Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • halfpint79
    • By halfpint79 9th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 9Thanks
    halfpint79
    Tattoo issue at work
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    Tattoo issue at work 9th Mar 17 at 9:55 PM
    I am employed by a college who have no problem with staff having visible tattoos. However I work in a satellite site (the college have an external contractor they provide education For). This contractor asked me to cover my arm tattoo which I have always respected.

However we are currently on a 4 week trip overseas where I am living in close proximity to the students. I still respectfully keep the tattoo covered during work hours but in my free time when in and around my house, out for a walk etc I feel I should be able to wear short sleeves (it's very hot Here!). My very inexperienced line manager seems to think I should keep it covered at all times which I find unreasonable. Any ideas where I stand on this one...
Page 2
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 10th Mar 17, 8:56 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    tensandunits
    I suspect it's a case of company image rather than students minding about the tattoo. I mean, we wouldn't have minded if our teacher had a mohican or dyed her hair pink, but I expect the head teacher would have had something to say! People in a position of responsibility are expected to look presentable.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4,492 Posts
    • 9,400 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I would cover it up, not that I agree you should as its your own time. But however inexperienced the manager is, the contractor have decided to employed them. If you don't follow their instructions this manager could report you to his bosses who in turn may report it to your bosses, giving your bosses the hassle of having to investigate and even though they will likely see in your favour (as it is your own time) it may still leave a bad impression on them and damage their relationship with the contractor.

I appreciate it is hot so you don't want to wear long sleeves could you not cover it with a large plaster/bandage leaving the rest of your arm free to get the air. If any of the students ask just reply truthfully "I have a tattoo which my boss has asked me to keep covered whilst on this trip"
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 11th Mar 17, 8:51 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Id say out of work its up to you, unless part of the role includes having dinner with the students / going on trips in the evening etc? What you do out of view and in your own time is your business. There is always a chance we could all bump into colleagues / students out of work and you can't be expected to live to work rules 100% of the time just in case.
    • halfpint79
    • By halfpint79 11th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    halfpint79
    I do have dinner with the students but always cover up for that. I am respectful of the rule at all times I'm in direct student contact. I feel if they see me at other times like when I'm out for a walk, run whatever tgat should not be an issue.
    Im going into a meeting this afternoon with a manager from my main college employer to see what they say...
    • halfpint79
    • By halfpint79 11th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    halfpint79
    Had a more sensible conversation with a more senior manager and he agreed that I shouldn't have to cover it during my time off (unless I am intending to be around students). Let's hope my line manager sucks this up then it's a fair resolution. Thanks for all the advice.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 11th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    TyreLever
    Where you stand? next to him telling him to !!!! off. (not in work where he can sack you tho).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,664Users online

Martin's Twitter