Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Josiv86
    • By Josiv86 10th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Josiv86
    Car Insurance Renewal
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    Car Insurance Renewal 10th Mar 17 at 10:38 AM
    Hi everyone,

I'm after some opinions on my insurance renewal.

I am 30 years old and have my insurance with Tesco. Last year was the first year it was in my name. It had been in my ex partners name previously. I had a claim last year, which was small and in hindsight, I wish I'd just paid it myself rather than claiming.

Anyway, I moved address last month and told the insurance company straight away. My miles have increased from around 7,000.00 to 25,000.00. Last year my premium was around £600, this year it's £920.00.

When I go onto comparrison websites, my renewal is coming out the cheapest (A new Tesco policy is £1,600!). I wanted to see the difference in quoting my old address and it's £500.00 including my claim. I spoke with Tesco and they say it could possibly because I'm not on the Electoral Roll at my new property yet. I registered to vote as soon as I moved, and got a letter saying I will be on the Electoral Roll from 1st April - my policy runs out on 28th March!

I have also run a quote with my new address but taking the claim off and it's still well over £1000.00.

My question now is, would it be better to get a 30 day cover and then start quoting after my name will be on the Register? Would that have an impact? Or should I just bite the bullet and take the renewal? I spoke with Tesco and they can get it down to £909.00. I know that the address could make an impact, but my brothers policy isn't this expensive and he is at the same address as me, does similar miles and has had 2 claims.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Josiv86; 10-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Mar 17, 12:51 AM
    • 25,728 Posts
    • 10,228 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:51 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:51 AM
    Your 30 days cover may cost you far more than the potential savings.

Park the car off the road for 3 days and insure it on the 1st? Cynical me I have a feeling it wont make 1p difference to your quote.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,618Posts Today

7,840Users online

Martin's Twitter