Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crystal_Pixie
    • By Crystal_Pixie 10th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Crystal_Pixie
    is it best to get a credit card with your bank?
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:23 PM
    is it best to get a credit card with your bank? 10th Mar 17 at 12:23 PM
    Quick background, 4 defaults all coming off this year after divorce. I have had a capital one credit card for the past 2 years and used it regularly and paid it off in full every month.

I have been accepted for an reasonable MBNA card with 4.9% APR for 5 years which is a step forward but with a small credit limit.

Would it be better to apply for a credit card with the Bank I have my salary and savings with? I don't know if they take into account salary and check to see spending etc?

My intention is to get rid of the capital one card and have 2 cards - MBNA and a another to rebuild my credit.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 10,770 Posts
    • 10,681 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    It's often easier to get one from your own bank - though generally not the best card available.

Why are you planning to lose the Cap One card? You'll lose a lot of history.
    • mrmagooooooo
    • By mrmagooooooo 10th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    mrmagooooooo
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    As ZX81 has pointed out. Keep the Capital one card as that has got history which other lenders will look for.

Personally i would wait until them defaults fall off your credit file then i see no reason with your Capital One history along with the MNBA card history why you wouldn't get a mainstream card with a decent credit limit (obviously dependent on other factors, income etc.)
    • Crystal_Pixie
    • By Crystal_Pixie 13th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Crystal_Pixie
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

No I have no plans to apply for another card at this point - just a bit of forward planning for when my defaults come off.

After 6 years of being a "financial persona non grata" I am very nervous about applying for anything new.

My concern is that I didn't want to appear to have to much open credit (even if I didn't use it) as I would like to get a new car next year (saving hard for the deposit). So I wondered if it was better to cancel Capital one seeing as I am never going to use it again?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 10,770 Posts
    • 10,681 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    The best plan would be to keep it and use it, at least occasionally.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,010Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter