Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jpmbosco
    • By jpmbosco 10th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 5Thanks
    jpmbosco
    Can a private parking company operate on a public road
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:17 PM
    Can a private parking company operate on a public road 10th Mar 17 at 3:17 PM
    I recently moved into a new home and my road to our new home follows on from an existing street. The existing Street has double yellow lines on it and has been adopted by the local council. There are signs up from a parking company on the lamposts facing the street stating the land is private and there is a charge of £100 if you park there. Can they do this as it is a public road?
Page 1
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 10th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    Some local authorites use private contractors to issue real parking tickets, however these are council tickets and the signs will/should be compliant with any fines being made payable to the council

PPC signs will state that payment for a parking charge notice should be paid to the PPC.

Is this road recently adopted? and could the PPC signs just be remnants from when the road was private?
    is the road adopted? have you checked? are the DYLs valid?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    waamo
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    I suspect these are remnants from before the road was adopted. PPCs aren't quick to remove their signs as there is no profit in doing something useful.

You could try ringing the Highways department at your council and asking if they've contracted a PPC for that road.
    This space for hire.
    • jpmbosco
    • By jpmbosco 13th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    jpmbosco
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    Thanks for the responses from Waamo and Half_way. I have found the answer to my particular question. Apparently the main road through the office park my estate approach road is connected to is adopted but not the short connecting road that joins onto my estate approach. This section of road is still private land. I did ask my local council how this would work in the future as I was informed that my estate road was being adopted under. Section 38 planning (which is where a builder lays a new road and the council take on responsibility for it). I was informed that when the council take over the road, they will also adopt he short private road section as well. For now the parking company can operate on the short section of road but will not be able to when the council take it over.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 50,082 Posts
    • 63,469 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    And no-one you speak to will be paying them a penny even if they issue their 'PCNs' we hope?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Half_way
    • By Half_way 13th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    Education Education, Education ( i think ive heard that before somewhere) anyway make sure that all your colleges and friends are aware of this PPC buisness and if they fall victim they should come here.

If your feeling mischievous you can ask the council if any traffic restrictions such as DYLs/no unloading etc will be paced on the soon to be adaopted highway, and if the answer is no, then you could always hide your number plates, and any other identifying vehicle marks ( ie VRN/number below windscreen)
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • jpmbosco
    • By jpmbosco 14th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    jpmbosco
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 14th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    Yes you have a point
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,437Posts Today

6,246Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin