Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 49,602Posts
    • 135,729Thanks
    colinw
    2017 F1 Thread
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    2017 F1 Thread 10th Mar 17 at 4:22 PM
    Sad way to start it but John Surtees former Formula 1 and motorcycling world champion has died at the age of 83, his family have announced.

As for the F1 testing it looks like this might be an interesting season as Ferrari are looking pretty good in testing. Mercedes might have some real competition this year. Looks like McClaren's problems are continuing though.
Page 2
    • colinw
    • By colinw 28th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    After the excellent previous Grand Prix I have to say Monaco was booooooring and processional......I knew Ferrari would get Vettel to win it somehow would love to have seen Kimi win
    • colinw
    • By colinw 28th May 17, 8:00 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    Alonso leading the Indy 500 with 60 laps to go I would love to see him win it but still a long way to go
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 28th May 17, 9:29 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Alonso leading the Indy 500 with 60 laps to go I would love to see him win it but still a long way to go
    Originally posted by colinw
    Just read about the engine failure, suspect that is what he will be driving next year.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    Just read about the engine failure, suspect that is what he will be driving next year.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    Yup another blown Honda engine, although Sato did win in a Honda.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 29th May 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5,399 Posts
    • 11,432 Thanks
    catkins
    Felt really sorry for Kimi. He looked so unhappy on the podium.

I think with it being so early in the season and with Lewis much further back there was no need to make sure Vettel won.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 29th May 17, 7:49 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 8,214 Thanks
    uberalles
    ..I knew Ferrari would get Vettel to win it somehow would love to have seen Kimi win
    I think with it being so early in the season and with Lewis much further back there was no need to make sure Vettel won.
    Originally posted by catkins
    Is that what you think, or know, happened? I'm not so sure. I think that by virtue Vettel was able to keep on Raikkonen's tail for many laps by a matter of less than 2 seconds meant that by staying out he was able to go for it with a clear track for 3 or 4 laps, making the deficit up and more.

Isn't the standard accepted protocol that the team's leading driver in the race gets the choice of first or second pit stop? Did this not happen on this occasion? I'm asking, I genuinely don't know.

That said, if they did call team order's then I don't blame them. As I said before it is a team sport, in the same way the Tour De France, these days. A shame but that is how it is. Vettel is leading the Championship and an extra 7 points can make a big difference at the end. As could the fact that Hamilton managed 6 points.

Agree it was a bit of a bore of a race.
    A heart that's...full up like a landfill...a job that slowly kills you...bruises that won't heal.
    He knows there's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    I got so tired of concluding that there's nothing for us to conclude.....
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th May 17, 8:13 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    Felt really sorry for Kimi. He looked so unhappy on the podium.

Originally posted by catkins
    Kimi never looks that happy, that is what I really like about him, he never plays the media game. I remember on live TV on a Sunday afternoon when asked by Martin Brundle why he was leaving the grid he said "I am off for a !!!!" you gotta love the guy.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 29th May 17, 8:15 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    Is that what you think, or know, happened? I'm not so sure. I think that by virtue Vettel was able to keep on Raikkonen's tail for many laps by a matter of less than 2 seconds meant that by staying out he was able to go for it with a clear track for 3 or 4 laps, making the deficit up and more.

Isn't the standard accepted protocol that the team's leading driver in the race gets the choice of first or second pit stop? Did this not happen on this occasion? I'm asking, I genuinely don't know.

That said, if they did call team order's then I don't blame them. As I said before it is a team sport, in the same way the Tour De France, these days. A shame but that is how it is. Vettel is leading the Championship and an extra 7 points can make a big difference at the end. As could the fact that Hamilton managed 6 points.

Agree it was a bit of a bore of a race.
    Originally posted by uberalles
    I honestly don't know if it was team manipulating the result or if it was just the way it worked out. Vettel does seem to be lucky in those respects though having said that he is a brilliant driver.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 30th May 17, 7:44 AM
    • 5,399 Posts
    • 11,432 Thanks
    catkins
    Kimi never looks that happy, that is what I really like about him, he never plays the media game. I remember on live TV on a Sunday afternoon when asked by Martin Brundle why he was leaving the grid he said "I am off for a !!!!" you gotta love the guy.
    Oh I agree about him never looking particularly happy and his interviews where he seems to mainly grunt make me laugh.

I did think though that he looked particularly unhappy on Sunday and surely being on the podium after so long would have made him smile at least a little?

He really did not seem to went to be there and seemed quite distant with Vettel.

None of us can be absolutely certain that Ferrari made sure Vettel won but it did look as though they did and all the commentators on Sky F1 seemed to be of the opinion that they did.

I don't think Kimi has ever won at Monaco and I personally thought the race should have been his
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • colinw
    • By colinw 10th Jun 17, 7:08 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    Another master class from Hamilton
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 10th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Another master class from Hamilton
    Smug git Hopefully won't be there at the end. He is a good driver, but I don't like him

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • colinw
    • By colinw 11th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    Smug git Hopefully won't be there at the end. He is a good driver, but I don't like him
    He is still a good driver though, the race is a totally different thing anyway and his starting has not been great lately.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 18,395 Posts
    • 42,156 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Wow, what a moment when they gave Hamilton Senna's helmet, he was completely dumbfounded, there was not a dry eye in this house!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • catkins
    • By catkins 11th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 5,399 Posts
    • 11,432 Thanks
    catkins
    I don't think he is smug or arrogant or all the other things said about him. I have met him once and know someone who knows him quite well and he really is not smug or arrogant

Wow, what a moment when they gave Hamilton Senna's helmet, he was completely dumbfounded, there was not a dry eye in this house!
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    I got very emotional as you could see how much it meant to him
    • catkins
    • By catkins 11th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 5,399 Posts
    • 11,432 Thanks
    catkins
    I don't think he is smug or arrogant or all the other things said about him. I have met him once and know someone who knows him quite well and he really is not smug or arrogant

I got very emotional as you could see how much it meant to him
    • colinw
    • By colinw 11th Jun 17, 1:30 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    It should be a good race either way, just wish it was live on Channel 4
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 18,395 Posts
    • 42,156 Thanks
    peachyprice
    6 times a winner in Canada!!

Great drives by Ocon and Perez too.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • colinw
    • By colinw 11th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 49,602 Posts
    • 135,729 Thanks
    colinw
    Easy race for Hamilton
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 18,395 Posts
    • 42,156 Thanks
    peachyprice
    So nice to see a happy podium this year.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 11th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly

Great drives by Ocon and Perez too.
    And Vettel, once he lost out to Max & resulting damage, he did really well to still end up fourth on the ultimately necessary 2 stop race. But Force India were amazing, although there should have been a bit more authoritative communication from their pit wall.

Actually, all things considered, other than Mercedes who were out in front from the beginning, all of the other drivers made it for a quite exciting race in their own way.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,461Users online

Martin's Twitter