Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • verntern
    • By verntern 10th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    • 243Posts
    • 136Thanks
    verntern
    0 WOW
    Puzzled about USA ESTA
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:32 PM
    0 WOW
    Puzzled about USA ESTA 10th Mar 17 at 4:32 PM
    My partner and I have recently applied for an ESTA. On checking our status it informs both applications have been successful. What's puzzling is that there doesn't seem to be an actual ESTA to print out and show to the airline and/or US customs officials. All the acknowledgements confirm is acceptance, authorised, the application reference no. and 'Welcome to the United States' !
    Have things been simplified? Many thanks.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 17,883 Posts
    • 7,298 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    You can put the ref in to their website to view and print from there.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 10th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    My partner and I have recently applied for an ESTA. On checking our status it informs both applications have been successful. What's puzzling is that there doesn't seem to be an actual ESTA to print out and show to the airline and/or US customs officials. All the acknowledgements confirm is acceptance, authorised, the application reference no. and 'Welcome to the United States' !
    Have things been simplified? Many thanks.
    Originally posted by verntern
    hi

If your applications have been successful and all your details were right then thats you ok as far as i know.
    I ve applied twice for an esta and never had a print out.
    I think what happens is the customs people will scan your passports,. check you have the esta, things are ok and you will be fine.
    pretty sure the esta s are linked to passports.
    hope this helps
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 12,549 Posts
    • 8,043 Thanks
    photome
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    AS bobby says there is no need to print it out (there never has been)

if for your peace of mind you want to then you can from the website, or just note the ref no and keep that with you
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 10th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    It's electronic so no printing required. The Esta is linked to your passport, which is why if your passport expires you need to apply for a new Esta.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 21,905 Posts
    • 56,001 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:24 AM
    There is an option to print. OH is a belt and braces man, so always does 'just in case'!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • scumsthorne
    • By scumsthorne 11th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    scumsthorne
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    There is an option to print. OH is a belt and braces man, so always does 'just in case'!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    It's a case of "the computer says no" though. A printed copy won't get you onto a plane.
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 11th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:00 PM
    Don't bother printing. It's all computerised. If there's no record of your ESTA approval showing when you try to board the plane, you ain't getting on - no matter how many bits of paper you've printed out!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,709Posts Today

8,171Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin