Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 50,849Posts
    • 138,941Thanks
    colinw
    2017 F1 Thread
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    2017 F1 Thread 10th Mar 17 at 4:22 PM
    Sad way to start it but John Surtees former Formula 1 and motorcycling world champion has died at the age of 83, his family have announced.

As for the F1 testing it looks like this might be an interesting season as Ferrari are looking pretty good in testing. Mercedes might have some real competition this year. Looks like McClaren's problems are continuing though.
Page 8
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 8th Oct 17, 7:03 AM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    uberalles
    Please, somebody remind me, if I ever mention it, never to buy a Ferrari. Us Germans don't do negative reliability.

At this stage I think it is time to concede that perhaps, just perhaps, the better team has won the F1 title this year. That being a German team .

Still, let's keep going to the end. Even if that end is the middle of lap 2 .
    Lost fears of love come flooding back, every time you cry gives me a little heart attack
    There's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    Grab a little pickle & a little slap & tickle, you have to throw a stone to get the pool to ripple.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 8th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 15,256 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Interesting to see if there is an issue with tyres. Feel sorry for Seb, easy to win if there is reliability.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • catkins
    • By catkins 8th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 5,477 Posts
    • 11,590 Thanks
    catkins
    Happy that Lewis won and is so far ahead in the championship. It's not over yet though.

I found it hard to find sympathy for Vettel as I still feel he should have been penalised last weekend.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Oct 17, 9:08 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Please, somebody remind me, if I ever mention it, never to buy a Ferrari. Us Germans don't do negative reliability.
    Originally posted by uberalles
    Most unreliable car I have owned in 30 years was German, an Audi A6 allroad. Pretty sure I paid the garage owner's mortgage for them keeping that on the road
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 8th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    uberalles
    Most unreliable car I have owned in 30 years was German, an Audi A6 allroad. Pretty sure I paid the garage owner's mortgage for them keeping that on the road
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    All I can say then is that it is just as well that, based on your anecdote, Audi aren't in the business of building reliable F1 cars like Ferrari are........Oh wait !!

Of course, an alternative view is that you knew a very astute garage owner .
    Lost fears of love come flooding back, every time you cry gives me a little heart attack
    There's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    Grab a little pickle & a little slap & tickle, you have to throw a stone to get the pool to ripple.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 19th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 21,986 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Fernando Alonso signs McLaren contract extension for 2018
    Fernando Alonso will remain at the McLaren Formula 1 team next year after finally signing a contract extension.

Although Alonso was widely expected to stay at the team, speculation about his future had been rife for months after another torrid season in the Honda-powered car.

He is 16th in the standings with just eight points scored, as Honda failed to deliver a competitive power unit again.

That has led to McLaren splitting with Honda and joining forces with Renault for 2018, in a move that was key in the team's hopes to retain Alonso.

Autosport
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 19-10-2017 at 5:46 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 20th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 21,986 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Some permutations for the US Grand Prix:

If Hamilton wins in Austin, Vettel needs to be at least fifth to keep his title hopes alive.

Hamilton could also become champion on Sunday if he finishes second, with Vettel ninth or lower and Valtteri Bottas no higher than third.

To stop Mercedes wrapping up the constructors' title, Ferrari must out-score their German rivals by 17 points.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 25th Oct 17, 6:01 AM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    uberalles
    Just watched it, well done Mercedes.

And Hamilton, although he still could not pass up an opportunity for a moan.

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it...........
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 28th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 21,986 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Bernie Ecclestone: FIA conspired to help Ferrari gain an advantage in F1
    Bernie Ecclestone says there has been a historical conspiracy of bias to help Ferrari win in Formula 1.

Ecclestone was a decisive character during his time at the helm of Formula 1 – putting profit at the top of his list of priorities – but it can never be said that the 86-year-old – 87 on Saturday – ever failed to speak his mind.

"F1 is Ferrari, and Ferrari is F1,” Ecclestone told Italian newspaper, La Repubblica. “Helping Ferrari has always been the smartest thing to do. It was always done through the technical regulations.

"The teams are important to F1, but Ferrari is more than that. So many things have been done over the years that have helped Ferrari to win."

Autoweek

A bitter old man trying to stir things up for the new owners, or just confirming what many people have been saying for decades now?!
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 29-10-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 28th Oct 17, 6:31 PM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    Glad I saw your post I forgot the Qualifying is tonight!
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 28th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 21,986 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Lewis Hamilton and winning the 2017 F1 world title in Mexico permutations
    How can Lewis Hamilton win this weekend?
    • If Vettel wins (25 points), Hamilton need finish no lower than fifth (10 points).
    • If Vettel finishes second (18), Hamilton needs only a ninth place (2) to be champion.
    • Any other result for the German hands the title to Hamilton.
    • Hamilton will become champion during the race if Vettel retires.
    Telegraph
    • colinw
    • By colinw 28th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    It should an interesting race tomorrow especially at the start with Max on the front row, he will still be smarting about last week, he is the one with least to lose as well. I presume Hamilton will just try to stay out of trouble
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 28th Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    • 17,461 Posts
    • 109,260 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Has anyone read Jenson's book? I've ordered a copy from my local library to read. I had a quick peak at a preview, looks quite interesting.

He didn't seem to like Ralf.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    It’s going to be Radio coverage for me and highlights later, my prediction

1. Verstappen
    2. Vettel
    3. Hamilton
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    Should be an interesting race now!
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 29th Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 17,461 Posts
    • 109,260 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    So happy for Max.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    So happy for Max.
    Originally posted by vivatifosi
    Letís just hope the car keeps going!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    All a bit verve wracking, especially when you can not see it
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 29th Oct 17, 8:45 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 21,986 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    4th World Championship and most successful British F1 driver ever!

BBC News
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 30-10-2017 at 6:45 AM.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 29th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 5,477 Posts
    • 11,590 Thanks
    catkins
    So pleased for Lewis. Shame he wasn't on the podium but not sure if he really cares as the most successful British F1 driver ever.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,066Posts Today

7,600Users online

Martin's Twitter