Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 48,855Posts
    • 133,555Thanks
    colinw
    2017 F1 Thread
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    2017 F1 Thread 10th Mar 17 at 4:22 PM
    Sad way to start it but John Surtees former Formula 1 and motorcycling world champion has died at the age of 83, his family have announced.

As for the F1 testing it looks like this might be an interesting season as Ferrari are looking pretty good in testing. Mercedes might have some real competition this year. Looks like McClaren's problems are continuing though.
Page 3
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 12th Jun 17, 5:38 AM
    • 3,959 Posts
    • 8,116 Thanks
    uberalles
    And Vettel, once he lost out to Max & resulting damage, he did really well to still end up fourth on the ultimately necessary 2 stop race.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    Very true, he did brilliantly and the way he passed first Ocon then Perez right at the end showed a lot of guts and determination.

Darn that young orange man taking out Vettel at the start. Still I shouldn't complain, I welcomed it when the best and most successful driver ever took out Hill so mustn't grumble. Verstappen got his own comeuppance.

Hamilton had it easy from after the first corner and simply had to keep out in front. Fair play to him, he stayed there.

Brilliant drive by the Force India team and the Championship table is still looking healthy, every point to fight for.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    At least this year there is some competition and it is not just about two team mates falling out with each other.....
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 12th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 11,001 Posts
    • 20,541 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    At least this year there is some competition and it is not just about two team mates falling out with each other.....
    Originally posted by colinw
    ... yet!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Really enjoyed the race, proper battling one!

Got to feel for Fernando though, such a talented driver & one of the best but has had no luck this season
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    ... yet!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    I suppose that could happen at both Ferrari and Mercedes

Really enjoyed the race, proper battling one!

Got to feel for Fernando though, such a talented driver & one of the best but has had no luck this season
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    It would be great to see Alonso in a competitive car as well....
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 12th Jun 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I suppose that could happen at both Ferrari and Mercedes

It would be great to see Alonso in a competitive car as well....
    Originally posted by colinw
    It would, I really hope he gets a good drive next season - Im a huge fan
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Jun 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 14,134 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    It would, I really hope he gets a good drive next season - Im a huge fan
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    Suspect he will retire and Indycar instead.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    Suspect he will retire and Indycar instead.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    It is hard to see where he would get a seat which is a shame
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    A bit off topic but I see Guy Martin had another lucky escape at the TT. It was the fault of the bike this time and it's the first time I have seen him shook up by a crash.

• worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 16th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 11,001 Posts
    • 20,541 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Le Mans 24 Heures LIVE on Quest this weekend
    OT, but Quest (Ch.144 Sky) are again showing the start and finish of the Le Mans 24 Heures race live this weekend.

Live start coverage is from 1.30 PM this Saturday, 17th and live finish coverage from 1.00 PM on Sunday, 18th.

Full coverage is also available on Eurosport1, but with a subscription.
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 16-06-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • colinw
    • By colinw 24th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    Just watching the Qualifying now....this red flag is going to make it interesting...might not be enough time to improve on the times already set....
    • colinw
    • By colinw 24th Jun 17, 3:19 PM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    Wow that is what makes Hamilton so special
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 25th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 11,001 Posts
    • 20,541 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Vettel on getting a 10 second stop & go penalty, "Can you give me an explanation when I did dangerous driving"?

Errh, you deliberately drove into & hit Lewis Hamilton under a safety car!

Well, that's that "friendship" ended then, after just a few races!
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 25-06-2017 at 3:50 PM.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 25th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 11,202 Thanks
    catkins
    Great race. I was absolutely disgusted at Vettel's penalty though. It just was not harsh enough. Also for his comments about when he supposedly drove dangerously. He is either an arrogant idiot or just an idiot
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 25th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 11,001 Posts
    • 20,541 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    Great race. I was absolutely disgusted at Vettel's penalty though. It just was not harsh enough. Also for his comments about when he supposedly drove dangerously. He is either an arrogant idiot or just an idiot
    Originally posted by catkins
    Yup! In one interview broadcast on Sky F1 he seemed to be in total denial at what he'd done, in, basically, side-swiping Hamilton. He just moaned about Lewis's prior braking, which he should have positioned himself at a sufficient distance behind to avoid anyway!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 26th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    Wow what a race I could hardly take my eyes off it, must be one of the best races in a long time. It does seem wrong that Vettel gains from a race in which he drove deliberately at Hamilton's car, the telemetry proves Hamilton did not brake test him and yet he still will not admit to being wrong. As for Hamilton's luck.....what are the chances of that coming loose? It should make the rest of the season spicy anyway. Vettel's behaviour reminds me of how he was with Mark Webber when he ignored team orders to not overtake him. Nice to see the popular Ricciardo win though!
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 26th Jun 17, 9:07 AM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 14,134 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    The frustration of the safety car and inexperienced marshalls was completely over-ridden by the excitement of the race. I have never been a fan of Hamilton so I wasn't sure if he had brake tested, but if the telemetry says otherwise, I will go with a Vettel error. Will make for a very interesting rest of season, because there will definitely be no love lost between them, so hopefully should make it exciting for us.

Listening to Ricciardo giggling to himself was lovely, felt Lance Stroll's pain when Bottas just pipped him, though to be fair, Bottas drove a blinder of a race and I suspect that Hamilton may need to fear competition closer to home than the prancing horse.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 26th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 18,136 Posts
    • 41,406 Thanks
    peachyprice
    How the hell to stewards go from 'near disqualification' to a measly 10 second stop-go!

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10927676/azerbaijan-gp-could-sebastian-vettel-face-further-punishment-for-lewis-hamilton-collision
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • catkins
    • By catkins 26th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 5,374 Posts
    • 11,202 Thanks
    catkins
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Exactly! I am still fuming about it. I can almost guarantee that if Lewis had done that his penalty would have been harsher - quite likely a disqualification.

I have never been keen on Vettel and yesterday didn't make me like him any more. That move on Lewis was dangerous and then he was so arrogant saying over the team radio "when did I drive dangerously?" and "What dangerous driving?".

Ferrari seemed to be scared to say anything to him. He really has not done himself any favours
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • colinw
    • By colinw 26th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 48,855 Posts
    • 133,555 Thanks
    colinw
    Exactly! I am still fuming about it. I can almost guarantee that if Lewis had done that his penalty would have been harsher - quite likely a disqualification.

I have never been keen on Vettel and yesterday didn't make me like him any more. That move on Lewis was dangerous and then he was so arrogant saying over the team radio "when did I drive dangerously?" and "What dangerous driving?".

Ferrari seemed to be scared to say anything to him. He really has not done himself any favours
    Originally posted by catkins
    10 seconds for that was ridiculous, if he had of broke the two cars it would have been chaos, he should have been out of the points really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

353Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin