Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • givememoney
    • By givememoney 9th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    • 959Posts
    • 1,214Thanks
    givememoney
    Do you buy plants online?
    • 9th Mar 17, 5:07 PM
    Do you buy plants online? 9th Mar 17 at 5:07 PM
    We've cleared out our garden of old/not needed/or didn't like plants and shrubs. We have some gaps to fill now.

I thought I'd cracked it. Went onto the RHS website which is very good, as it shows plants for the conditions also height soil type etc. but here's the rub. After selecting all which I thought suitable, trying to actually buy them proves impossible.

Can anyone recommend an online shops. Ideally to keep the cost down I would like to buy maybe a selection of shrubs suitable for our garden.
Page 1
    • luvvlyjubbly
    • By luvvlyjubbly 9th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    luvvlyjubbly
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:24 PM
    I buy a lot from here....new plants every week, 10% off for plant pass members £10 a year.....free delivery over £10. Supplied in 9cm pots.....I've had good success from all the plants here. No good fro shrubs though.....although won't be long before Home Bargains start reeling out their 3 litre plants/Shrubs for about £1.99 each if you live near one.....practically filled my garden with them last year.
    https://www.secretgardeningclub.co.uk/
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    • 22,637 Posts
    • 87,526 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:00 AM
    I buy shrubs and trees on-line (hurry up if you want bare root!) from Buckingham Nurseries. Never had any problems. They also have a physical presence in the 'real' world, which is a good sign.

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Avoid offers in the Sunday papers etc and go for nurseries that actually grow their own stuff.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 10th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 2,707 Posts
    • 15,322 Thanks
    Misslayed
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    I've had great success with plants from Jane Lane Nursery, small, independent, very friendly and very reasonable. But I've only bought begonias and pelargoniums for my hanging baskets (I've got 15!) and some bedding.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    I have bought a massive amount of smaller plants from ebay.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 10th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    firebird082
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    I've given Parkers a go this year - everything that's arrived so far has been good condition, reasonably priced, and they have quite a wide selection of stuff: http://www.jparkers.co.uk/
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 10th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 12,624 Posts
    • 9,521 Thanks
    Poppycat
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    I gave up on Parkers too many times plants arrive in poor condition or dont survive long despite tender loving care

• firebird082
    • By firebird082 10th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    firebird082
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    Oh dear! Still, they've been better than Van Meuwen so far...
    • alba7
    • By alba7 10th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    alba7
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 7:46 PM
    I also had a lot of plant failures from J Parkers. I usually use Thompson and Morgan these days. Most plants seem to survive, despite my help!
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 10th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    I've bought from Blom's Bulbs, having been able to choose from the tulips they display at Chelsea. Order with the Chelsea offer and the post the bulbs to you in the Autumn.

For other plants, you can google last year's Chelsea exhibitors to find an A to Z or search by plant list of suppliers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,635Posts Today

5,109Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin