Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dazd1970
    • By dazd1970 10th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    dazd1970
    Origin Broadband
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    Origin Broadband 10th Mar 17 at 12:04 PM
    DO NOT TOUCH!

I signed up in the beginning of December 2016, free broadband and a one off payment for upfront line rental covering twelve months.

They emailed me asking about my current phone number, did I wish to keep it or change. I informed them to change it. Nothing happened. I emailed them at the end of December to see what was happening. They accused me of not informing them of going ahead with the number change.

Eventually the switch happened, January 19th 2017. At the end of January I had an email with a bill attached. I was being charged a part month pro rata amount (small amount but even so...), not sure why when I signed up for FREE broadband and a one off upfront line rental payment. The bill also stated that I was being charged from 1st January. The connection did not start until the 19th!

I emailed to ask what was going on, totally ignored.

I had an email to say they now have a customer portal I can use. The latest bill link would not show the bill. Now the customer portal will not allow me to log in at all, even after numerous password resets. I have emailed about this, again no response.

And yet, when they needed info from me they contacted, and responded to me via that method. Seems that if they want something then they can be bothered, but if the customer wants something, they choose to ignore them.

Internet drops out frequently, slowest connection I have ever known since the days of dial up.

Sign up is via long number on debit/credit card. DO NOT sign up, no way to stop them taking money from your account.

Never again will I use Origin, and to be honest, I will further struggle to trust suppliers that MSE places within it's searches. By them being on this site you are condoning their practices and sending unwitting people straight to them.
Page 1
    • AG47
    • By AG47 16th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    AG47
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    DO NOT TOUCH!

I signed up in the beginning of December 2016, free broadband and a one off payment for upfront line rental covering twelve months.

They emailed me asking about my current phone number, did I wish to keep it or change. I informed them to change it. Nothing happened. I emailed them at the end of December to see what was happening. They accused me of not informing them of going ahead with the number change.

Eventually the switch happened, January 19th 2017. At the end of January I had an email with a bill attached. I was being charged a part month pro rata amount (small amount but even so...), not sure why when I signed up for FREE broadband and a one off upfront line rental payment. The bill also stated that I was being charged from 1st January. The connection did not start until the 19th!

I emailed to ask what was going on, totally ignored.

I had an email to say they now have a customer portal I can use. The latest bill link would not show the bill. Now the customer portal will not allow me to log in at all, even after numerous password resets. I have emailed about this, again no response.

And yet, when they needed info from me they contacted, and responded to me via that method. Seems that if they want something then they can be bothered, but if the customer wants something, they choose to ignore them.

Internet drops out frequently, slowest connection I have ever known since the days of dial up.

Sign up is via long number on debit/credit card. DO NOT sign up, no way to stop them taking money from your account.

Never again will I use Origin, and to be honest, I will further struggle to trust suppliers that MSE places within it's searches. By them being on this site you are condoning their practices and sending unwitting people straight to them.
    Originally posted by dazd1970

I'm going through similar issues with origin, mse must be more careful who they recomend
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
    • dazd1970
    • By dazd1970 16th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dazd1970
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    Update
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    I'm going through similar issues with origin, mse must be more careful who they recomend
    Originally posted by AG47
    Further to this post I came across their Facebook page, and since posting on there about my issues they have refunded the money they took from my account.

I still cannot login to the customer portal though, and the connection drops so often it has become a nuisance.

Needless to say i will terminate this contract with them at the earliest possible time that I can.

It is often true what they say, we get what we pay for!

Their Facebook page is easily found. Openly posting on it got me a partial result. Alas i am not permitted to post links as a new user here.
    • digit101
    • By digit101 16th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    digit101
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:07 PM
    Cannot recommend Origin broadband. I paid upfront for line rental and broadband and now I find I am being charged £9.60/month for Broadband services!!

This is unacceptable and the billing portal is a mess.

Speeds are fine but random charges are not!
    • NorwichMan
    • By NorwichMan 17th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    NorwichMan
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:35 PM
    I joined Origin in January, paying for 24 months in advance (which I hope I don't come to regret).

The transfer from plusnet went smoothly, and I have noticed no change in connection speed. All good there, and cheaper.

But then I got an email saying I have a new bill available to view in my account. I logged in but there was no bill (and there shouldn't be, as I paid in advance).

I was concerned, so used their website messaging system to query this. They apologised, saying the email was a mistake and that I was all paid up and there was no bill.

Then - Origin charge my bank account almost £20 by direct debit. This was a completely unexpected charge, there is still no bill showing in my online account, and I have not received a bill by any other means. I have no idea what the charge is for, and it would seem to be an error.

A little shocked, I have emailed them March 14th and sent a message via their website asking them to explain the charge.

It looks like I may not be the only one who paid in advance and then was also charged a monthly fee in error.

I am hoping they will resolve this quickly. I will update this thread with news on this, positive or negative.
    • Sjc1973
    • By Sjc1973 17th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Sjc1973
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    I joined Origin in January, paying for 24 months in advance (which I hope I don't come to regret).

The transfer from plusnet went smoothly, and I have noticed no change in connection speed. All good there, and cheaper.

But then I got an email saying I have a new bill available to view in my account. I logged in but there was no bill (and there shouldn't be, as I paid in advance).

I was concerned, so used their website messaging system to query this. They apologised, saying the email was a mistake and that I was all paid up and there was no bill.

Then - Origin charge my bank account almost £20 by direct debit. This was a completely unexpected charge, there is still no bill showing in my online account, and I have not received a bill by any other means. I have no idea what the charge is for, and it would seem to be an error.

A little shocked, I have emailed them March 14th and sent a message via their website asking them to explain the charge.

It looks like I may not be the only one who paid in advance and then was also charged a monthly fee in error.

I am hoping they will resolve this quickly. I will update this thread with news on this, positive or negative.
    Originally posted by NorwichMan
    Good luck in getting a response from your email, they are yet to respond to emails I sent in February including a complaint. Glad you have got a good connection though
    • dazd1970
    • By dazd1970 17th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dazd1970
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 10:45 PM

Their response to me is that the charge is for the part month as they only bill for WHOLE months. In other words, if you started on any other date than the 1st then you will be charged pro rata. No idea how they square it up at the end of the term.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 19th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 9,592 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    I They apologised, saying the email was a mistake and that I was all paid up and there was no bill.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/howtoclaim.aspx
    • VeniVidiVisafree
    • By VeniVidiVisafree 20th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    VeniVidiVisafree
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    Origin... PUT DOWN THE SWITCH...STEP AWAY FROM THE SWITCH... AND NO ONE WILL GET HURT
    • 20th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    I always check out MSE links first for any switches I need to do... but HOW I wished I had also checked out the forum. This is THE WORST broadband server I have used to date I thought talktalk and plusnet were bad enough. Customer service assistants are polite but bear in mind you WILL be on hold for nearly an hour OR MORE before you even get to speak to anyone!
    I have been with them 3 weeks and all I get is constant buffering unable to watch anything on smart tv, laptop and the wifi for my mobile is a joke.
    I went for the cheapest option but I may have to succumb to losing money by moving and paying more to another provider...

PLEASE CHECK OUT THESE FORUMS FIRST FOR ALL SWITCHES NO MATTER WHAT YOU WANT TO SWITCH... HINDSIGHT IS A WONDERFUL THING!

Does anyone know if l I be guaranteed to get a great service if I bite the bullet and pay for fibreoptic finally?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 20th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 9,081 Posts
    • 3,686 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    There are no guarantees for a home broadband really .Fibre might improve the line but that depends upon why you have problems .

This buffering problem i am going to guess its over WiFi and that is usually the customers setup at fault .
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 20th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Mister G
    I always check out MSE links first for any switches I need to do... but HOW I wished I had also checked out the forum. This is THE WORST broadband server I have used to date I thought talktalk and plusnet were bad enough. Customer service assistants are polite but bear in mind you WILL be on hold for nearly an hour OR MORE before you even get to speak to anyone!
    I have been with them 3 weeks and all I get is constant buffering unable to watch anything on smart tv, laptop and the wifi for my mobile is a joke.
    I went for the cheapest option but I may have to succumb to losing money by moving and paying more to another provider...

PLEASE CHECK OUT THESE FORUMS FIRST FOR ALL SWITCHES NO MATTER WHAT YOU WANT TO SWITCH... HINDSIGHT IS A WONDERFUL THING!

Does anyone know if l I be guaranteed to get a great service if I bite the bullet and pay for fibreoptic finally?
    Originally posted by VeniVidiVisafree
    I have had Origin Fibre for the past 5 months and it has been just fine. I get a consistent 17Mb download and 3Mb upload with absolutely no drop outs or buffering. I am on a fairly long line to the cabinet and the speeds are in line with this distance. I was getting only 1.5Mb on ADSL as I am some 6km from the exchange. I have found the supplied ASUS DSL-N17U to be a pretty good router, but I do not use its wireless capabilities as I have a separate wireless hub

If you are currently having problems, then have you checked with an ethernet connection to your router and the router plugged directly into the master socket? WiFi can suffer from interference if you live in a built up area. Obviously I do not know who you were with before and what speeds you had, but are the speeds consistent with what Origin told you that you would get?

If the buffering persists with a direct connection to the router, it may be that there is a line fault, which Openreach will need to sort,
    but you do first need to make sure that everything within your property is in order.

When you switch ISP, it can take up to 10 days for the line to settle.

Of course you may have been through all this already, in which case we will need to know more (like who was previous ISP) in order to be able to provide more guidance.

Hope this helps
    • VeniVidiVisafree
    • By VeniVidiVisafree 20th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    VeniVidiVisafree
    Techno phobe
    Thanks so much for your reply tis very kind of you... I had intermittent problems of buffering with my previous suppliers but this is an every day occurrence no matter what the time of day or night

Yes the router is just a few feet away and its wifi..

Tech speak clear as mud to me

Cheers tho...
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 21st Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Mister G
    Thanks so much for your reply tis very kind of you... I had intermittent problems of buffering with my previous suppliers but this is an every day occurrence no matter what the time of day or night

Yes the router is just a few feet away and its wifi..

Tech speak clear as mud to me

Cheers tho...
    Originally posted by VeniVidiVisafree
    I'm afraid that these days there is rarely anything such as 'Plug and Play' - despite what they tell you!

Do you have a friend who is a bit tech savvy? I spend a lot of my time sorting out internet problems for people in our village. These can be rather difficult to diagnose remotely - as you may have noticed from other posts on here.

If you had some buffering before, it may just be congestion at the exchange.

Who was your previous ISP?
    • NorwichMan
    • By NorwichMan 21st Mar 17, 4:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    NorwichMan
    Quick update on my situation:

I just logged in again now and, for the first time (12 days after they took money by direct debit), 3 bills are showing in my Origin account. I'm not that impressed in that

a) two of the bills are dated one day apart from each other, cover the same billing period, and have conflicting charge information.

b) one of the bills shows almost £10 of call charges, there is a linking button saying "View Call List", but when I click on that an error message appears saying there is no call history to show... so they are happy to charge me for calls but cannot itemise what calls were made.

c) there has been no acknowledgement of my complaint or communication of any kind - I just thought I'd try logging in again and found these bills had appeared.

Having said that, I think I can kind of piece together the information and it looks like the charge to my bank account is probably fair.

My ADSL broadband and phone line continue to work well, download and upload speeds are the same as they were with plusnet before the switch.

So, I'm feeling better about Origin now there is more info available in my account - but still not happy about the poor communication and confusing and sloppy billing so far.

Fingers crossed that this is a teething issue for a newish company/new online portal, and that things will improve from here...

Thanks for all the previous responses.
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 22nd Mar 17, 10:12 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    WillPS
    I would be very careful about paying upfront for anything with Origin. To be honest, I'm surprised they're still trading.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,139Users online

Martin's Twitter