Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dnkforums
    • By dnkforums 9th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dnkforums
    Add to mortgage or use savings?
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    Add to mortgage or use savings? 9th Mar 17 at 8:14 PM
    Hi,

Just having a senior moment for what is best to do so hope someone can help.

We are having an extension at the moment which will cost about £14k. We have savings to cover it and it would put a dent in them but we'd still have enough to pay the mortgage balance off (about 35k now) if we had to. We wanted to do up our bathroom / sort some other things out which would bring a total cost of about 20k.

We are considering borrowing this 20k against the property on the existing offset mortgage; the mortgage was originally for 110k against a property value of 160k and the property is now worth about 210k.

However, does this make sense?

If we lend against the property, the APR is 1.1% so I think we pay £1.07 for every £1 borrowed.

I'm the sort that prefers not to borrow but I also would like to take advantage of the very low interest rate we have as well as keeping some money back as it's in ISAs etc (although they are earning very little).

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dnkforums; 09-03-2017 at 8:22 PM.
Page 1
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 9th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4,886 Posts
    • 6,735 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    You'd be borrowing, not lending.

If you can get a higher rate of interest on your savings, I would use the mortgage.
    • dnkforums
    • By dnkforums 9th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dnkforums
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    I get constantly moaned at about the borrow/lend thing

I think our mortgage rate is just over 0.5% at present so we should be able to better that with ISAs.

In which case, your advice makes total sense.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    venison
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:05 PM
    For how long is your mortgage rate 0.5%?
    Keep in mind that at some point soon base rates will increase and savings rates with them.
    • marksmith125
    • By marksmith125 10th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    marksmith125
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    Hi,
    I also agree with this point, it is better to use mortgage if you will get a higher rate of interest on your savings.
    Thanks!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,536Posts Today

7,894Users online

Martin's Twitter