Atom N270 CPU and 1.5GB of RAM. Utilising an HDD, the thing was good for nothing. Sitting for minutes before I could do anything. Enabling AHCI and fitting a SSD, I'm online in 30 to 40 seconds from switching on. Cost me £25.
    The figures he uses for illustration are just crazy.

The problem with the HiGrade is no AHCI support on a controller hub from 2005. For that reason alone, I wouldn't waste any more money on it.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    EdwardB
    I always find it funny on MSE that whatver the subject each person has an an amount of money they think is worth throwing at a problem, even though it is a sunken cost.

There is no wrong amount, I guess it reflects on our financial status.

The OP gave a budget of £50, my level might be a bit lower, perhaps £30, so £15 seems tolerable.

However, I am such a tightwad that I would then try overclocking which is free.

Then down the road I MIGHT be persuaded to spend another £15 because I am "invested" but again, that £30 limit would kick in.

Funny how we all have our own personal limit.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 14th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 13,485 Posts
    • 71,749 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I always find it funny on MSE that whatver the subject each person has an an amount of money they think is worth throwing at a problem, even though it is a sunken cost.

There is no wrong amount, I guess it reflects on our financial status.

The OP gave a budget of £50, my level might be a bit lower, perhaps £30, so £15 seems tolerable.

However, I am such a tightwad that I would then try overclocking which is free.

Then down the road I MIGHT be persuaded to spend another £15 because I am "invested" but again, that £30 limit would kick in.

Funny how we all have our own personal limit.
    Originally posted by EdwardB
    I wouldn't want to spend the money for an SSD on this computer, if that were a sunk cost. But, it isn't. The OP can take the SSD out and move it to any new computer he buys eventually.

In particular, if he buy something cheap, that won't come with an SSD. So, he's going to need to spend that money sooner or later.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Mar 17, 1:07 PM
    • 27,734 Posts
    • 16,617 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I have an old(2008) dell outlet 530, E4500 2.2GHz with 3BG running Vista.

A disc was going so needed changing anyway, cloned to SSD new lease of life, quiet and boots quick probably would be a bit quicker with AHCI for day to day stuff probably not notice.

happy enough and when it finally gives up something serious can reuse the SSD.

my strategy is cheap dell and keep it till it dies

upgraded an old HP netbook to win 10 and upgraded that to 2Gig to fix the paging, that will be fine for a while yet.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 1:21 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    EdwardB
    I wouldn't want to spend the money for an SSD on this computer, if that were a sunk cost. But, it isn't. The OP can take the SSD out and move it to any new computer he buys eventually.

In particular, if he buy something cheap, that won't come with an SSD. So, he's going to need to spend that money sooner or later.
    Originally posted by GDB2222
    Valid points, all.

I guess it comes down budget; with the £50 budget of which £15 has gone to RAM, if a not too shabby SSD can be obtained for £30 ish then it breaths some life into it while saving for a replacement.

People comment that my Laptop is VERY responsive and it is, partly because of the way I have set it up and partly because I have loads of RAM, so it hardly has to swap. It cannot be overclocked, but I was able to get a bargain CPU upgrade off eBay some years ago for around £24.

I do not have physical space for an SSD and could not get by on such low capacities, I did try a Hybrid SSD a few years ago on a desktop and was pleased with the improved performance. I could get a 1TB Hybrid for my laptop but for now I can't justify the cost. Even if I could use it in the future I can hardly buy a new laptop with no hard disk, so to that extent it sort of IS a sunken cost.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 14th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    toshi
    2GB memory with SSD is significantly faster than 8GB memory with Hard disk

However, 2GB is probably a bit on the low side.

2 questions:
    Do you have an SSD?
    If you get a new PC one day would you put it together yourself?

I ask because buying an SSD might be the smart upgrade, but even more so if you later take it out and use it in a new PC.
    I agree with this strongly! Your computer may be infected and dirty but virus scanning and CCleaner run drastically faster with SSD than with hard disk.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/specifications/

Your motherboard uses Intel® Core™2, hopefully you use a decent dual core based CPU.

************************** comment added start

Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    s
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+E5400+%40+2.70GHz

You have got a fairly decent CPU, actually faster than mine one lol.

Is it possible to run windows with 215MB? This should be very unhealthy and unstable.(Even you have 4GB, your computer is dead slow! NO IMPROVEMENT!) Very dirty typical windows environment. Firstly you need to disable all non essential (non Microsoft and antivirus) startup programs

How to Disable Startup Programs in Windows 10

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/disable-startup-programs-in-windows-10.html

This is the first thing you need to do, at the moment, your windows isn't just slow but also almost unusable. (If you add 2-6GB, your computer will be usable but still very slow.)

************************** comment added ends

The best cost effective option to use the existing devices is to get a SSD.

2GB memory with SSD is significantly faster than 8GB memory with Hard disk

This is a 2008 MAC notebook performance test in real environment. (As I tested below, Windows gets the same results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn6zxoh3oK4

I have tested this with Windows 7 by myself. My 2008 notebook has a 500MB free memory out of 2GB (2000MB) With a SSD, your computer will still run BLAZINGLY FAST until no memory left (i.e. until Windows freezes). If you use a hard disk, you cannot make this happen, Why? Because the hard disk is too slow to use all of your memory. (i.e. you give up running more application because a hard disk is too slow.)

Please also note Powerful CPU, additional Memory will NOT make a sluggish hard disk faster. (Yes, once data is transferred from a hard disk to memory, memory cache will kick in. But actual slowness comes from the initial slow data transfer from a hard disk to CPU/memory.

I am using DualCore based desktop (2008) with a SSD for my daily work very comfortably.

I have replaced a hard disk with a SSD 3years ago, I intended to replace motherboard as well later but it is too comfortable to do extra work. Seeing is Believing.

Some cheap end brand new windows 10 computer uses far less powerful CPU than 2008 dual core CPU. For general computing, with a SSD, you will be amazed how powerful your computer is !

Happy computing

P.S. Windows needs 4GB for comfortable use, (My 2008 SSD Desktop has 6GB with no swap-file but rarely used more than 4GB). Linux needs 2GB (comment added)
    Last edited by toshi; 14-03-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: minor correction add memory, msconfig section
    • were
    • By were 14th Mar 17, 3:45 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    were
    my i7 quad core 12Gb ram laptop ssd drive is bench marked (by me) as 40x faster the Mag disk on the same system. It takes me about 30 seconds to boot and load all the crud,

So if I was to boot off Mag disk, calculation wise it should take me 20 mins, but we all know it is going to take less than 5 mins and bench marks can be misleading.

Apparently it all depends on Southbridge, rather than cpu type, speed, ram and OS, Somewhere around ICH7-10 is the chips sweet spot, however other even older version can be also AHCI friendly
    AHCI is built into chipsets with the following controller hubs:
    * Intel? 82801IR/IO Controller Hub (ICH9R) - RAID and AHCI
    * Intel? 82801HEM I/O Controller Hub (ICH8M-E) - RAID and AHCI
    * Intel? 82801HBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH8M) - AHCI only
    * Intel? 82801HR/HH/HO I/O Controller Hub (ICH8R) - RAID and AHCI
    * Intel? 631xESB/632xESB I/O Controller Hub - RAID and AHCI
    * Intel? 82801GHM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7MDH) - RAID only
    * Intel? 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7M) - AHCI only
    * Intel? 82801GR I/O Controller Hub (ICH7R) - RAID and AHCI
    * Intel? 82801GH I/O Controller Hub (ICH7DH) - RAID and AHCI
    * Intel? 82801FR I/O Controller Hub (ICH6R) - RAID and AHCI
    * Intel? 82801FBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH6M) - AHCI only

The result is that the basic ICH7 not that great, but some may get working, on others ssd drives are not tolerated by the system, non will reach the potential of AHCI machines, and at this age and sata version the bus possibly has limitations too.

If anyone with this chipset wants to take a punt on SSD, Amazon is probably the best place to purchase, as you can return it often hassle free. Unfortunately I purchased an SSD for my friend who had a fast AMD x4 and the ssd was the exact same speed as the ide - you just can't polish a turd.
    Last edited by were; 14-03-2017 at 3:47 PM.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    EdwardB
    I agree.......Linux needs 2GB (comment added)
    Originally posted by toshi
    I think the thread established that the issue was very low RAM and budget was £50, helpful post of £15 for upgrade.

We then had the "SSD solves the worlds problems brigade" come in with fair proposal to get a second hand SSD as it might have a use in the future.

Funny how every problem with a computer always seem to have the same answers; so now it is a virus, then tuning startup and of course Linux is wonderful but not everyone's cup of tea, have we missed anything?

Feels a bit like Bleeping Computer, whatever question is asked they throw the same 13,456 tests to carry out before you go any further.

I am starting to pity the OP.

Some good points about old kit, but it does use way more energy,

Funny someone asked me to compare their old Core2 chip vs todays low end dual and quad core chips, Geekbench4 seemed to suggest old chips were faster on multi core. However, my real world use did not really reflect that so guessing still using mostly single core.

Strange because CPUmark says newer are slower at single thread

Single Thread Rating 547 1092 2105
    CPU Mark 1871 1598 5463

I think the power of modern low end CPU's is great for the money, but would be fun to overclock it based on the experience of link I posted above.
    Last edited by EdwardB; 14-03-2017 at 4:33 PM.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 14th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    EdwardB
    my i7 quad core 12Gb ram laptop ssd drive is bench marked (by me) as 40x faster the Mag disk on the same system. It takes me about 30 seconds to boot and load all the crud,

So if I was to boot off Mag disk, calculation wise it should take me 20 mins, but we all know it is going to take less than 5 mins and bench marks can be misleading.

Apparently it all depends on Southbridge, rather than cpu type, speed, ram and OS, Somewhere around ICH7-10 is the chips sweet spot, however other even older version can be also AHCI friendly

If anyone with this chipset wants to take a punt on SSD, Amazon is probably the best place to purchase, as you can return it often hassle free. Unfortunately I purchased an SSD for my friend who had a fast AMD x4 and the ssd was the exact same speed as the ide - you just can't polish a turd.
    Originally posted by were
    I was going to mention about compatibility

My approach would be to look at the SSD's that used to be offered for this motherboard but are now no longer sold (they only sell one new and it is £93)

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/p5qpl-am

Then I would look on eBay for that old one 2nd hand.

The BX200 start at £62 which would blow the £50 total budget but these MX200's are starting at £30 odd

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192128245894

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311822080573?

So bargain zone would be £40 as lowest they sell for recently has been £56

http://ebay.eu/2n6l7V0

I am such a tightwad!!
    Last edited by EdwardB; 14-03-2017 at 4:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,554Posts Today

7,446Users online

Martin's Twitter