Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneymark
    • By moneymark 10th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 0Thanks
    moneymark
    Port mortgage across or get a new one? What should I do?
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    Port mortgage across or get a new one? What should I do? 10th Mar 17 at 9:27 AM
    Hello,

I'm planning to buy a second flat to live in whilst retaining my current house to rent out.

I have an offset mortgage on my current house worth £600,000 with the Yorkshire Building Society with a permission to let agreement whilst I rent it out and live in a separate rented flat.

My mortgage is currently at £159,000 and fully offset with savings and my monthly repayments are £1045. It's fixed for another 3 years at 3.19% with a redemption of £7000.00 if I end it early.

The flat I have had an offer accepted on is £335.000 and my plan was to put down a £100,000 - to £150,000 deposit on this from other savings. I would then take out a second residential mortgage, I understand this is ok as I have a permission to let agreement in place.

I am a self employed and pay myself a directors salary and take dividends. In terms of tax efficiency I understand that it might be better to port my current residential mortgage across to the new property and get a buy to let on my existing one?

Any advice and guidance on what would be best would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Mark
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 10th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 31,140 Posts
    • 16,605 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    Will YBS permit a port where you are remortgaging the current property, not selling it? Many lenders won't.

Neither the type of mortgage you have, nor the asset on which it is secured has any bearing on the taxation of your rental income. You can currently use the interest on a mortgage upto 100% of the value of the property at the point it as first let as an allowable expense.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • moneymark
    • By moneymark 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moneymark
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:19 AM
    Thanks, I was under the impression that the laws regarding taxation were changing and that the amount of the mortgage was no longer tax deductible from the rental income?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 31,140 Posts
    • 16,605 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    The laws are changing, but what I said has no bearing on this;-

Neither the type of mortgage you have, nor the asset on which it is secured has any bearing on the taxation of your rental income. You can currently use the interest on a mortgage upto 100% of the value of the property at the point it as first let as an allowable expense.
    You will, of course, have to research how the changes will affect you.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • moneymark
    • By moneymark 13th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    moneymark
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    So keeping a residential mortgage on a permission to let agreement will be exactly the same taxation rate as a new buy to let mortgage?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th Mar 17, 9:27 AM
    • 31,140 Posts
    • 16,605 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Absolutely.
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 13th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    You really need to speak to an accountant who deals in BTL accounts before you start looking for mortgages.
    I would also speak to an independent mortgage broker ! Not one at the estate agents
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,525Posts Today

9,354Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin