Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 9th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    • 107Posts
    • 45Thanks
    sortofwinning
    Wired/battery doorbells
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:08 PM
    Wired/battery doorbells 9th Mar 17 at 9:08 PM
    This is probably a really daft question, but I want a doorbell that doesn't need batteries replacing. I've been looking on Ebay and every doorbell I look at seems to need batteries. Is there no such thing as a doorbell that doesn't need batteries?

I've been searching for "wired doorbell" but the list that Ebay throws up still seems to have ones that need batteries. Currently we have some sort of plug in thing that hasn't worked in years, presumably because nobody changes the batteries. I don't even really know where it's plugged in.

Is there a particular name I'm supposed to use to find a doorbell that doesn't need batteries? If there is such a thing, I realise I'll need an electrician to fit it but surely this will work out cheaper than having to buy batteries all the time.

If anyone replies to this, I'm off into the relative wilderness from tomorrow til Monday and won't have much internet access so I won't read any replies til Monday - just in case people reply and then they don't see any further posts from me. I will definitely check in here again on Monday.

From a not-at-all-knowledgeable doorbell purchaser, thank you in advance for any help.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 14,405 Posts
    • 35,589 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    Anything here?

http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/doorbells/cat830116#category=cat830516
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 9th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 1,270 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:15 PM
    I agree with you that such things should be mains powered. Have a look at

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Door_Bells_and_Chimes_Index/index.html
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 2,115 Posts
    • 2,308 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    An electrician callout might be £60. That's a LOT of batteries! Given that the chime is mains plugin, the battery is only needed in the button at the door, which doesn't use much power at all.

Still...The less batteries we rely on in life the better. It's getting ridiculous!

Google "240v door bell". You'll get thousands of options.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 9th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 3,654 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:06 PM
    I have a mains powered bell unit (of the type that plugs into a socket in the house)
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/wireless-60m-plug-in-door-chime-with-li-ion-powered-bell-push-white/52480
    and although the push button is battery powered, this still has the original battery that was supplied when I bought and fitted it just over 10 years ago so I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of batteries.

What I like about this type of bell is that I can move it from room to room (or stick it in the garage if I'm working in there) or simply turn if off if not needed.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 10th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 6:45 AM
    Just use a FRIEDLAND DOOR BELL TRANSFORMER to replace the batteries. It can be connected to the lighting circuit or a fused spur.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 12,201 Posts
    • 33,169 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    Personally - I had a battery-powered doorbell in my last house and it never once needed the batteries changing during the many years I lived there (over 20).

I did have to ask the next door neighbour to do something about his electric-powered doorbell - as I could hear its transformer sound coming through my walls. He had to pad it round to stop the noise coming through.

My current house had/has an electric powered doorbell. I wish it didnt. Guess I should have changed it to battery-powered. I've only had the house a few years - but had to change the doorbell transformer when I moved in (ie use an electrician that was here anyway - and have that as an extra job). Since then - I've had to have an electrician change the transformer again.

If I move again - I'll just rip out any electric doorbell and replace it with a battery one.
    Cynics thought for the day = Is it a pointless exercise to save oneself a fiver on something - when the next day someone else wastes hundreds of £s of YOUR money?

Amount of my money wasted by other people in last week = about £1,000
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 10th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    Just use a FRIEDLAND DOOR BELL TRANSFORMER to replace the batteries. It can be connected to the lighting circuit or a fused spur.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    I have a few unwanted brand new 240v mains bell transformers left over from a housing development, my daughter used to list them on Ebay and flogged a few but really wasn't much interest. I use door knockers on all rental property and refurbishment jobs now, you never get called out by tenants with a problem with their knockers!
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 10th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    Get a door locker or brass bell?
    That is no battery or electrician required
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 10th Mar 17, 8:47 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 2,421 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    I replaced our mains powered bell with a battery one about 15 years ago - haven't had to replace the batteries yet !
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Mar 17, 8:53 AM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Currently we have some sort of plug in thing that hasn't worked in years, presumably because nobody changes the batteries. I don't even really know where it's plugged in.
    The hidden plug in thing is a transformer. Older ones are likely to constantly consume power which as batteries in doorbells last for years could possibly be more expensive than using batteries.

Most doorbells seem capable of using either batteries or a transformer which are bought separately which is why you may be struggling to find a mains powered doorbell.

The batteries in mine haven’t been changed for 4+ years (and have 2007 printed on them!)

Is the bell push wired or wireless? If wireless these need batteries. Your doorbell might be fine but needing a battery in the bell push.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 10-03-2017 at 2:11 PM.

• Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Grenage
    I fitted one like this when moving into the new place; no batteries, no mains!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butlers-Bell-Round-Embossed-Pull-BRASS-Classic-Design-/331153539661

Not saying it's for everyone, mind you; probably best only used with high ceilings. Anything that isn't one of those bloody awful wireless jobs will probably be ok.
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 10th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    We've had one of these: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6249102 for the past 4 years and never had a problem with it. Given the £8 ASDA version we had before that only lasted 18 months before it stopped working, new batteries or not, it's very reliable to us, and we can't foresee a need to replace in the near future.
    • ic
    • By ic 10th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 1,261 Thanks
    ic
    I can highly recommend the Friedland Libra doorbell range - sounds good, reliable and the big C type batteries last an age.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 11th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Easy solution, get a clockwork door bell like this Imperial Wind-up Doorbell
    • sortofwinning
    • By sortofwinning 13th Mar 17, 12:14 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    sortofwinning
    Thanks for your replies everyone!! I've got rather a lot of Googling/links to click with the all of the above.

moneyistooshorttomention, that sounds a bit scary but you have just encouraged me to do a good bit of research to make sure I don't end up with problems.

To everyone that suggested a door knocker, we do actually have one but for some reason people don't use it. I don't know if it's because we have a porch which encloses the front door plus knocker, then we have a plaque outside with the house no plus bell ringer attached (the one that hasn't worked for years) and I think that's why people keep trying to ring the bell. But the weird thing is - when we don't come to the door, NOBODY ever seems to figure out that the bell doesn't work. I have no idea why this is, but people call us and say "I rang and rang and nobody answered" and yet our door knocker is prominent once you step inside the porch, and the porch door is always ajar. Weird. If I ring someone's bell twice and get no answer, I will always try the knocker if there is one, but people just don't seem to do this with us and I'm kind of baffled.

Anyway, lots to think about for me - thank you all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

416Posts Today

3,080Users online

Martin's Twitter