Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redux
    • By redux 9th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 16,730Posts
    • 20,807Thanks
    redux
    From our local paper
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    From our local paper 9th Mar 17 at 6:28 PM
    Residents of a street in town all received a letter saying there would be works in your road on a certain day, so please don't leave your car there during the working day.

So they parked around the corner somewhere.

What they didn't know was that some neighbouring roads had also received the same message, so everyone just moved a little bit, still blocked the roads, and none of the work got done.

Next time let's hope the message names all of the roads involved, instead of just saying your road.

Does anyone else have whimsical or silly stories from their local news?
Page 1
    • koexelek
    • By koexelek 9th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 7,596 Posts
    • 16,094 Thanks
    koexelek
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    People are always " slamming" each other in my local paper.
    Always makes me think of wrestling
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 9th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    tensandunits
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    Possibly Britain's daftest burgler?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/radcliffe-burglary-head-stuck-window-12548740
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 9th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 10,074 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    We've had a knifeman going berserk and killing his sister, attempting to murder his mother before injuring a police officer and eventually killing himself.

A woman killed after being hit by the rotten lid of a water tank which blew off the roof of a shopping centre during the windy weather we've recently had and the floral tributes left at the spot where she died.

Also front page - local councillors are having a go at a local MP (who also happens to be the Government's Chief Whip) after he criticised the proposed move to fortnightly bin collections.

Priorities, people. Priorities.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,976 Posts
    • 6,139 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    Residents of a street in town all received a letter saying there would be works in your road on a certain day, so please don't leave your car there during the working day.

What they didn't know was that some neighbouring roads had also received the same message, so everyone just moved a little bit, still blocked the roads, and none of the work got done.

Next time let's hope the message names all of the roads involved, instead of just saying your road.

Originally posted by redux
    Love it
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 9th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4,077 Posts
    • 4,860 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    The Luftwaffe just got on with it.....German efficiency.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 7,133 Posts
    • 7,151 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 6,651 Posts
    • 12,182 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:51 PM
    I know this was 10 years ago. Before the pensioners got free bus passes, they paid 30p per journey. One lady was refused travel as she handed the driver a £2 coin. But he allowed someone buying a £2.80 day rider with a fiver!
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 10th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:06 PM
    Originally posted by pogofish

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 10th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 10,836 Posts
    • 14,041 Thanks
    MothballsWallet

Originally posted by redux
    So it's not just Coventry City Council who can be completely retarded then?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 10th Mar 17, 2:00 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    tensandunits
    Originally posted by Rain Shadow
    Oh my God the penny's just dropped
    What a headline.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 10th Mar 17, 5:46 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    Oh my God the penny's just dropped
    What a headline.
    Originally posted by tensandunits
    You're not the only one that missed it at first view, your post made me look again. Now that's what I call progressive education!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin