Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Mar 17, 6:17 AM
    • 2,899Posts
    • 39,371Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 10 March 2017
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 10 March 2017 10th Mar 17 at 6:17 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 10 March 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry underfoot, but very cloudy and overcast.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting up and ready for work, DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was a joint of gammon, egg, roasted potato wedges, peas/veg - the gammon was probably one of the nicest joints I've ever had, it wasn't huge but there's only a very small bit left. Tonight I'm not sure what we will be eating but I'll organise that today when I do the food shopping.

Yesterday I wasn't very productive at all, I had to go into work for training, and that messes up the day really. I did get into town to visit the bank and building society first thing though. I got stuck in with the washing and got everything out on the line - it's not all completely dry but enough - so have quite a pile of ironing, I'll do that later. I did clean the bathrooms and shove the hoover round and now we've tackled several "hotspots" it's generally not as untidy so it doesn't look too bad most of the time. I did also take my sis's birthday card and prezzie to her so she has it for her birthday which is on Sunday.

Today's plans are visiting the SM first thing, home to unpack shopping and then do the ironing. Strip and remake beds - washing and line dry bed linen if possible. Really need to do some baking/cooking - this is a must - I haven't done any for weeks, I have sweet potatoes in the bottom of the fridge so I'll buy carrots today and make up a jug of roasted sweet potato and carrot soup, that'll be tomorrow and Monday's lunch possibly Tuesday's as well - depends if anyone else wants some. Also need to make some cake/pastry type desserts - so probably will make sponge cake/cupcakes, mince pies, oat biscuits or cookies I have loads of ingredients it just all sits in the cupboard. I know once I get going with it I'll be satisfied and think why didn't I do this before! It helps so much with the shopping bill to, having the different food to offer for snacks.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-03-2017 at 6:39 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 33,848 Thanks
    Floss

Please stop snoring.

PLEASE will you stop snoring.

Turn on your side and be quiet.

SHUT THE HELL UP! RIGHT NOW!!!

Originally posted by LameWolf
    ^^ I'm the fidgeting one, but DH gets a pillow over his head to muffle him...am surprised Candygirl can't hear him at her end of the M55!
    • elona
    • By elona 10th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 60,596 Thanks
    elona
    Dull and grey day so no washing done but have a load ready to go as soon as the weather clears up. Finally got round to posting back a parcel for dd and arranging to meet older dd in York tomorrow after the lecture for U3A.

I even got round to asking a neighbour about his gardener and if he or she could get this place sorted out. It turns out he has just got a new gardener who the neighbour across the road is also using There is a huge shrub outside the window that blocks out light and "grabs you as you walk past!
    He has also been widowed recently so we had a chat and a laugh and a cry together which did us both good.

Insidious advertising (and a price reduction) has led to me having a "pie" for tea A small cake may have fallen into my basket as well to have later with a pot of tea.

I feel quite a gadabout with two U3A trips and a library training session this week! I have been using a steam mop but it does not get into the corners properly so have splashed out and ordered a special modern stringy type mop. The steam one is great for a quick whizz around but not for deep cleaning etc.

Hester

Hope the boat is getting on well and don't forget things can be hung up on hooks - pots, pans, cups etc.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 35,560 Thanks
    Gers
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/health/health-advice/what-to-do-if-you-wake-up-in-the-night?utm_source=crm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign =GDH_N_20170310&utm_content=na&utm_term=na

Just came across this article, haven't read it but thought I'd share.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 33,848 Thanks
    Floss
    Gers thanks for the article - I will read whilst DH cooks us (y/s) pigeon breasts, (parsnip) game chips and (stale) bread sauce for supper!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 10th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 107,819 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Gers thanks for that - only thing is, that article assumes you've actually got to sleep in the first place!

Joking aside, a certain amount of the problem with me is that I learned as a small child to fear sleep - because if you were asleep you were vulnerable; if you were awake and feigning sleep, you could scrunch up into a virtually imprenetrable ball, tangled up in all the bedclothes, so that you couldn't be Got At.
    Before I moved in with Mr LW, although I was married before, I'd slept alone for many years; and I wonder if it's just too late for me to ever be able to get proper sleep with someone else present.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 35,560 Thanks
    Gers

Gers - It's actually going to be in my hometown of Airdrie. If I don't go for this flat though I think I'll go city centre of Glasgow, probably Clyde-side.

Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes. Getting excited and I got my mortgage in principle at lunchtime there too. Have to remind myself not to get too excited!
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    Even more congrats Speky, you're on the track now. Airdrie is lovely. I'm an EK gal of old!

The Clyde side has been so well renovated, great views.

Best of luck in your search.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Mar 17, 8:46 PM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,861 Thanks
    Judi
    Evening all,

‘Often, you think you need the toilet more than you actually do,’ says Dr Meadows. ‘If you notice a slight urge but don’t act on it – in mindfulness terms, "notice and let go of the thought" – then you can help move your body out of these bad habits.'

Wanting a wee at 2 and 5am is not a bad habit. Its a necessity or i'd pee the bed.

Sleep well all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 10th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 14,478 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Gers any recommendation for place to stay around Loch Fyne (west side). Diving weekend at the end of the month and I can't be bothered to drive all the way back. There might also be a seafood restaurant to visit

I leave at 0430 tomorrow for my skiing I'll be reading while I'm away if I can. Be good while I'm away
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • echo_and_narcissus
    • By echo_and_narcissus 10th Mar 17, 11:21 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    echo_and_narcissus
    Evening all

Hope everyone is well. My newly-budgeted month is going reasonably well so far. I need to keep a good eye on fridge stock as I had to throw a packet of chicken away as it went out of date. Tut tut to me 🙁

The kids have enjoyed my forays into home baking in the last couple of weeks. I've made mini quiches, oat and raisin cookies, fudge and a sponge birthday cake which turned out really well. Am going to look for a couple of sponge baking tins to experiment with cake baking a bit more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,166Posts Today

6,421Users online

Martin's Twitter