Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wee.willie
    • By wee.willie 10th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 5Thanks
    wee.willie
    Named driver?
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    Named driver? 10th Mar 17 at 4:53 PM
    I have a friend who needs to add me to insurance to drive her partners car whose ill at the moment so can't drive. I have 2 years driving experience and I am worried in case the insurance premiums go through the roof when they add me. Not helped by the fact I had a small bump which was my fault recently. It's a 60 plate Citroen C1 and I am 37. Will the premiums go through the roof? I couldn't afford a car of my own when I first passed as insurance costs were eccentric some over £4000 for a tiny Hyundai i10, I've since learned being 'unemployed' or 'sick and disabled' throws the costs up! I have been driving another car since passing my test. Can anyone offer advice on how to keep premiums down.
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 12,683 Posts
    • 8,164 Thanks
    photome
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:29 PM
    a good starting point would be your friend ringing her insurer (or doing it online) and finding out how much the additional premium is.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 12,018 Posts
    • 10,455 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    the costs up! I have been driving another car since passing my test. Can anyone offer advice on how to keep premiums down.
    Originally posted by wee.willie
    Guess your friend needs to decide how much they want you to be able to drive. It's likely to be far cheaper to use taxis unless it's a long term plan
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • clue87
    • By clue87 10th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clue87
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    Your best bet would be to call your friends insurance company and get a quote, they will do that in minutes from experience as when I have been added as another driver on a family members car. Then from there you can decide what to do and its only a quote.

If you dont need insurance for the whole term, you can get a quote is for a few months and see how much that comes up to (iv also had got temporary cover) but like i said you need to speak to the insurance company.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 11,546 Posts
    • 6,461 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:24 PM
    At first and judging my the user name, I assumed you were trying to insure a Nissan Navara or Mitsubishi L200.

BUT it seems your being fairly realistic, if your unemployed then unfortunately insurance premiums can as much as double, I don't know if volunteering would changed that, but might be worth checking.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,566Posts Today

8,536Users online

Martin's Twitter