Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chirpychick
    • By chirpychick 9th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 891Posts
    • 8,054Thanks
    chirpychick
    Post IVA Bank Account Application?
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    Post IVA Bank Account Application? 9th Mar 17 at 10:46 AM
    Our IVA ended December and we have both now received our completion certificates.
    When we went into the IVA we went with the Co-op, we have HATED being with the co-op for the past 6.5 years and always said, as soon as we could, we would change bank accounts.

My husband wants to go with First Direct.

I on the other hand just want to make sure we don't get rejected and then end up with multiple credit searches, just in order to change bank accounts.

Is there any website or way to check to see what bank will allow us a bank account and also is it possible to go with a bank we had as a creditor or is that still a bit risky? The last thing I want is for all our money to be paid into the account to be sucked away and leave us in a dire situation (as was threatened when we entered into the IVA so maybe i am fearful for no reason now).

Just after a little advice really as we start to get back on our feet.
    IVA entered Dec 2010. It's been a long hard road but we FINALLY made it! IVA COMPLETE Dec 2016!!!!
Page 1
    • UpToMyNeckInIt
    • By UpToMyNeckInIt 11th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    UpToMyNeckInIt
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    • 11th Mar 17, 11:31 PM
    Congratulations on completing your IVA.

Avoid First Direct like the plague: HSBC are notoriously hostile towards IVA/ex-IVA customers.

Great shame, because it is a good account.

I took out a first Direct Account when I knew that I was about to go into the IVA, and when FD found out, (about 3 Months into my IVA) they closed my account, leaving me with the difficultly of securing alternative banking whilst in the IVA.

Anecdotal evidence from posts on the various forums over the last 4 Years seems to suggest that I am not alone.
    • memberme
    • By memberme 16th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    memberme
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    Well done congrats

I was/am with the COOP the whole time of the IVA with a normal premier plus card account. I Joined just before I submitted IVA forms and no issue for the whole term of the IVA with normal VISA debit fascilities. (My IP said he didn't mind which account I had as long as I didn't use any OD offered). I found them really helpful, good customer services, dealt with wrong direct debit payments very quickly on a couple of occasions.

I stayed with them after IVA. Customer service is worth far more than thrupence cashback on some accounts, or a one off £100 payment as a tempter to swap.

Also long term finance links are good for credit reports.

each to their own I guess
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

6,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin