Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 8th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,807Posts
    • 55,586Thanks
    poohbear59
    No more borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    No more borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. 8th Mar 17 at 9:32 PM
    My husband and I today decided that we are going to tackle a new debt head on. Earlier this year we had an unexpected expense which we had to pay with a credit builder credit card. We have had the card for over a year and the interest rate has reduced. The interest rate is 34.9%. And our debt is £4650. More than we both realised.

After paying off a huge amount of debt in the last five years I feel ashamed to have accrued this new debt so quickly. But that makes me all the more determined to pay it off as soon as possible.

I made a mistake in accepting a deal with Wowcher to sell our holiday cottage over the winter. It has been a nightmare and has left us about £3000 out of pocket. Because of this I used personal credit to pay business debt. It has been a steep learning curve. And a mistake I won't be making again.

So the plan is to sell unwanted and unused items from around the house first, or at least to get them listed online. Next is to find free things to do. Cut fuel costs, both in the house and the car.

I am going to go through all of our direct debits and weed out those insurance payments etc. that we really don't need. Today I found one for Cumbria wildlife. Sorry but that one is going.

Tomorrow is a new day.
    Grocery challenge £75/£250 business mortgage £13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £20914, 69% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received £11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £0/5000
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
Page 7
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 4th Jun 17, 9:50 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Beanie I went in to get cashback. But forgot when I saw the bargains.

I spent £15 in coop last night. Not part of the plan....

Almost down to our last £5 until next payday on 9th.

My PIP assessment is tomorrow. So we need diesel in the car. I am pretty sure we have enough..It is 70 mile round trip. No where to park nearby the assessment centre. Just to make things more difficult...

The CBT guy says I have to sew. Any ideas? I have lots of fabric and threads now.
    When my new fabric arrives I will make a top for me which is much needed. I am still wearing things from before I lost weight.

ETA We just received a new booking for the cottage in June. It is for a midweek break so it means a bit of extra money coming in to pay the cottage bills. Only one week left in June, July and September are full. August isn't yet as cottages4you are asking silly prices, £780! They will reduce them nearer the time and people will think they have a bargain. It annoys me.
    Last edited by poohbear59; 04-06-2017 at 9:58 AM.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 4th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 27,897 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Best of luck tomorrow Pooh!
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    Positive positive vibes your way Pooh.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 5th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I was in assessment for 1hr 40 mins. All over now so I will forget about it until I have my assessment..
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 5th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 12,831 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    I was in assessment for 1hr 40 mins. All over now so I will forget about it until I have my assessment..
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    Fingers and toes crossed for you.x.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Save for summer £500/£500
    EXTRA DEBT PAYMENT AUGUST -MBNA£1000/£373
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 5th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 27,897 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    Hopefully you will a) hear quickly and b) get the help you need!
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 5th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 773 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Just as a matter of interest where is your cottage. We've been going to Northumberland for many year's (low season admittedly) but a couple of years ago we couldn't get our normal place but found the one next door for £100.00 a week less mainly because the fees the the letting company were charging were so different (£35.00 a week as opposed to £70.00 a week). When people are going for a fortnight or three weeks like we do makes a fair difference. However, August is always expensive but a bargain if you work out how much it costs to stay in a hotel and you have so much more freedom. I wouldn't do it any other way, Hope you get your bookings.
    NSD 9/15 Weightloss 1.3/7 Aug womble £53.02 2017 Wombling total £1191.64
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 6th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Fingers and toes crossed for you.x.
    Originally posted by pennywisepoundstupid
    Thank you. It is our of my hands now and up to decision makers.

Hopefully you will a) hear quickly and b) get the help you need!
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    I feel that I had a better chance to give information this time. Though having short term memory problems meant I did forget some things.

Just as a matter of interest where is your cottage. We've been going to Northumberland for many year's (low season admittedly) but a couple of years ago we couldn't get our normal place but found the one next door for £100.00 a week less mainly because the fees the the letting company were charging were so different (£35.00 a week as opposed to £70.00 a week). When people are going for a fortnight or three weeks like we do makes a fair difference. However, August is always expensive but a bargain if you work out how much it costs to stay in a hotel and you have so much more freedom. I wouldn't do it any other way, Hope you get your bookings.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    Our cottage is in North Pennines, Cumbria. But bordering Northumberland and Co Durham. Our letting company charge a huge 22% plus vat. But they get us seen by hundreds of thousands. I wish I had the ability to do it ourselves but I don't think anyone in this household could manage it. I have asked other companies for a quote of their charges and they are all the same.

ETA I just realised you might mean the booking fee for customers. Cottages.com usually charge £39 and holiday lettings/TripAdvisor have now put theirs right up to a ridiculous amount.
    Last edited by poohbear59; 06-06-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    Grocery challenge £75/£250 business mortgage £13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £20914, 69% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received £11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £0/5000
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 6th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 6,661 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Yes. That was what I meant. I couldn't believe the difference in customer booking fees charged by some companies. I would imagine it would be difficult to manage it all yourself. Your cottage is in a beautiful part of the country. I'm sure your bookings will come in for the summer.
    NSD 9/15 Weightloss 1.3/7 Aug womble £53.02 2017 Wombling total £1191.64
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 7th Jun 17, 6:23 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    We used to get a lot of bookings through trip advisor/holiday lettings but since the change in charges we now get maybe one a year. I used to like TA as we just paid 2% fee. Things change rapidly in self catering lettings websites and customers really need to be aware of extra costs being added at checkout.

We have had some enquiries for August but if we let privately we have to pay a large fee upfront to cottages.com and we can't afford to do it. We have referred them to cottages.com and hope they make the booking.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 7th Jun 17, 6:49 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Finances not going well. Mr P put £20 diesel in the car plus bought some milk and it put us over our overdraft limit. I didn't realise he had done it, and as a result a dd bounced

The dd was for our boiler cover. I will phone them later and find out what we do now.....
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 7th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 21,377 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Has it only bounced this morning?

A lot of banks now let you pay in money up to 3pm on the day and then they try the DD again after this. This was something they were told to do to stop people being charged etc

So if you have some money in an account could you move it across?
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for July
    NSD - 12/16
    (up to 23/08/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 7th Jun 17, 7:47 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Has it only bounced this morning?

A lot of banks now let you pay in money up to 3pm on the day and then they try the DD again after this. This was something they were told to do to stop people being charged etc

So if you have some money in an account could you move it across?
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    It happened yesterday but I didn't know until this morning. I have moved some money over. But it is too late.I will phone later to ask what happens next..
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 7th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Today I have claimed back my payment for the chiropractor. I will get £24 paid into our current account. We have been paying £19 per month for car service. I cancelled the dd and will receive a repayment of £93.

Our electricity is 100% green with Ovo but our fixed rate is due to change. I have used the search for cheaper rates and have found some which will save £6 a month. I will check elsewhere too. I am trying to pare down our outgoings to the bone.

Last week I bid on some clothes on3bay and today received 4 summer dresses for 3.70 plus postage. Most of my clothes are huge on me so now I can sell them and gain a bit more cash. I might have caused the weather to change now I have summer clothes which fit me
    Last edited by poohbear59; 07-06-2017 at 1:31 PM.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 8,083 Posts
    • 44,590 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    It was me who caused the weather change - new garden furniture Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in August- 1/5
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 8th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    The two of us together must have caused the heavy rains and severe winds plmbl

DS2 has given us money to pay for his keep I have ordered some wood pellets. I think I might have to put the heating on....
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 10th Jun 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Today is another NSD for me but Mr P is out without me so likely spending quite a lot. I don't think me staying in when Mr P goes out is such a good idea.......

I have spent most of today in bed as lacking energy and also feeling a lot less pain in bed. But it is giving me time to think and to plan.....

Our cottage electricity cheap deal has ended and I have found a company which saves us £232 a year but will check their customer service record and renewable energy. The house electricity deal ends in August but it may save us money to change now.

New menu plan

Monday
    Indonesian liver with rice
    Tuesday
    Lasagne, salad and chips for men
    Wednesday
    Keema
    Thursday
    Chicken fajitas
    Friday
    Tuna supreme
    Saturday
    Omelette salad and wedges
    Sunday
    Beef stew
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    Menu looking good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 12th Jun 17, 5:14 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    We now have nine new hens and three old hens so are getting lots of eggs. We give the spare eggs away and sometimes people give us a donation for the red squirrels or for the local hospice. Doing our bit

DGD' s birthday party was yesterday so we made 24 chocolate buns and delivered them to the party in local church hall. We had offered to stay but as there were more adults than children we decided to come home. Mr P went out and I rested.

I still haven't done any sewing......despite the fabric having arrived for my new top. Sleep is still very erratic too.

£50 Spends on hens yesterday and Mr P spent at the pub.

TT to savings account was £.3.37 yesterday
    Last edited by poohbear59; 12-06-2017 at 5:18 AM.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 18th Jun 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 55,586 Thanks
    poohbear59
    We received £90.31 refund from Vauxhall from the service fund we were paying into. I think I decided to stop paying £19 per month and was going to use it for new brakes. The brakes can wait another week. I have paid the £90 off the cc.
    We will receive RHI mid July and I have already allocated it all. Mostly jobs that need doing but also to pay more off the cc. I want more than anything to pay less interest as it just feels like thrown away cash.

Mr P's birthday was a slightly frugal day. Levis from 3bay for £19.99, four paperback books from charity shop £2, and dinner was steak from freezer, and chips and onion rings and ice cream from the coop £5 meal deal.Plus tonic water a d lemon from 4ldi to pretend we had g and t
    Last edited by poohbear59; 19-06-2017 at 8:40 AM. Reason: Typos
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,318Posts Today

11,046Users online

Martin's Twitter