Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • **Juice**
    • By **Juice** 9th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 479Posts
    • 297Thanks
    **Juice**
    Quote for removal of supporting wall and build of additional wall
    • 9th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    Quote for removal of supporting wall and build of additional wall 9th Mar 17 at 6:27 PM
    We've moved into a house with a weird layout (small kitchen and impractical big U shaped living room), so we want to knock down a supporting wall and build a wall across the U of the current living room to create a long kitchen diner and smaller, squarer living room. We're also getting an existing 1970's archway squared off.

We've been quoted £4,369 inc VAT, labour, materials for this, is this fair? The good news is we might not need the concrete padstones after the structural engineer has said we probably don't.

Quote includes:

ESTIMATE & SCHEDULE OF WORK, TO CREATE STRUCTURAL OPENING , TO PART LOAD BEARING WALL, & CARRY OUT REFURBISHMENT AT ABOVE ADDRESS .
    STRUCTURAL OPENING.
    Electrician & plumber to isolate any services prior to commencement of work.
    Acrow prop & support load bearing wall & ceiling joists.
    Remove existing wall, & build in concrete padstones.
    Install structural steel beam, to Structural Engineer’s specification, build in new joists.
    Electrician & plumber to carry out first fix wiring & pipework installation.
    Provide & fix plasterboard & angle beads to form new ceiling & clad around steel beam opening.

OTHER REFURBISHMENT WORK
    Provide labour & materials to remove existing plasterboard archway.
    Joiner to construct new timber stud wall.
    Overboard new wall, new kitchen space, & existing lounge ceiling.
    Plasterer to skim finish relevant areas.
    Plumber & electrician to complete final fix.
    Clear away all debris & leave site tidy.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 23,745 Posts
    • 66,079 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    Who is looking after building control? It isn't in mentioned the quote. Nor is skirting.

I'd say it's probably fair if those things are included. Lots of people in and out if they're all separately qualified. Which part of the world is this?

If BC isn't included then I wouldn't be that comfortable with the price. Is there definitely plumbing and electric to move?

Make sure that arch definitely isn't structural - I've seen a really dangerous arch on the boards here before that the OP thought wasn't structural - because it was done so shockingly.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • **Juice**
    • By **Juice** 18th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    **Juice**
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    Who is looking after building control? It isn't in mentioned the quote. Nor is skirting.

I'd say it's probably fair if those things are included. Lots of people in and out if they're all separately qualified. Which part of the world is this?

If BC isn't included then I wouldn't be that comfortable with the price. Is there definitely plumbing and electric to move?

Make sure that arch definitely isn't structural - I've seen a really dangerous arch on the boards here before that the OP thought wasn't structural - because it was done so shockingly.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Hmm, I'm handling the building regs and structural engineer stuff - paying seperately for that. Also hadn't thought of skirting so will check on that. It's in Derbyshire and is a builder who did extensive work for a friend (who is really tight ha). There will deffo be plumbing to move and I suspect electric too.

The arch IS structural and has a beam in it, we're more just getting the edges smoothed away so it becomes a plastered beam rather than a 70's style arch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

3,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin