Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fonque
    • By Fonque 9th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 102Thanks
    Fonque
    FTB Asks some Stupid Questions...
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:54 PM
    FTB Asks some Stupid Questions... 9th Mar 17 at 10:54 PM
    Hello,

I am a FTB and have recently had an offer accepted on a GF flat in a small block.
    My mortgage application is good to go and the solicitors are set to maul the paperwork.
    I maybe somewhat premature but now my thoughts turn to actually moving in but I have large gaps in my knowledge in that area, not so much moving checklists but things like:

Knowing who/ how I find out who supplies the gas/electric to the flat?
    Ditto for broadband? If I can get this sorted before moving in it would be great as I do not have a smartphone.
    Is it possible to sort them out before moving in? (As I see some great deals on here but can I take advantage of them if I've not moved into the flat yet?
    Will the EA have access to that information?
    Also I will have to purchase an oven and a washing machine, can I get them plugged in before my moving in day?
    As the flat has been empty for a few months is it worth getting the boiler serviced right away or can that be done later?

From what I've gathered from this excellent forum, as soon as you've moved in it's been suggested to:
    Change the locks for security (as you don't know who may have a key)
    Take pictures of meter readings for suppliers.
    Acquaint oneself with the breaker board, even though I'm not sure what I'd been looking at.
    Find the stopcocks. Inside and outside.

Any other suggestions or tips that as a FTB and hopefully soon-to-be-moving-inner I may not be aware of / never considered?

Sorry for all the questions but I feel like I'm flying blind and I'd feel better with a basic idea of what I'm doing.
Page 1
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 9th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 2,135 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    - Broadband, telephone and utilities providers will be revealed as part of the sellers information form (which you should get a copy/summary of from your solicitor)
    - You can arrange things but it'll have to be on the day of/day after completion and you need to bear in mind that if completion is delayed you may have issues
    - Probably not a good idea to start moving things in before completion as it could fall through or get delayed
    - Getting the boiler serviced might not be a bad thing, the last service date (if known) will also be on the sellers information form.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Mar 17, 12:42 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 3,531 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:42 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:42 AM
    You can't change things or move anything into the property until you own it.
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 10th Mar 17, 1:35 AM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    • 10th Mar 17, 1:35 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 1:35 AM
    Food (remembering no oven and no fridge for a while); kettle; parking; neighbours; optimism. Good luck!
    all your base are belong to us
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 10th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 8,807 Thanks
    nimbo
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    Also a standard oven won't just plug in. It will need to either be properly hooked up to the electrics or a gas safe / corgi registered - what ever the name is now will need to connect.

Washers are dead simple. (We have a tame engineer) best thing I've ever seen was when we moved into this house - rented. He didn't know which pipe was the cold for the cold fill machine. So run the hot tap until the water is warm and feel both pipes.

We've lived here years and I'm still impressed by that.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 3 / 500
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 10th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 557 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:56 AM
    You can't move in things etc before completion, but as a FTB, you could overlap your current residence and flat ownership. As you don't need to sell, you can complete on the purchase, and then set up broadband, service boilers, move in appliances etc while still renting / living where you are, and move in to the flat sometime later.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 10th Mar 17, 10:36 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:36 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:36 PM
    Mind that when you move in, you automatically take over the gas and electric from the same supplier as the seller - and this will be on their standard tariff (higher cost). There is no minimum term though, so just before you move, do your research on who is cheapest and initiate the switch the day after you move.

It maybe that the old supplier is a good price, if so, great - if not, contact the new supplier with the meter readings and they do everything.
    • neilio
    • By neilio 10th Mar 17, 10:50 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:50 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 10:50 PM
    FTB Asks some Stupid Questions...
    Originally posted by Fonque
    There's no such thing as a stupid question
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 11th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Rileybaby
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    Does it have an alarm fitted? If so ask for the code otherwise it's an engineer who will need to reset it!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Mar 17, 8:46 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 4,101 Thanks
    robatwork
    There's no such thing as a stupid question
    Originally posted by neilio
    Is this one?
    • Fonque
    • By Fonque 14th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Fonque
    Thank you muchly all. Very much appreciated!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 46,627 Thanks
    kerri gt
    one other thing to think of - if you're new to the area (or even if you're not) have a takeaway leaflet handy for your first night there - even if you get the oven etc sorted the day you move the last thing you're likely to be wanting to do is cook. And remember which box you pack the corkscrew in too
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,152Posts Today

8,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin