Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 31,514Posts
    • 37,217Thanks
    Browntoa
    BT agrees to legal separation of Openreach in deal with regulator
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    BT agrees to legal separation of Openreach in deal with regulator 10th Mar 17 at 7:35 AM
    http://news.sky.com/story/bt-agrees-to-legal-separation-of-openreach-in-deal-with-regulator-10796392

The telecoms regulator, Ofcom, says BT has agreed to a legal separation of its Openreach division to address competition concerns.

The deal - which stops short of a full split - means the company's infrastructure unit will become a "distinct, legally separate company with its own board, within the BT Group".
    It goes some way to addressing concerns of BT's rivals, including Sky PLC - the owner of Sky News - which claim Openreach favours BT's own retail business. They had called for a full split on competition grounds.

Openreach builds and maintains the tens of millions of copper and fibre lines that run from telephone exchanges to homes and businesses across the UK.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 31,514 Posts
    • 37,217 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:36 AM
    http://www.directorstalkinterviews.com/openreach-limited-brand-without-bt-group-plc-logo/412725241

Once the agreement is implemented:
    · Around 32,000 employees will transfer to the new Openreach Limited following TUPE consultation, and once pension arrangements are in place.
    · Openreach Limited will have its own branding, which will not feature the BT logo.
    · The Openreach CEO will report to the Openreach Chairman with accountability to the BT Group Chief Executive with regards to certain legal and fiduciary duties that are consistent with BT’s responsibilities as a listed company.
    Openreach, which builds and maintains the tens of millions of copper and fibre lines that run from telephone exchanges to homes and businesses across the UK, will assume greater independence under its own Board of Directors.
    The agreement is intended to be comprehensive and enduring, helping to ensure the UK telecommunications market remains one of the most competitive in the world. Hundreds of telecoms companies already use Openreach and its national network on an equivalent basis, and many others are competing with them. That will continue with enhanced safeguards to ensure all of Openreach’s customers are treated equally.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 10th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    boatman
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    So do we all need to start saving for the new Boards gold plated pay and pensions?
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 12th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 8,067 Posts
    • 2,960 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    The real change will probably mean different biscuits at board meetings. As for there being any meaningful difference... nope. The status quo will remain
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 31,514 Posts
    • 37,217 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    I still think that at some point down the line BT will float it off but on their terms , £10 billion ish would sort out that pension deficit in one hit
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    BT will keep on fighting tooth and nail to hang on to the last bit of control. Openreach is where the majority of their profit comes from. Remember the "Rural Broadband Initiative"? My village was 'lucky enough' to be a part of that 3 years ago. I have FTTC and am still waiting to get "Superfast" broadband. 14 Mbps Down, 0.5 Up. On a good day. And that's because I have Sky broadband, phone and callls.

When I was with Plusnet (BT's subsidiary) I complained about krap speeds and dropouts for 5 years and lots of BT OR engineer visits. As soon as I took Sky, they looked into it and put pressure on BT OR. I had a very different engineer visit: new, shielded line, new BT box, new BT faceplate.

BT has had it all to itself for too long and this changes nothing, it's Ofcom and BT going through the motions.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Malcnascar
    • By Malcnascar 17th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    Malcnascar
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    I'm in the North, so know nowt. However, how about Southern Rail owning Railtrack, railtrack offers same service to all rail companies but only Southern Rail would be reluctant to sue Railtrack if they failed to invest in the infrastucture and turned a blind eye to the regulators wishes.

As I see it that is what happens when BT Group owns the infrastructure provider and only a bit of the "customer" facing business. Really, even though Openreach are legally separated, BT Group still owns the lot. BT Group says we want £xxbillion from Openreach, Openreach say you cant we need the cash for the infrastructure. But you have the cash so Mr CEO of Openreach either spend on the infrastructure or give the Group the return we are demanding. It's entirely your decision Mr CEO of Openreach BTW as your chairman I need to remind you that I report to the BT Group CEO, get my drift?
    Last edited by Malcnascar; 17-03-2017 at 5:53 PM. Reason: bad grammer and spelling, best i could correct still has errors
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,539Users online

Martin's Twitter