Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 50,704Posts
    • 138,514Thanks
    colinw
    2017 F1 Thread
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    2017 F1 Thread 10th Mar 17 at 4:22 PM
    Sad way to start it but John Surtees former Formula 1 and motorcycling world champion has died at the age of 83, his family have announced.

As for the F1 testing it looks like this might be an interesting season as Ferrari are looking pretty good in testing. Mercedes might have some real competition this year. Looks like McClaren's problems are continuing though.
Page 5
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 4th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Multi 2,1 (or 1,2) was Red bull code for issuing team orders over the radio regarding the finishing order of their cars in the era when they were the dominant team.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 4th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    uberalles
    Multi 2,1 (or 1,2) was Red bull code for issuing team orders over the radio regarding the finishing order of their cars in the era when they were the dominant team.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Thank you, I also just looked it up.

I know this won't be popular but I simply don't agree with team orders, and I see Vettel chose to fight Webber and finally overtook him.

That is a very different situation to Hamilton's request in which he actually asked the team to issue orders. Such arrogance.

I used to watch F1 loads in the 80's and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got back into it when the masterful Schumacher came to the fore and have since supported every German.

Sadly I don't like the way F1 is going , or has already gone, much like the Tour de France, where you are left wondering if a driver wins the championship because he is a better driver, has a better car, a better team, a combination of the 2 or 3, or team orders have dictated the finish.
    Last edited by uberalles; 04-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    A heart that's full up like a landfill a job that slowly kills you, bruises that won't heal.
    There's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    Grab a little pickle & a little slap & tickle, you have to throw a stone to get the pool to ripple.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 4th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 496 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    Childish Hamilton? What about Vettel.....what was it he said to his engineer oh yes...'tell me where I did dangerous driving'? He was an idiot for deliberately colliding with Hamilton and an even bigger idiot for asking that question. Neither showed the maturity a 30 year old F1 driver should have.
    • DCodd
    • By DCodd 4th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 7,627 Posts
    • 10,248 Thanks
    DCodd

I used to watch F1 loads in the 80's and thoroughly enjoyed it. I got back into it when the masterful Schumacher came to the fore and have since supported every German.

Originally posted by uberalles
    Now I understand! Schumacher vs Villeneuve anyone?
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 4th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 3,540 Posts
    • 7,772 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    What people forget is that F1 is a team sport and while the press focus on the drivers' championship, the big prize money is paid for the constructors' championship and the teams really want to secure the best position possible in that. What they don't want is to lose a massive haul of constructor points because their cars take each other out battling for the race win. The team takes priority over individual employees, even if they are very well paid individual employees that are in the public eye.

No matter what regulations are written to limit team orders, teams will find ways to work around them, which is why the FIA finally acknowledged this in the wake of the "Fernando is faster than you" drama. The alternative is basically single car teams.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 4th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    uberalles
    Childish Hamilton? What about Vettel.....what was it he said to his engineer oh yes...'tell me where I did dangerous driving'? He was an idiot for deliberately colliding with Hamilton and an even bigger idiot for asking that question. Neither showed the maturity a 30 year old F1 driver should have.
    Originally posted by Rainbowgirl84
    Whereas the petulance of a 32 year old F1 driver did? Okay.
    A heart that's full up like a landfill a job that slowly kills you, bruises that won't heal.
    There's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    Grab a little pickle & a little slap & tickle, you have to throw a stone to get the pool to ripple.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 4th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    uberalles
    What people forget is that F1 is a team sport and while the press focus on the drivers' championship, the big prize money is paid for the constructors' championship and the teams really want to secure the best position possible in that. What they don't want is to lose a massive haul of constructor points because their cars take each other out battling for the race win. The team takes priority over individual employees, even if they are very well paid individual employees that are in the public eye.

No matter what regulations are written to limit team orders, teams will find ways to work around them, which is why the FIA finally acknowledged this in the wake of the "Fernando is faster than you" drama. The alternative is basically single car teams.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    I agree, it would be foolish of them in reality to want their drivers to fight but it certainly makes less of a spectacle and leaves all wondering who is the ultimate driver. How would you know?

My memory has already been called into question in this thread but I'm certain that 30 years ago that drivers just used to drive and teams did not make such as big an impact.

That's not a bad idea of yours, single car teams.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 4th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 50,704 Posts
    • 138,514 Thanks
    colinw
    I agree, it would be foolish of them in reality to want their drivers to fight but it certainly makes less of a spectacle and leaves all wondering who is the ultimate driver. How would you know?

My memory has already been called into question in this thread but I'm certain that 30 years ago that drivers just used to drive and teams did not make such as big an impact.

I think it was more about the drivers then but now it is much more about the manufacturers...the drivers seemed to be much bigger personalities then, could you imagine someone like James Hunt in the current setup?
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 4th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 6,012 Thanks
    spadoosh

The team has always made the biggest impact (more specifically the car). Every car is different so its not worth trying to work out who is the ultimate driver. Dont get me wrong i have my favourite drivers but it always comes down to the team.

Vettel was a douche of the highest regard in Baku. Shouldve been black flagged and retired. Wholly unacceptable. Its not the actual incident thats the big issue its the attitude. Its a shocking example to everyone else in the sport.

Everyone knows hamilton is a whiny thing. Spits his dummy out at every oppotunity. Dont like him in the slightest, quality driver though. I was thinking the same with the slow down bottas, no mate, put your foot down.

It peed me off with the blue flags for bottas at the start. Pretty much concludes you can only unlap yourself with a safety car. Scrap blue flags and tell drivers to try harder to get past.

James Hunt got a lucky drive to win his championship not to mention his nearest rival catching on fire, little different from Nico and his infallible car last season.

V-strap is fantastic to watch, from impossible overtakes to amateur crashes. He'll get to perfect pretty soon though i imagine.

Anyway i hated vettel at red bull, then he stopped winning and became a bit more likeable now hes just a moron. I cant see myself getting back on his side anytime soon.
    Don't be angry!
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 4th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4,031 Posts
    • 8,323 Thanks
    uberalles
    Some good points ^^^^^ although I couldn't possibly agree with them all .

But I do love the way you have succinctly almost summarised current F1 in about 100 words .
    • catkins
    • By catkins 4th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    catkins
    I think if Vettel had admitted after the race that he was at fault I wouldn't be so angry that he didn't get a harsher penalty.

He asked on team radio when he had driven dangerously and in interviews after the race completely denied that he had done anything wrong. He didn't just deny any wrong doing he also tried to blame Lewis. He claimed that Lewis brake tested which was proven to be totally untrue.

Yesterday when he knew that it was going to be decided whether or not any further action would be taken he decided to apologise. For me, too little too late. There is no way on earth that apology was genuine.

Arrogance is something often said of Lewis. I don't see that although he does sometimes come across as a bit stroppy during a race but so do quite a few other drivers.

Lewis always takes the time to thank the fans for coming out to the races, to have his photo taken, to sign autographs etc. At an earlier race (can't remember where) there was no practice because of non stop rain. Lewis, I believe, was the only driver to go out to the fans because he said along the lines of "they have paid good money and yet are going to see nothing and that's not fair". He spent ages with the crowd at Silverstone even crowd surfing. I don't believe that is all an act, he genuinely is grateful to his fans.

I have met Lewis once (admittedly quite a few years ago) and he was lovely. I also know someone who fairly regularly meets F1 drivers. They say Lewis is a genuinely friendly guy.

I found it interesting that they said that they were at 2 different charity events with a few drivers. Lewis was there as was Jenson Button. They said Lewis spent literally the whole time talking to people, signing autographs, having selfies taken etc. Jenson apparently looked bored, just did a bare minimum of speaking to anyone and got out of there as quickly as he could.

She said Jenson is good at putting on an act of "friendly down to earth guy" but he really isn't. She said she was very surprised and disappointed when she realised what he is like
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 9th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    Vettel needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. He's still whining on about Bottas jump starting when he didn't. Give him another three points for bring F1 into disrepute again!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    • 50,704 Posts
    • 138,514 Thanks
    colinw
    Another superb drive from Hamilton today but it's all about the race tomorrow....
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 15th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 11,338 Posts
    • 21,905 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Another superb drive from Hamilton today but it's all about the race tomorrow....
    Originally posted by colinw
    I'm hoping for rain to mix it up a bit!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • andygb
    • By andygb 15th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 11,881 Posts
    • 25,628 Thanks
    andygb
    I'm hoping for rain to mix it up a bit!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller

The best part of today's qualifying IMO, was Alonso topping the board in Q1 driving on slicks - awesome!
    He must have done his out lap from the pits at racing pace.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 50,704 Posts
    • 138,514 Thanks
    colinw
    Anyone watching the race?
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 16th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 15,163 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Anyone watching the race?
    Me not sure I would like to predict result.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 50,704 Posts
    • 138,514 Thanks
    colinw
    Me not sure I would like to predict result.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    You can never predict F1.......looks good at this stage for Hamilton but...

I need to factor in a pit stop for loo and coffee though, just trying to pick a gap in the traffic
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 16th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 15,163 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    You can never predicft F1.......looks good at this stage for Hamilton but...

I need to factor in a pit stop for loo and coffee though, just trying to pick a gap in the traffic
    I did loo before race, desperate for coffee now though
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • colinw
    • By colinw 16th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 50,704 Posts
    • 138,514 Thanks
    colinw
    Ok Watts into the pits...start the clock
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin