Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZenLikeBalance
    • By ZenLikeBalance 10th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 10Thanks
    ZenLikeBalance
    Help with basic cleaning supplies
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:52 AM
    Help with basic cleaning supplies 10th Mar 17 at 10:52 AM
    Hi all,

I'm finally about to move and I’m looking for help. At my last place (rented) the entire under sink cupboard in the kitchen, and the under sink unit in the bathroom were dedicated to cleaning products. Then the only other big cupboard was filled with the hoover, mops, brooms etc… The place was no cleaner for it I hasten to add. I just want simple things that clean well, I’m not avoiding chemicals or anything. Everything is pretty much brand new so there should be no built up anything to contend with. I’ve read all the glowing reviews for e-cloths so I was tempted to get:

Glass and polishing cloth for use on stainless only
    Window cloth
    Hob and oven cloth (I have an induction hob)
    Shower pack x2, one for the bathroom, and one for the kitchen tiles
    Bathroom pack
    Kitchen pack
    Dusters x2
    Deep clean mop

Other supplies:
    Stardrops spray (for the kitchen surfaces, toilet seat etc…)
    Bleach
    Washing-up liquid
    Sponge
    Rubber gloves, x2
    Water spray bottle

Equipment (already have):
    Hoover
    Steamer
    Floor dust swoosher thingy
    Dustpan and brush
    Toilet brush

That would give me 16 different cleaning cloths!!! I’d likely have to sew on labels for what each one was for, and make some sort of system to hang them up after use. They're expensive at the start, but pay for themselves over time (apparently??).

Is this sensible? Have I missed anything?

I have a completely clean slate as it were, so may as well start right.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 10th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 2,963 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    I am a great fan of e-clean cloths. I use a colour code system.

I pretty well have what you have listed. I keep one stardrops in the bathroom, and have 1 diluted to spray in the kitchen if needed, but the kitchen e-cloth I use is brilliant at cleaning work surfaces.

I also have a rag bag and use that for ordinary dusters, loo seat cleaners, mopping up spills insyead of 'proper' cloths
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 10th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 10,573 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    I spent a summer working in an American motel cleaning up to ten bedrooms daily before check in. This is the equipment we used:

-towel rags
    -sheet rags
    -general cleaner
    -glass cleaner
    -hoover

They made up their own cleaning fluids on site from bulk-bought chemicals, but I keep the same principles.

You most definitely do not need separate products for kitchen and bathroom- what a marketing scam!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 10th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 10,283 Thanks
    rosie383
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    Agreed that you don't need loads.
    Also, life is too short to sew labels on cleaning cloths. Just have different colours.
    My friend is an amazing cleaner and recommended that I follow this. Blue or green for the bathroom, pink or whatever for the kitchen. Star drops spray (home made of course) for pretty much anything including the induction hob.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 21,927 Thanks
    jk0
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:53 AM
    Here I have:

Dishcloths that are boil washed weekly for most cleaning jobs.
    Chammy leather for windows.
    Cif cream
    Ecover cleaner diluted in a spray bottle does most things.
    Ecover toilet cleaner.
    Oven pride
    Green scourers.
    For cleaning ceramic hobs I use Bar Keeper's Friend powder.
    Edit: Forgot Limelite.
    Last edited by jk0; 10-03-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    • ZenLikeBalance
    • By ZenLikeBalance 10th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ZenLikeBalance
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    Like the idea of a simple colour code system. I'm glad you said that as i'm not a very good at sewing.
    • ZenLikeBalance
    • By ZenLikeBalance 10th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ZenLikeBalance
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    I spent a summer working in an American motel cleaning up to ten bedrooms daily before check in. This is the equipment we used:

-towel rags
    -sheet rags
    -general cleaner
    -glass cleaner
    -hoover

They made up their own cleaning fluids on site from bulk-bought chemicals, but I keep the same principles.

You most definitely do not need separate products for kitchen and bathroom- what a marketing scam!
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Interesting how they used so little and nothing fancy. Yes, they probably cleaned more often, but still it goes to show that those 17 different types of cleaner I used to have were not necessary.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    caronc
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    Stardrops, vinegar, zoflora, "Elbow Grease" are my mainstays for most everything. Bleach for the loos and drains and that's about it
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May £30/£150
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 6,137 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    Unless your hobby is cleaning, or you have a phobia about germs, you don't need half of what's on that list. Fancy cleaners for different jobs are a marketing ploy, they seem to be forever inventing new bottles of this and that, just to increase sales. Most of it is not needed.

Under my sink I have a bottle of cheap wash up liquid, use it sparingly for the dishes in the sink, and dilute it with water in a spray bottle and use it to wipe surfaces down in the kitchen and bathroom. A bottle of cheap bleach to clean the toilets. I clean windows outside twice a year with water. I wash my car with bath water. One can of spray polish lasts me a year.

My cloths are cut up old towels, pillowcases, and sheets. I would never buy a cleaning cloth.

Housework is at the bottom of my priority list, I do just enough to keep it reasonably clean and tidy.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • ZenLikeBalance
    • By ZenLikeBalance 10th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ZenLikeBalance
    Thanks everyone,

Perhaps i'm switching 17 products for 17 cloths. I want a more simple life, my natural way is to complicate everything though.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 10th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    rach_k
    You don't need all the different packs of e-cloths. Just a couple of the cloths will do the same things - they're just different colours and marketed differently! I have a couple of the stainless steel ones for the oven and hob, a few of the glass ones (windows, mirrors, microwave door, kettle, polishing the hob, tiles in the kitchen and bathroom plus anything else shiny) and two mop pad things. I only have multiples of the same ones because I tend to use them and then put them in the washing basket rather than rinsing them out and hanging them to dry ready to use again, so you could definitely manage with fewer.

In addition to those, I have some dusters and some general purpose cotton cloths (we use these instead of paper kitchen roll), plus a couple of scourer sponges for pans and the bathroom (different ones!).

Unless you plan to keep a set in each room, you don't need to buy all of the packs. I'd suggest something a bit scrubby and a glass cloth to see how you go, plus some supermarket dusters and scourers.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Mar 17, 7:07 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 45,693 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I use wilko non stick scourers both in the kitchen and bathroom - less than a quid for a pack of 8-10 (can't remember exactly). We live in a hard water area so need something more scrubby than a cloth but nothing that will scratch surfaces.

I don't see rubber gloves mentioned here - i have a bathroom and a kitchen pair a) because my hands get chapped easily b) because although I'm not germ phobic I like a little something between my hands and the toilet when scrubbing other peoples 'stuff' off of it.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• katkin
    • By katkin 10th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 7,020 Thanks
    katkin
    Another star drops, zoflora, bleach and washing up liquid person here. Those cover all bases for me.

With regard to cloths I separate them into germs heavy use for the loo, bins, cat accidents etc. The floors and then other surfaces which include surfaces in contact with food. So 3 categories.

The really mucky jobs may get binned if I don't feel happy that a boil wash and bleach soak can salvage them.

The best thing I bought for cleaning was my steamer. I now use less product and find it makes quick, hygienic work on floors, loo, bins etc.

Less is more. Don't complicate and clutter your space with cleaning stuff that takes focus away from actually doing the job.
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 10th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,369 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    Screwfix do bulk packs of e-cloth type blue cloths. Save up the used ones and wash in bulk.

Waitrose bathroom cleaner spray is the best I have ever used. Whole suite is shiny. If you have a shower curtain, their daily shower spray is good too. Antibacterial surface cleaner is good in the kitchen - I like the blue one.

Ecover washing-up liquid & general purpose dilutable cleaner.

Sainsbury's Power loo cleaner (black bottle - two versions to choose from).

Own-brand J-cloth type clots & kitchen roll for single-use purposes.
    • frosty
    • By frosty 11th Mar 17, 7:32 AM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    frosty
    I run my own domestic cleaning business and the only things I use are a can of furniture polish and a bottle of bleach.Windows are cleaned with a drop of washing up liquid in some warm soapy water,and a sponge to clean the windows and scrunched up newspaper to dry them.i use normal yellow dusters to dust with and a loo roll to clean bathrooms,I think using clothes in bathrooms spreads germs.I have been cleaning like this for 25 years with no complaints.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 11th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 682 Posts
    • 1,575 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Wow! I don;t use a quarter of that.

I use old sheets, torn up cotton clothes, old flannels.
    If I needed a scouring pad, I just use one of those sponges with the green scourer on it.

Cleaning products I have
    -Cream cleaner that I use occasionally in the bathroom
    -Bleach which I make up a spray with a very dilute amount
    -Astonish orange degreaser which is the best degreaser I have ever used. Mr Muscle and Cillit bang are useless.
    -A can of polish which will last me a year or more
    • ZenLikeBalance
    • By ZenLikeBalance 11th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ZenLikeBalance
    Thanks everyone. Seems I'm on the right track with the products and equipment, and can scale back on the cloths / use cheaper things for some jobs. I definitely don't want another cupboard filled with products and things I don't really need.

Love how those who have cleaned professionally use the least complicated stuff.

Its shiny and new and I fondly imagine I will become a domestic goddess.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 11th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    I use ecloths, too. Love them.

I have one for the bathroom, one for the kitchen, which I really only use for its deep clean, and then the glass one. I also have a couple of their dusters (one upstairs and one downstairs). Cleaning products are one bottle of washing up liquid for stuff that won't go in the dishwasher (lasts ages), one bottle of method kitchen spray for spills etc, again only use minimally as dishcloth does most things. Then I have either method toilet cleaner or bleach.

I also have a pack of dispersible toilet wipes on the loo, mainly because I have a 7 yr old boy with no aim and these get rid of any stray wee!!��

Edited..meant to say, I also have the ecloth mop with 2 pads.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,169Posts Today

8,298Users online

Martin's Twitter