Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 9th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,287Posts
    • 2,601Thanks
    Tygermoth
    (light hearted) How to disguise my sugar…
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:36 AM
    (light hearted) How to disguise my sugar… 9th Mar 17 at 11:36 AM
    This is such a first world problem……

I am on the top floor in a high rise office. It’s a huge floor where we all hot desk so we don’t have drawers only lockers on the ground floor of the building.

The tea, milk and coffee is free and supplied by our employer. However the stores are on the ground floor (we are strongly encouraged only to use the stairs) As such if anything runs out no one bothers to go fill it up. You go to make a tea round and find there is a microscopic amount of milk left so the offending person didn’t feel they ‘used it all’ so shouldn’t have to go get another.

We also have several minglers – someone who puts the coffee spoon in the sugar. I have an intense dislike for coffee. I am not talking about the occasional chunk but a minefield of coffee muck you have to dig through to try and get some uncontaminated sugar.

I then, out of petty rage, brought in my own sugar and glass jar placing it in one of the kitchen cupboards hidden behind some stuff (we don’t have drawers remember) so I could have unsullied sugar in my tea.

This morning I went to go get the tea round in and found the sugar had run out - so someone, rather than get a refill from the store, had taken down my jar used it. They then left it on the side for others to use and to add insult to injury it was full of coffee detritus.

So my question to you guys – how would you disguise your sugar – funny notes or ideas appreciated!
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 09-03-2017 at 1:04 PM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Page 2
    • Valli
    • By Valli 10th Mar 17, 6:34 AM
    • 20,088 Posts
    • 228,201 Thanks
    Valli
    Buy sweeteners
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 10th Mar 17, 7:02 AM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 10,860 Thanks
    GwylimT
    We had this issue at a work place, my decaf tea bags ended up being taken when people were too lazy to go to the stock room around ten yards away. I started putting them in a small lockable cash box along with uht milk pots from B&M bargains. This was after asking staff several times not to take other peoples food/drink supplies.
    • rebeccauk
    • By rebeccauk 10th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    rebeccauk
    My Uni housemate used to label his milk as 'Contains Medication' we never really knew if it did or if it was a clever way to stop others using his milk - probably the latter.
    I think labelling as salt is a great idea
    Otherwise just take in a very small amount in a tupperware type container and wrap it in lots and lots of carrier bags so its well hidden.
    • Counter
    • By Counter 10th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Counter
    My Uni housemate used to label his milk as 'Contains Medication' we never really knew if it did or if it was a clever way to stop others using his milk - probably the latter.
    I think labelling as salt is a great idea
    Otherwise just take in a very small amount in a tupperware type container and wrap it in lots and lots of carrier bags so its well hidden.
    Originally posted by rebeccauk
    When I was at university we had a milk thief (I think most places where you share facilities do) so someone I knew put a label on his bottle saying "Dear Milk Thief, I have spat in my milk. Regards xxxx." I don't know if he had or not but as a joke (I wasn't the thief!) I added to the note, "Dear xxxx, I too have spat in your milk. Regards Milk Thief." Thankfully he realised this was a joke and didn't throw the milk away!
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 10th Mar 17, 12:41 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    leslieknope
    someone at work has been taking peoples lunches and snacks from the fridge which has annoyed me to no end. so i printed directions to the nearest shop and taped it to the fridge. nothing else has been taken yet.

what did shock me is the milk thief (who had been taking milk from other teams, including opening brand new bottles!!) was actually discovered to be a manager who is on double what the rest of us earn. wonder if she was also the food thief...
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 10th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 8,141 Posts
    • 27,209 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Hide it inside a toilet cistern or an air vent.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 11th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    I would love to take up a flask, but as we are not allowed anything on the floor it would have to stay in the kitchen anyway so i might as well make myself a nice hot brew.

In the morning i grab 2 large bags of sugar, one catering size tea bags and two big milks and lumber up a gazillion flights of stairs. When it come to break time the milk has been left empty in the fridge (who does that!??!!) and the sugar has been befouled

I like the glass shaker - as its sealed they are less likely to put a teaspoon in as they will be too lazy to wrestle the top off.. I have ordered one! i will also mark it up as salt lol
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 11th Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7,531 Posts
    • 26,335 Thanks
    Nicki
    If you aren't supposed to have personal items on your floor, then you shouldn't leave a container of sugar labelled salt in a communal area. Everyone will assume that this is salt provided by the company and you will justifiably get complaints if people ruin their lunch using it. I honestly don't get why this has to be a drama - label it with your name if you want people to know it's not communal and tape the lid closed so it can only easily be used using the pouring spout.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Mar 17, 11:42 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 4,288 Thanks
    robatwork
    Hide it inside a toilet cistern or an air vent.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    All a bit Dexter!

I used to be a 2 sugar man. I couldn't imagine not having sugar.

And now, like a reformed smoker, I couldn't take a sip of tea with sugar.

It's actually not that hard to get used to tea without sugar, or coffee without milk, which I also had to do recently.

This hasn't addressed your question at all, but the golden envelope answer is of course to keep sachets and those cheap wooden/plastic stirrers in your drawer(s).
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 11th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Hi Nikki, as per the first post - we are allowed to leave foodstuff items in the kitchen. As such if its not in the coffee/tea/sugar pots - it belongs to someone, named or otherwise.

Also the post is noted 'lighthearted' so its not a big deal.....
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 11th Mar 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 1,779 Thanks
    shortcrust
    'Salt' is the winner so far...

Tea is my one vice - I don't drink or smoke, but I do love a cuppa with a spoon of sugar. Two cups a day isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things

I cant take a bag up to the floor, everything except foodstuffs have to be kept in your lockers.

I like the idea of blue sugar - but wouldn't that make the sugar clump and turn your tea a weird colour, giving the game away?

Saying that, lumps would be a good idea as no spoon needed so a coffee covered spoon wouldn't be used. Then again I have seen a fair few of my co-workers leave the loos without washing their hands....
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    Me too! I've tried to wean myself off a few times but always end up realising I'm trying to give up one of my favourite simple pleasures.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

628Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin