Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 10th Mar 17, 12:01 AM
    • 838Posts
    • 247Thanks
    rockingbilly
    Time Limits - MR for PIP
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:01 AM
    Time Limits - MR for PIP 10th Mar 17 at 12:01 AM
    I have just received the PIP decision that I received 0 points. I have until the end of this month to get the MR to the DWP.
    I need:
    a copy of the PIP2 form that was filled in and sent back
    copies of all of the evidence that was attached to the PIP2
    copies of the additional evidence that is in both the ESA and DLA claim files.
    full explanation as to how they came to award me 0 points and not having had a face to face assessment.

In addition I will have to see Welfare Rights to help with the MR. There is approx. a 5 week waiting list.

As this is going to take time which I cannot control, does anybody know if you can get an extension to the 30 days because the DWP are holding it all up?

In the past I was told that the DWP automatically give a 14 day extension to get the PIP2 form back to them. I got 7 days. I don't know how long to ask for as it depends on when the DWP get their act together and send me all of the above info.
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:06 AM
    Information on MR here.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/

In general, it's not so easy to get an extension on an MR. If you can't get help in time (I know I said you'd need it elsewhere) put something in along the lines recommended here. From what you said on your other thread you have scored nil points so you are going to have to explain, using the PIP descriptors where you think you should score points

This format is often used as a guide

https://www.leicester.gov.uk/media/178163/mandatory-reconsideration-request.pdf

Btw you weren't told they automatically gave 14 days. You were told that they usually did
    Last edited by NeilCr; 10-03-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 10th Mar 17, 4:47 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Jack Itin
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:47 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 4:47 AM
    DWP will have all of the above details on your file, I had no other medical evidence to send to them, so just sent off a letter detailing were I disagreed with their original decision....it took eleven days before the letter "entered their system" as they put it....it is a good idea to send off your MR letter as soon as possible, explaining that other "evidence", if there is any, is to follow......Jack,
    Retired (Early) April 2015
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 10th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    • 14,917 Posts
    • 21,131 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    I have just received the PIP decision that I received 0 points. I have until the end of this month to get the MR to the DWP.
    I need:
    a copy of the PIP2 form that was filled in and sent back
    copies of all of the evidence that was attached to the PIP2...
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    You should have taken "copy of the PIP2 form" before you sent it to the DWP, PIP2 specifically tells you to only send photocopies of any documents i.e. evidence.

So that's down to you, not the DWP.

...copies of the additional evidence that is in both the ESA and DLA claim files.
    full explanation as to how they came to award me 0 points and not having had a face to face assessment...
    Don't you have a four page letter from the DWP? Doesn't that tell you anything? You can request a copy of the HCP report from the DWP if you want.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 10th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    bspm
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:59 AM
    You should have taken "copy of the PIP2 form" before you sent it to the DWP, PIP2 specifically tells you to only send photocopies of any documents i.e. evidence.

So that's down to you, not the DWP.

Don't you have a four page letter from the DWP? Doesn't that tell you anything? You can request a copy of the HCP report from the DWP if you want.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    rockingbilly Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM
    MoneySaving Stalwart

Whats this?
    Quote:
    The letter I have is 4 pages long. It starts off saying that they have looked at the PIP2 and the evidence I sent in. Then it goes into to weird lingo telling me the points and descriptors given and at the end it says that I am not entitled to PIP and that my DLA award which was suspended has been terminated from the date of the suspension.
    Then there is a bit about appeal rights for PIP and that I don't have any appeal rights for DLA.
    To me I don't see anything changing even if I did a MR. The impression I get is that my claim wasn't good enough to even warrant a face to face assessment!
    I suspect I know the reason - I wonder if there is a chance that I could put in another PIP2 form to supersede the first and get some professional help in filling it in.

You have enough information from the DWP on the points not given against the list of descriptors, I believe you have said you scored 0 points, you do not need to ask for extensions, or ask for all that info, the descriptors are self explanatory, you need to meet them to receive PIP.

I don't believe you can claim PIP at your age, so you have to do a MR or as you said in another thread, apply for AA.
    Last edited by bspm; 10-03-2017 at 9:02 AM.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 10th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    bspm
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:17 AM
    ^^^^^^^
    Against my better judgement I have replied to this poster, this will be my last comment.

He confuses me, changes his stories too often and tries to blame others for his loss of PIP.

It is always someone else's fault apparently.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 10th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 14,917 Posts
    • 21,131 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    You have enough information from the DWP on the points not given against the list of descriptors, I believe you have said you scored 0 points, you do not need to ask for extensions, or ask for all that info, the descriptors are self explanatory, you need to meet them to receive PIP.

I don't believe you can claim PIP at your age, so you have to do a MR or as you said in another thread, apply for AA.
    Originally posted by bspm
    Yes, I would have thought that setting out "the points and descriptors given" in a 4 page letter would have covered it.

And one might also point out that the following also applies;

...Why are people so fixated on the descriptors and points awarded?
    Surely the best advice is to be totally honest with your answers that you put on the PIP2 and let the Assessor/DWP decide what descriptors you fit and what points should be awarded.
    It seems to me that the general advice is to complete the PIP2 using the descriptors as a guide instead of explaining the actual situation that each person finds themselves in.

I didn't even write anything on my PIP2 nor did I read what had been put there, but I do suspect that what was written down for me mirrored my particular circumstances without any regard as to what the descriptors say.
    From which we can conclude that the OP was "totally honest" in the answers put on the PIP2, and that what was written "mirrored my particular circumstances". Although it seems that whilst the OP was once happy to "let the Assessor/DWP decide" on what descriptors fitted and what points should be awarded, they are now unhappy that the result was null points, and want to challenge it.

Such is life.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:15 PM
    I need:

copies of the additional evidence that is in both the ESA and DLA claim files.
    Evidence on the ESA claim form has absolutely no relevance to your PIP claim. The two benefits are independant of each other and have different qualifying criteria.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    Bear in mind that they rarely change their mind at MR anyway. If I were you, I'd focus on lodging the MR within the time limit so you can focus your energy on the appeal. You'll get copies of everything you sent them in the big appeal pack they'll send you when you request an appeal.

I'm actually surprised you don't already have copies of everything. I thought you'd said on another thread that you had extensive experience of sickness/disability benefits. My experience is not nearly so extensive, having only been on and off sickness benefits over a period of a few years, but I understand the need to keep copies of everything a) in case something gets lost and b) because folk can lose track of what they've sent when they're ill/stressed. If you weren't already aware of this, it's definitely something to remember for the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,101Posts Today

9,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin