Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TepidSoup
    • By TepidSoup 9th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TepidSoup
    Does insurer know who mortgage is with?
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    Does insurer know who mortgage is with? 9th Mar 17 at 10:56 PM
    FTB here. I was wondering if our building insurance provider knows, or needs to know, who we went with for our mortgage? I understand I'll be telling our mortgage provider who insures the house, bit what about the other way round?
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 9th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:59 PM
    I can't say I've ever put that information in when getting buildings insurance. I also haven't told my mortgage lender when I've switched. I think it was just a term of the mortgage that we have insurance for an amount required in order to reinstate the building. But I'll have to check the terms now to see if I should be updating them...
    • TepidSoup
    • By TepidSoup 9th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TepidSoup
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:08 PM
    From my own research it seems likely they would want to know if it changed. Thanks for the quick reply, it's calmed my OH who was panicking that we maybe didn't complete the form correctly
    • dgtazzman
    • By dgtazzman 10th Mar 17, 1:47 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    dgtazzman
    • 10th Mar 17, 1:47 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 1:47 AM
    Depends on the mortgage provider. HSBC demanded a statement from my insurance company confirming they new the house was mortgaged with them, while Nationwide only wanted confirmation the house was insured on my previous house a few years back.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Mar 17, 2:47 AM
    • 39,283 Posts
    • 44,647 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:47 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:47 AM
    Many mortgage lenders require that they are named as an interested party on the insurance.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 10th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:15 AM
    Depends on the mortgage provider. HSBC demanded a statement from my insurance company confirming they new the house was mortgaged with them, while Nationwide only wanted confirmation the house was insured on my previous house a few years back.
    Originally posted by dgtazzman
    Really? I have my mortgage from HSBC (branded as First Direct) and I don't remember this. Worried I missed something now!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 35,153 Posts
    • 148,334 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    Insurers usually ask if you want a 3rd party's interest registered on the policy.

What is the big secret?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 13,979 Posts
    • 12,379 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    Anybody can find out who your mortgage is with. It costs an individual a couple of quid to get the information from the Land Registry, and corporates will have access deals.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 10th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 31,325 Posts
    • 16,736 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:55 AM
    Since the expiry of the agreement between bankers and insurers, mortgage lenders can no longer demand to be added to policies as interested parties, or joint insured.

However, some will want one of those options so you would have to ask your insurer if they would like to oblige.

As with many things in the mortgage market, each lender has its own requirements.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 12th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    casper_g
    Insurers usually ask if you want a 3rd party's interest registered on the policy.

What is the big secret?
    Originally posted by silvercar
    I don't remember ever seeing this when buying insurance online. I've only been a homeowner for five years, so maybe things have changed in the last few years?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Ive never had that question ever
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,879Users online

Martin's Twitter