Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • covbaldy
    • By covbaldy 10th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 123Posts
    • 32Thanks
    covbaldy
    Building Control - No refund! Help
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    Building Control - No refund! Help 10th Mar 17 at 10:00 AM
    Good morning,

I'm having an issue with getting a refund with my local building control.

Basically I\m moving house and my solicitor said the buyers needed a building regs certificate for a chimney in my kitchen, so I went to get a regularisation certificate.

BUT it turn out they were talking about a chimney that hasn't been touched since the place was built (or way before my time there).

So i filled in a regularisation form and paid my £257 fee. My solicitor then told me it wasn't needed so since then I have been chasing a refund. I have been told they wont be issuing a refund.

How can they not issue a refund bearing in mind I havent had a visit or any associated paperwork?

Surely I have rights to a refund?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Alan
Page 1
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 10th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    cono1717
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    Did they complete the service?
    • bris
    • By bris 10th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 7,042 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    bris
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    They don't have to, the service is there if they need it. It's not building controls fault they don't need it anymore.

\if you make an appointment with the dentist you still have to pay if you don't show up, just one of many examples of why you're not entitled to a refund.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 10th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    \if you make an appointment with the dentist you still have to pay if you don't show up, just one of many examples of why you're not entitled to a refund.
    Originally posted by bris
    Off point but, no.

The NHS stopped this a while back.

And Private they gernarally don't as you tend to book a new appointment. Especially if you miss a automatically generated appointment.

NHS wise I tend to think this is bad however. It needs all the funding it can get.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,731Posts Today

8,308Users online

Martin's Twitter