Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nile
    • By Nile 9th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 14,223Posts
    • 14,160Thanks
    Nile
    Car insurance quote - don't just renew
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    Car insurance quote - don't just renew 9th Mar 17 at 6:30 PM
    My OH who is not a moneysaver like me, said "I've got a renewal quote for my car insurance. It's only gone up around £20 so I'm just going to renew".

I couldn't resist the challenge, to get a better quote and save us some money. Via the MSE main site Insurance (compare the meerkat) I got a quote which was £115 cheaper!!!

The bonus of 2 for 1 cinema tickets for a year is great too.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
Page 1
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 9th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 3,522 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:14 PM
    Obviously you checked that the level of cover was identical and you were not giving your money to a cheap bucket shop...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 9th Mar 17, 10:12 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 3,013 Thanks
    so very confused
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:12 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:12 PM
    My insurance went up by £300! I checked with them, nothing doing. Went online to the meerkats. Quote for the same policy for £30 a year less than I was paying! Phoned them to check this was the same policy. They were a bit gobsmacked but confirmed it was the same deal.
    One very happy bunny
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 5,404 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    My insurance went up by £300! I checked with them, nothing doing. Went online to the meerkats. Quote for the same policy for £30 a year less than I was paying! Phoned them to check this was the same policy. They were a bit gobsmacked but confirmed it was the same deal.
    One very happy bunny
    Originally posted by so very confused
    My insurers never seem gobsmacked when I do this, they generally just change my renewal quote to match the online quote...

... which saves them having to pay a chunk of commission to the comparison site, which would be payable if I went the new quote.

In the old days they used to lookup the online quote to check, but more recently they seem to just take my word for it.

(If you ask them why the online quote is cheaper than the renewal quote, they just have a standard scripted answer ready - so I usually don't bother.)
    Last edited by eddddy; 10-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 26,015 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 11th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    yash = Delhi spammer.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,507Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin