Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martynh99
    • By martynh99 10th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 56Thanks
    martynh99
    Halifax clarity & cash abroad.
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    Halifax clarity & cash abroad. 10th Mar 17 at 2:30 PM
    Just got my clarity card and will be using it in next couple of months for holiday transactions.
    I have a query on cash withdrawals.
    I've had a read of this http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/#section71412152667750 and it seems to say you can't preload your card up with cash to avoid interest.
    However it does say this 'You will still be charged interest from the date that the withdrawal is made,'
    So if I know i'm going to withdraw say 300 on Tuesday, if I were to withdraw that, and then that very same day pay off equivalent of 300 by bank transfer, I shouldn't get charged interest or if I do it should only be very minimal being a day or so between initiating payment and it hitting my credit card - does that sound right ? Is anyone using this method successfully ?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 14,136 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:43 PM
    If you have no other balance on the card, then yes, you can do that.

But don't worry too much about it - you're talking a few pence of interest a day.
    • redux
    • By redux 10th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 17,514 Posts
    • 22,370 Thanks
    redux
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:51 PM
    Whereas if there is a previous balance on the card, then the payment goes against the last statement balance before items that have not yet appeared on a statement.

That means if you pay the cash equivalent back the next day, you won't avoid interest on the cash, unless you pay it in addition to the last statement balance.

I think most people wouldn't worry too much, and pay the sum of these two amounts plus a a quid or two by the due date.
    Last edited by redux; 10-03-2017 at 2:56 PM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 10th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 7,179 Posts
    • 8,840 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    4p per 100 per day.

Focus on cheaper flights. Cheaper accommodation. Cheaper food. Cheaper beer.

Then worry about the card interest.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 10th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 6,272 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    Just got my clarity card and will be using it in next couple of months for holiday transactions.
    I have a query on cash withdrawals.
    I've had a read of this http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/#section71412152667750 and it seems to say you can't preload your card up with cash to avoid interest.
    However it does say this 'You will still be charged interest from the date that the withdrawal is made,'
    So if I know i'm going to withdraw say 300 on Tuesday, if I were to withdraw that, and then that very same day pay off equivalent of 300 by bank transfer, I shouldn't get charged interest or if I do it should only be very minimal being a day or so between initiating payment and it hitting my credit card - does that sound right ? Is anyone using this method successfully ?
    Originally posted by martynh99
    What I do with mine is wait for the amount to appear on the online statement and then transfer that from my current account to the CC account, as others have mentioned the interest is minimal.
    • martynh99
    • By martynh99 11th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    martynh99
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    Thanks all

If you have no other balance on the card, then yes, you can do that.

But don't worry too much about it - you're talking a few pence of interest a day.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Only planning on using this card for uro transactions

4p per 100 per day.

Focus on cheaper flights. Cheaper accommodation. Cheaper food. Cheaper beer.

Then worry about the card interest.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Ticked the box on all those already, sick of seeing sterling conversions on transactions when paying for hire car / villa etc with existing card so hoping to save even more now
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 11th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    Only planning on using this card for uro transactions
    Originally posted by martynh99
    Just make sure you always pay in euros, and select 'Without Conversion' if a choice is offered by an ATM, so that your card does the conversion and not the merchant or ATM.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 11th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 37,748 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    and remember to tell them before you travel.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,554Posts Today

7,772Users online

Martin's Twitter