Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 10th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 692Posts
    • 487Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    The snowball effect
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    The snowball effect 10th Mar 17 at 3:58 PM
    I stayed at home to look after my son while the wife who, unlike me, had a worthwhile career to pursue, went out to work. The result of this was, for about 15 years, I became 'economically inactive'. I got fed up ringing various companies only to be told that they would only speak to the account holder, so I finally decided to do something about it.
    I started by getting my wife to add me as a joint account holder with Barclays. Then I took out an aqua credit card. Then we opened a joint Tesco account, quickly followed by a second.
    That was when it started. I received a pre-filled form from barclaycard and got one of those. Now I get letters and emails daily offering me loans and cards. I even got one, addressed properly with full name, from provident finance, the well known doorstep lender. Said they could be round tomorrow with £1000 in cash! When I log in to Barclays, it says I have been per-approved for a loan of £12000.
    It appears that, once you put yourself on the radar, you are fair game, and they make it far too easy.
    Last edited by Shakin Steve; 10-03-2017 at 4:02 PM.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Page 1
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 10th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    Agreed, it is very easy for the lenders to market you once you are in the system.

I find it very easy to bin all the loan/credit card applications I get sent. You don't need to take up any of the offers of credit they send you.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 10th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    Me too, I have no need of any credit at the moment.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 10th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    I received a letter from Aqua a few days ago. I don't want or need another card (I already have a Tesco and a Barclaycard) so I shredded it. It's easy to see why people end up owing thousands that they struggle to repay

Avoid Provident with the largest barge pole you can find.
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 11th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4,819 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    CHR15
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    Television is full of adverts too.
    Shops & businesses buy stuff with a little bit of their money and sell it to me for lots of my mine.

Banks etc. are similar, they offer us a little bit of their money in exchange for lots of ours.

It's just an advert....
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 13th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:25 AM
    I stayed at home to look after my son while the wife who, unlike me, had a worthwhile career to pursue, went out to work. The result of this was, for about 15 years, I became 'economically inactive'. I got fed up ringing various companies only to be told that they would only speak to the account holder, so I finally decided to do something about it.
    I started by getting my wife to add me as a joint account holder with Barclays. Then I took out an aqua credit card. Then we opened a joint Tesco account, quickly followed by a second.
    That was when it started. I received a pre-filled form from barclaycard and got one of those. Now I get letters and emails daily offering me loans and cards. I even got one, addressed properly with full name, from provident finance, the well known doorstep lender. Said they could be round tomorrow with £1000 in cash! When I log in to Barclays, it says I have been per-approved for a loan of £12000.
    It appears that, once you put yourself on the radar, you are fair game, and they make it far too easy.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve

BIB is why these companies do this, because it works.

Like any other company, finance companies want to peddle their wares to anyone who will take them.

Funnily enough, I have never had any of the above, just the usual "Would you like a CC/Loan" letters which quickly go in the bin.

The only thing my bank offers me periodically now are 0% balance/money transfer cards, which would be useful if I had any need for them.

The problem is of course that individually, none of these things are a problem. The problem lies when people open every line of credit possible in a short space of time, then gets themselves in major debt before they can say "What does APR mean".

The alternative is to make credit very hard to obtain, which while likely to please a certain section of society, would also cause the economy to crash. We've had an economy based on debt ever since the crown made up the idea to fund their conquests and I can't see it changing any time soon. We do however need to see consumer education stepped up so that people, rather than finance companies are truly in charge of their finances, understanding what implications of each letter offing loadsamoney.
    • mrmagooooooo
    • By mrmagooooooo 13th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    mrmagooooooo
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:02 AM
    I too have a pretty decent credit rating but dont get any of these letters peddling their wares.

I just get the usual balance transfer offer letters from my current card providers and the pre-approved crazy (unaffordable) loan amount on internet banking etc so i agree it is very easy to get in to trouble should i decide one day to go on a massive credit bender.

That said i am on the Edited Electoral Roll so my details cannot be used for marketing purposes. Maybe this is the reason i dont get all the junk?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    I too have a pretty decent credit rating but dont get any of these letters peddling their wares.

I just get the usual balance transfer offer letters from my current card providers and the pre-approved crazy (unaffordable) loan amount on internet banking etc so i agree it is very easy to get in to trouble should i decide one day to go on a massive credit bender.

That said i am on the Edited Electoral Roll so my details cannot be used for marketing purposes. Maybe this is the reason i dont get all the junk?
    Originally posted by mrmagooooooo
    I don't either - then again, I make sure my "communications preferences" show that I don't wish to recieve "promotional material" from the company or its "selected partners" that "I might be interested in." I don't want to be contacted by post, e-mail or text either, thanks.

I'm also an adult who is able to say no, so I can resist this material in just the same way I resist the urge to phone every taxi company who puts a card through my letterbox, or gorge myself on every item on every takeaway menu which is stuffed through the door....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

3,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin