Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dippa
    • By dippa 9th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dippa
    Speeding ticket with tampered vehicle sheet!
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    Speeding ticket with tampered vehicle sheet! 9th Mar 17 at 11:52 PM
    I work as a delivery driver and was called into a investigation today for a speeding ticket, which happened on the 21st Feb.

My boss who was conducting the investigation pulled out my vehicle check sheet, which is a legal document. To my surprise it had been tampered with and the reg had been crossed out and changed to the vehicle which had been caught on camera!

I questioned this and my boss came up with, I must have put the wrong reg in when checking the vehicle so the supervisor would have changed it.

My boss then checked to see if I had clocked in that day, which I had. She then checked the running sheet for the 21st, which states what delivery addresses I would have had for that day. She compared the speed camera time to each delivery to see if I was in the same area, which I was.

The company has 20 plus delivery vans, which cover the same areas everyday. There will be several vans going through the same area throughout the same day continuously. The running sheet just states I was in the area at the time of the offence, not what van I was in.

My boss has already sent my details to the police, which I feel is wrong because she should be investigating why this vehicle check sheet has been tampered with and finding out who was actually driving the van before sending anyones details.

What am I best to do now ? I'm not sure if it was me driving that van but from what I wrote on that sheet, I checked and signed for a different van entirely and there's is no proof of me driving the van, which went through the speed camera.

I have my investigation being continued tomorrow and waiting for the speeding ticket to be posted. I remember seeing the letter the police sent the company being the 8th March, would this mean it's within the 14 days ?

Any help and advice is appreciated
    Last edited by dippa; 10-03-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 15,483 Posts
    • 13,800 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Once my NIP comes through the door, how do I go about sending off for photographic evidence?
    Originally posted by dippa
    Simply write a letter saying that you are unsure whether you were the driver or not, as it is a work vehicle that is used by many drivers, and there is confusion about whether it was allocated to you on the day or not (don't go into more detail) - and it is possible that seeing the photographs will help with clarification.

You may well get an answer that the photos do not show the driver clearly. In that case, you're going to need to decide whether to put your hand up for it, or take it to court.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Thanks for the advice

Once my NIP comes through the door, how do I go about sending off for photographic evidence? I don't want to put myself in the position of getting a S172.

In regards to work, I am unsure if anyone has signed for the other van, I shall find out in my investigation later.
    Once you get your nip join up to pepipoo.com.
    • craig1123
    • By craig1123 10th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    craig1123
    I though an S172 only applied to the registered keeper.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Originally posted by craig1123
    No it can be issued to anyone. In this case the OP was the keeper at the time of the offence.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Car 54
    Originally posted by craig1123
    Normally - but not necessarily - the first s172 request goes to the RK.

If he nominates someone else as driver then another s172 request is sent to that person. And so on if necessary.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Thanks for the advice

Once my NIP comes through the door, how do I go about sending off for photographic evidence? I don't want to put myself in the position of getting a S172.

In regards to work, I am unsure if anyone has signed for the other van, I shall find out in my investigation later.
    As above, don't use the word evidence. Just ask for photos to assist with identification. They don't have to provide them, but usually will provided you don't ask for evidence. You won't necessarily get the 'money shot' if taken from a video stream from a camera van. You will get a shot of the vehicle, but often from the rear.
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Mar 17, 6:05 PM
    • 2,905 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    facade
    I'd take this one over to pepipoo.

Are you absolutely sure that you were driving the van underneath the crossing out?

Seems to me that the simplest way to make the speeding go away would have been for the docket for the guilty van to just vanish. Then your company could not respond to the S172 at all, and the company would have been prosecuted for failing to name, and received the maximum fine, but no-one can get any points on their licence.

So stitching you up, by simply crossing out the van you drove, and writing in the guilty van in crayon would be rather stupid, as you are simply going to swear that you can't name a driver as you were driving another van at the time, and offer the altered docket as proof.
    Then someone is going to face charges of attempting to pervert the course of justice, which can carry a jail term. The only way to make this one work out is for you to agree that it was you driving when someone "reminds" you that it was definitely you driving, as it appears that you had left an envelope full of cash with your name on it inside on that day, that they had "forgotten" to give you until today.

All a bit elaborate, and sometimes Occam's Razor applies I'm afraid...
    Last edited by facade; 10-03-2017 at 6:09 PM.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • steppevos
    • By steppevos 10th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    steppevos
    Another vote for taking this one over to http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=5
    I'd take this one over to pepipoo.

Seems to me that the simplest way to make the speeding go away would have been for the docket for the guilty van to just vanish. Then your company could not respond to the S172 at all, and the company would have been prosecuted for failing to name, and received the maximum fine, but no-one can get any points on their licence.
    Originally posted by facade
    The company would still get a hugh fine (£ 1000-2000 if I remember correctly).
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 10th Mar 17, 8:02 PM
    • 4,142 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    No it can be issued to anyone. In this case the OP was the keeper at the time of the offence.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Although the requirements are different between the RK and "anyone else":

2)Where the driver of a vehicle is alleged to be guilty of an offence to which this section applies—

(a)the person keeping the vehicle shall give such information as to the identity of the driver as he may be required to give by or on behalf of a chief officer of police, and

(b)any other person shall if required as stated above give any information which it is in his power to give and may lead to identification of the driver.
    Note that "any other person" is only required to give information that it's "in their power" to give. It comes down to a question of how far over backwards you have to bend for them. Someone named as a driver by the RK can more easily state that it wasn't them and they have no idea who it was. In which case (at least in theory) it bounces back to the RK.

If you think about it, that makes perfect sense because otherwise you could get off any ticket by naming some random person then leaving them to carry the can.

In the OP's case, if he's certain that he was driving the van that's been crossed out on the log (so there won't be records to say otherwise) then simply stating that he was driving that vehicle (as he'd signed for) on that day so it isn't in his power to say who was driving the van concerned should be enough to return it to the company for them to sort out and likely get a fine because their records were screwed up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,397Users online

Martin's Twitter