Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • taz852
    • By taz852 9th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    taz852
    help needed (Mould advice)
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:36 PM
    help needed (Mould advice) 9th Mar 17 at 6:36 PM
    Hello i was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice, me and my partner moved into our flat about a year ago and noticed (within the first few months) spots of mould occurring on the bedroom ceiling, we have kept the vents open and heat our flat in the winter albeit the lounge more than the other rooms. so we contacted the landlord when our son started coughing as we thought its becoming an issue now,

so he mentioned they had some remedial work done to the walls and had tray put in (not entirely sure what that meant guessing it was a water problem) so the landlord has contacted the building management and they came round to inspect it. they did a damp test and said it was ok and had told us "it was condensation mould because we hadn't aired the flat out enough and the mould spores aren't an issue, all you can do is spray it and paint over it." now you can understand i was a bit like what really?

i've never had a problem like this in my previous homes so why suddenly now? well im no expert so thats why im posting here hopefully someone could shed some light and give me an idea on where to go from here, because if our son (hes one years old) keeps coughing and having a bad chest we might have to just move

oh and the chap mentioned it was also because of low temperature, and our flat has electric heaters and seems poorly insulated (walls seems thin) so it would cost us an arm and a leg to keep the whole flat heated constantly we have thee heaters running the hallway my sons and the lounge and doors are open except the lounge door.

here are a few photos although the quality is bad, it seemed to me like the spots are coming through the paint sort of like when you drip water onto paper.. and the one of the skirting board is covered although the photo is a bit dark

(wont let me post link so ive had to remove the " http:// " at the start so please add this back in)
    s1024.photobucket.com/user/thedjtaz/media/IMG_20170309_174007031.jpg.html

s1024.photobucket.com/user/thedjtaz/media/IMG_20170309_174000109.jpg.html

s1024.photobucket.com/user/thedjtaz/media/IMG_20170309_173954539.jpg.html

sorry for the essay guys and i appreciate all replies. thank you
Page 1
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 9th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    xyz123
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    Unless there is a leak, mould is caused by lack of ventilation and lack of heating. If u cannot provide more ventilation or add more heating, ask landlord in first instance to prove dehumidifier (large enough to cater for ur place) and it can help reduce humidity. They do cost money to run but not as much as leaving a heater on all the time..
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 23,022 Posts
    • 64,653 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/thedjtaz/media/IMG_20170309_174007031.jpg.html

http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/thedjtaz/media/IMG_20170309_173954539.jpg.html

http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/thedjtaz/media/IMG_20170309_174000109.jpg.html
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 23,022 Posts
    • 64,653 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    Couldn't post the actual images for some reason, but better than nothing.

What is above that bedroom?

You need warm walls and adequate ventilation. Water condenses on cold spots. Cold spots are best avoided with insulation as that is ultimately cheaper and more effective than constantly heating a cold room with no insulation.

This looks like there is no insulation in the loft. Or that there is inadequate ventilation up there and there's a condensation problem spreading down. Or is there another flat up there? Is this the only room affected?

What was picture two? It looks like a great wet tide mark across skirting but the picture quality is so poor.

People often say it's lifestyle, but as you find, you can live perfectly normally in one property with no problem and then suddenly develop one in another. It's ultimately a problem with the balance of the fabric of the building.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 09-03-2017 at 8:10 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • taz852
    • By taz852 11th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    taz852
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    its a flat,seems poorly insulated and we only have electric heaters so it would cost a fortune to keep them on all the time, pic 2 was of the ceiling at the wall thats on the outer wall side of a small block of flats, it probably is the fact that temperature got low, i guess the best thing to do would be to get a dehumidifier, thanks for the replies!
    • taz852
    • By taz852 11th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    taz852
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:44 AM
    oh a quick question though they mentioned to paint over it , is that the best thing to do? or is there a better way to get rid of it?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 4,458 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:47 PM
    I've used Wilko mould treatment on emulsion. Its not what its designed for but it removes most of the marks and prevents regrowth. It stinks of peroxide but the smell doesn't last too long. I spray it on to a sponge rather than directly onto the wall. Wear gloves and definitely safety glasses if doing the ceiling.

http://www.wilko.com/bathroom-cleaning-products/wilko-mould-and-mildew-remover-750ml/invt/0333217

• another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:51 PM
    Howdy!
    Sound advice here as always . I hope you don't mind me asking,but you only moved in just over a year ago. When you got the survey, what type did you go for ?
    I always go for the middle priced one . It was just as well I did, as I was told a lot . The good thing about the right type of survey is, they tell you what you could do to fix the problem .
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 14,373 Posts
    • 35,479 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    I'm guessing you missed the reference to the landlord in the OP?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Mar 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    another casualty
    I'm guessing you missed the reference to the landlord in the OP?
    Originally posted by elsien

Oops ! Yes I did
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

445Posts Today

4,267Users online

Martin's Twitter