Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 8th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,701Posts
    • 54,673Thanks
    poohbear59
    No more borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    No more borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. 8th Mar 17 at 9:32 PM
    My husband and I today decided that we are going to tackle a new debt head on. Earlier this year we had an unexpected expense which we had to pay with a credit builder credit card. We have had the card for over a year and the interest rate has reduced. The interest rate is 34.9%. And our debt is £4650. More than we both realised.

After paying off a huge amount of debt in the last five years I feel ashamed to have accrued this new debt so quickly. But that makes me all the more determined to pay it off as soon as possible.

I made a mistake in accepting a deal with Wowcher to sell our holiday cottage over the winter. It has been a nightmare and has left us about £3000 out of pocket. Because of this I used personal credit to pay business debt. It has been a steep learning curve. And a mistake I won't be making again.

So the plan is to sell unwanted and unused items from around the house first, or at least to get them listed online. Next is to find free things to do. Cut fuel costs, both in the house and the car.

I am going to go through all of our direct debits and weed out those insurance payments etc. that we really don't need. Today I found one for Cumbria wildlife. Sorry but that one is going.

Tomorrow is a new day.
    Grocery challenge £156/£250 business mortgage £14737 Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £21808 66% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received £11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £121.08/5000
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression'.
Page 3
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Mar 17, 9:10 PM
    • 45,913 Posts
    • 161,441 Thanks
    beanielou
    Cheering you on as always.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 1st Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Thank you shoestring I will give it a try.

Things never run smoothly in the pooh household.

Our wood pellet boiler broke down two days ago... A new pump is £232. We are covered for labour and call out. We get RHI on 12th but I had allocated it to pay for the brakes as I now have the invoice, some firewood and some pellets, plus pay off more of the credit card.

I will now have to be extremely careful with any spends. Mr P has been told, nicely, that there is no spare 'fun' money.

Today we are looking after the grandchildren, watching Aristacats video. Yes video not DVD, as we saved all the Disney videos from when our kids were little.

I have done some investigations into porch repairs and I am watching for a small window on eBay to replace worst damaged part. Then just need some timber for the other rotten part. Mr P will repair it with my supervision 😊.That will keep the front porch safe and serviceable. The back porch is a whole different ball game and needs lots more thought....and money....
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 1st Apr 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Menu plan
    Sunday Beef stew and dumplings
    Monday Tacos
    Tuesday creamy tuna pasta bake full of vegetables
    Wednesday shepherds pie with carrots and peas
    Thursday Sweet and sour pork
    Friday Fish pie and mushy peas
    Saturday spag bol
    Sunday chicken curry
    We have ingredients for all these meals in freezer or larder so won't need anything to be bought except milk. I will make some bread, slice it and freeze it. Lunches can be eggs, means, toast or soup as we have a good stock of all of these.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 2nd Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    The last four days have been NSDs. DD bought us some milk and cooking oil yesterday as we watched the grandchildren. And a pot plant too. We didn't want anything but it was a nice surprise.

Today we have a piece of brisket in the slow cooker so we can feed everyone later. We are having DD and children back here for dinner later.today. it is the community big breakfast today. Mr P are just having our own BB at home and £11 saved.

It is a lovely sunny day so having the grandchildren here playing in the garden is all the treat we need.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 10th Apr 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    On a shoestring. I found I had one book in March using the Kindle when I thought I had found a free book to read so it has been used, once. But I will give it a try.

We have had an extremely frugal week with no spending whatsoever. I even had nothing for the collection at church. I should get a phone call today from Swinton to discuss house and cottage insurance as we are still trying to reduce our outgoings.

I am thinking of cancelling insurance on the pickup as it is sorned and has no MOT. If it was stolen it doesn't have any real value...and would save almost £40 a month.....

After lots of research I have found one window frame online for £64 which would replace worst part of the porch, but it will need some glass too. Just gently persuading Mr P that it is worth spending the money to prevent worse damage....If only I could drive to town I could see how much local joinery company will charge for same.

I can't find my previous post so please excuse me if i already said this....The wood pellet boiler wasn't heating radiators when we had the cold snap a couple of weeks ago. As a result of some trial and error it was established the pump wasn't working so engineer came out and replaced it at a cost of £232. That is just the pump. We have call outs already covered. They haven't sent the invoice yet.....luckily.

Yesterday we had all the family here for dinner. We had roast beef from our freezer, vegetables provided by me and DD. Pineapple upside down pudding and custard. Oh and home made Yorkshire puddings, of course. DGD made the pineapple upside down pudfing with me. We even found some cherries fir it in an Aldi frozen forest fruits box. A frugal and lovely family meal.

DD also brought jelly which hadn't set so she is coming later today with the grandchildren for some more pudding.

We may have our friends son here later so I am going to make a Bolognese sauce and pasta for later. We didn't have it on Saturday as planned, We had stir fried vegetables and chicken which needed using up and
    Last edited by poohbear59; 10-04-2017 at 11:45 AM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 45,913 Posts
    • 161,441 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would cancel the insurance on the pick up if I was you.
    No need to chuck money away

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 15th Apr 17, 9:36 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    We received our renewal costs for both cars. Mine was over £700 and the pick up almost £800.

We have decided not to renew the pickup insurance and I have started researching costs for my car. So far I have it down to around £450. Just shows how much automatically renewing is making for the industry.

I would like to get the pickup MOT done before insurance runs out, if only to see if putting it back on the road is possible for next winter. If not then it can be sold asap.

We did a huge 4ldi shop so hopefully can eat without using the coop as often as we have done. It cost £110ish. I feel as though we have built up enough stock now to avoid having to pop out to shops 4 miles away if we need something.

Mr P had three days off from the pub last week. I think he struggled as he doesn't have hobbies. He only goes for a short while and needs to get out of the house.

I paid another £100 off the cc this week and will pay off more over the weekend.

We also found a little lawnmower for £30 to cut cottage grass. Going to collect it after cottage changeover. Really hoping it is left in good state so it can be finished early today, cottage not lawnmower . Then we can spend some time with the family.
    Last edited by poohbear59; 15-04-2017 at 9:39 AM.
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 15th Apr 17, 9:41 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I would cancel the insurance on the pick up if I was you.
    No need to chuck money away
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanie
    I wrote you a reply twice but internet must have cut out so they didn't send. I had BT here on Thursday and this time a rodent had chewed through the phone cable.
    Grocery challenge £156/£250 business mortgage £14737 Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £21808 66% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received £11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £121.08/5000
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 19th Apr 17, 8:29 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Yesterday I spent hours researching and sorting out car insurance.
    Mr P's truck insurance is set so that it doesn't automatically renew.

My car insurance took the best part of the day to sort out. It transpired that our current insurers who were asking £864 to reinsure, had a claim listed as a stolen car It was back in 2015 when I had a notability car and Mr P put petrol in instead of diesel. Because it wasn't our car we had to go through motability and it was classed as an insurance claim as an 'at faut' accident. Never a stolen vehicle. Our current insurers said the got the info from our previous insurers so I phoned both of them. They didn't do it, they say.

In the end I insured with a previous insurer for £530 including breakdown and legal cover. I must cancel breakdown today as I usually use CSMA. My monthly insurance payments are roughly the same as now but over 10 months which saves on interest. I have letters coming from previous insurers to say we have not claimed for a theft of a car.

I spent £23 yesterday on flower club membership. Money well spent on 10 meetings.

Yesterday I also spent on a level two dental treatment, £56, I think but will claim it back from Simply health today.

My PIP review form has to be returned by the end of the week so I will concentrate on it today. It is a particularly stressful thing to try to work through as so many people know but I have help from DD and the Benefits and work website.

We sowed lots of vegetable seeds a few weeks ago. Some were very old seeds but we have broccoli, leeks,basil, lettuce and mange tout which have germinated . Lots haven't but as some seeds were over 10years old we are very pleasantly surprised.

DD has asked if I would like to go out with her and the grandchildren to a local park and tarn. It sounds like a lovely thing to do but I will see how I get on with my application. I have been awake since 4am again today. My sleeping pattern is 5 days sleep from midnight or 1am to 4 am. Two nights I sleep ten hours
    • hex2
    • By hex2 19th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 79,024 Thanks
    hex2
    Hi Pooh, just dropping in to say good luck with it.

Hard to know what to do about the fruit, even buying it frozen isn't cheap. Dried isn't SW friendly either is it?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    • 7,872 Posts
    • 43,162 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope all went ok with the PIP form. Horrible things Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in April - 4/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £252.40/£1000
    Lbs lost - 11.5
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 17, 8:45 PM
    • 45,913 Posts
    • 161,441 Thanks
    beanielou
    PIP~Dire.
    Hope all goes well.

• Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 20th Apr 17, 10:09 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 5,499 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    PIP - Thinking of you, hoping you find the right words
    Mrs B Debt £1876 @ 5/01/2017
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 20th Apr 17, 5:51 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Hello Pooh - lovely to see you and your inspiring posts again !

I didn't know that a Kindle sub existed. I get a daily email from Bookbub.com with suggestions based on my tastes, and and I only choose the free ones (or classic books out of copyright which are also free.).
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 21st Apr 17, 9:16 AM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Hex2 I wish I could grow more fruit and freeze it but since we made the holiday cottage we have lost all my fruit bushes. This year we are going to split a few blackcurrant bushes and replant so hopefully will have more next year. We are extending our vegetable garden too.

Hi Elizabeth hull. I am glad you found me. I have an email from bookbub every day but had no idea what it is so have been meaning to have a look some time. Now I know I will definitely have a look, thank you.

PIP form writing didn't go well. I couldn't sleep for a few nights and as a result couldn't think so left the last of it for today. It HAS to be posted today. So I have to finish it. On to the last few questions so will get it done.

Has anyone else reported the spam above?

Today's plan is PIP first and pot on vegetable seedlings second.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 21st Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 5,499 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers for PIP competition, and in the post.
    Hope you are sending it recorded delivery, as I have heard they can loose them ( and make a copy) Belt and braces....
    Mrs B Debt £1876 @ 5/01/2017
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 21st Apr 17, 5:14 PM
    • 7,872 Posts
    • 43,162 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope PIP form got away today.

Spam reported Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in April - 4/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £252.40/£1000
    Lbs lost - 11.5
    • hex2
    • By hex2 21st Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 79,024 Thanks
    hex2
    I find here that the birds take most of the edible garden fruit sadly.

I can't remember if tinned in juice is synned? I know dried fruit is, although I still buy the lidl dried mango as has no added sugar and takes me forever to chew so I don't eat much of it.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 17, 8:21 PM
    • 45,913 Posts
    • 161,441 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you got the bleeping thing away.

• poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 21st Apr 17, 8:46 PM
    • 4,701 Posts
    • 54,673 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Hope you got the bleeping thing away.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    PIP forms have been posted this afternoon😊. We had to travel 10 miles to P.O. which has a later pickup time than our local PO. But it was completed, copied and posted first class. Phew.

Not much else done today. I am shattered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,652Posts Today

8,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin