Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Laurendo
    • By Laurendo 10th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Laurendo
    Letting someone test drive my car - insurance?
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    Letting someone test drive my car - insurance? 10th Mar 17 at 8:42 AM
    I'm selling my old car (probably only worth about £900) and I'm getting stressed about offering a test drive. Whenever I've bought a car privately I've just given it a test drive and honestly (albeit stupidly) never really thought about insurance and the seller never seems to have either. But if I let someone test drive it and they have an accident we're both in a bit of a mess. I live on a busy road that's hard to pull in and out of and I can imagine just my luck something will happen. Equally paying to add someone for a single drive around to help block seems like it'll get expensive fast when considered with the value of the car.

The best I can think is sticking some temp insurance on it (as have already transferred current policy to new car) and then only letting someone who can prove they have their own fully comp policy (that also let's them drive another car third party) test drive it. Or they don't have this offer to add them for a day at their own expense and take this cost off the price if they do buy. All seems a bit heavy for a cheap old car. Am I missing some other option?
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Mar 17, 3:00 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 12,354 Thanks
    AdrianC
    No, there's no cause.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    There is in the name of the offence he'd be charged with.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 10th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    EdGasket
    For a £900 you might want to take a risk on not having comp cover for the test drive, so if the potential buyer does have their own policy and it gives them 3rd party cover on other vehicles then that may be enough.

As to the busy road issue, my suggestion would be that you drive the car to somewhere quiet then let the buyer take over.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    That's poor advice. The 3rd party cover to drive other cars with the owners permission only applies for cars that are insured in their own right; NOT for cars with no insurance at all on them.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 13,959 Posts
    • 12,354 Thanks
    AdrianC
    That's poor advice. The 3rd party cover to drive other cars with the owners permission only applies for cars that are insured in their own right; NOT for cars with no insurance at all on them.
    Originally posted by EdGasket
    Thanks for the advance warning as to the rest of your post. It's very well established that some - sure, not all - policies DO extend DOC cover to uninsured vehicles.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    There is in the name of the offence he'd be charged with.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Use, cause or permit.

You specify one of the above in the charge.

If the OP allowed it to be driven without insurance for a test drive he wouldn't be causing no insurance.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 10th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    But, if the vehicle is not insured then it is required to be SORNed, and therefore should not be on the road at all. Perhaps Aviva and AA don't require it as it would be illegal to drive such a car anyway.
    Originally posted by agrinnall

Legalities and Insurance are 2 different things.

I would test drive a car if I had insurance, even if the car wasn't taxed!

In fact I drove my mums new (to her) car home with no tax, but I was insured via my own insurance.

She couldn't drive it on her old cars insurance, as the DOC extension did not apply to any car owned by the policyholder or spouse, but I could drive it, as my insurance was valid for any car (even one that wasn't insured).

(PS - this was in NI, where taxing a new car is not available online out of hours - or at least wasn't in August)

I would do it again if the occasion arose.

I would never, however, drive a car without Insurance
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 11,783 Posts
    • 10,144 Thanks
    jimjames
    Why do you mention causing? It's not like he's making anyone test drive it.
    They're handing over the keys so they're enabling the offence. If they refuse to allow it to be driven the offence won't occur
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    They're handing over the keys so they're enabling the offence. If they refuse to allow it to be driven the offence won't occur
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Yes, but not the offence of causing a vehicle to be used without insurance.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    Car 54
    As already posted, the offence is causing OR permitting. If he permits, he's guilty. He doesn't need to cause.
    • clue87
    • By clue87 10th Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clue87
    If worse comes to worst why dont you just drive it and let them sit in the passenger seat? Thats what I did when I sold my old car off cheap. the buyer spent a good deal of time looking at the car and opened the bonnet whilst the engine was on but didnt actually drive it.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Mar 17, 11:13 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    How is your obtuseness helping the OP?

It isn't making you look clever, so why are you arguing over semantics. If the OP hands over the keys to an uninsured driver, he will get the same penalty as the uninsured driver - 6 points minimum minimum £300 fine on a fixed penalty for permitting.

I sense some dark matters arising perhaps...
    Last edited by Mercdriver; 10-03-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Mar 17, 10:57 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    as already posted, the offence is causing or permitting. If he permits, he's guilty. He doesn't need to won't cause.
    Originally posted by car 54
    ..........👍
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 11th Mar 17, 2:18 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    ..........👍
    Kindly stop derailing this thread Andy McDM. you are adding nothing to the discussion.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Tarambor
    This comes up on here time and time again and time and time again it keeps getting disproved.

Aviva and the AA are just two that I know of that don't require the other vehicle to be insured and when this topic last came up, some posters gave other insurers when the policy is the same.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    Sorry but you're wrong about the AA.

From their policy booklet...

SUBSECTION 5
    Driving other cars.
    If Your Certificate of Motor Insurance permits You, we will also cover You, the policyholder, for Your liability
    to other people while You are driving any other private motor car which You do not own or have not hired or
    leased as long as;
    a) the vehicle is not owned by Your employer or hired to them under a hire –purchase or lease agreement
    b) You currently hold a valid and full UK or European Licence.
    c) the use of the vehicle is covered under the Certificate of Motor Insurance
    d) cover is not provided by any other insurance
    e) You have the owners permission to drive the vehicle
    f) the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition and has valid tax, MOT and Insurance in its own right.
    g) the vehicle stated on Your Certificate of Motor Insurance is still owned by You.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Mar 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    unforeseen
    This comes up on here time and time again and time and time again it keeps getting disproved.
    There are many insurers whose policy documents do not state any requirement for the "other car" to have its own insurance in place before it is covered under driving other vehicles.

Aviva and the AA are just two that I know of that don't require the other vehicle to be insured and when this topic last came up, some posters gave other insurers when the policy is the same.

I'm not saying that all insurers are like this but I think it's wrong to state that it's generally the case that the other vehicle must be insured by its own policy.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    You can add LV to that list. I have an email confirming that they do not require the other vehicle to have it's own insurance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,058Posts Today

6,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin