Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 8th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,820Posts
    • 55,728Thanks
    poohbear59
    No more borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    No more borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. 8th Mar 17 at 9:32 PM
    My husband and I today decided that we are going to tackle a new debt head on. Earlier this year we had an unexpected expense which we had to pay with a credit builder credit card. We have had the card for over a year and the interest rate has reduced. The interest rate is 34.9%. And our debt is £4650. More than we both realised.

After paying off a huge amount of debt in the last five years I feel ashamed to have accrued this new debt so quickly. But that makes me all the more determined to pay it off as soon as possible.

I made a mistake in accepting a deal with Wowcher to sell our holiday cottage over the winter. It has been a nightmare and has left us about £3000 out of pocket. Because of this I used personal credit to pay business debt. It has been a steep learning curve. And a mistake I won't be making again.

So the plan is to sell unwanted and unused items from around the house first, or at least to get them listed online. Next is to find free things to do. Cut fuel costs, both in the house and the car.

I am going to go through all of our direct debits and weed out those insurance payments etc. that we really don't need. Today I found one for Cumbria wildlife. Sorry but that one is going.

Tomorrow is a new day.
    Grocery challenge £75/£250 business mortgage £13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £7116=Total of £20914, 69% paid off was £68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received £11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. £0/5000
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
Page 13
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 27th Aug 17, 12:55 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,728 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Thats really good to know.Thanks.
    I just cannot concenplate going anywhere these days without some assistance. Hey ho.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Me too beanie x

Hi Poohbear

Hope you don't mind me just jumping into your thread but I've been having a read of your lovely diary. Possibly a strange question but are you the Poohbear from flylady several years ago? If not feel free to ignore but hello anyway
    Originally posted by Mudbath
    Yes I am. I remember you.

I want back to flylady about 3 weeks ago to get help in getting my house in some semblance of order.
    • Mudbath
    • By Mudbath 27th Aug 17, 1:33 PM
    • 5,397 Posts
    • 112,626 Thanks
    Mudbath
    Me too beanie x

Yes I am. I remember you.

I want back to flylady about 3 weeks ago to get help in getting my house in some semblance of order.
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    Awww hello! I went back to flylady this week. Managed 3 days so aiming for 4 this week. Hope you're keeping well xxx
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 27th Aug 17, 2:39 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,728 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Mudbath you have done better than me this last week but I have the excuse I have had visitors. I had to clear a bedroom of lots of things belonging to two sons who now live in USA and also things that came from my dads and aunts houses. In the end the easiest thing was to clear them out. They went to local church which needs money for a roof repair. I went to the church sale yesterday and did spend £2.50 on books for Mr P, but as must of the bricbrac came from here I wasn't tempted to buy.

beanielou I have sent you a PM
    Last edited by poohbear59; 27-08-2017 at 4:51 PM. Reason: typo
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 31st Aug 17, 2:18 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,728 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I had a wonderful two weeks with family but the have now gone home to the States. I

I have had terrible tooth pain and had the beginnings of root canal surgery yesterday, so not very good at posting the last few days. Now just £20.40 spent on it so not too bad.

I have two items of good news. DS2 had his ESA reinstated at tribunal on Tuesday (huge relief) and we also bought a beautiful 17 month old labrador. She is gorgeous and just what our family needed. She was being rehomed because the family are moving home and couldn't take her with them.

She was £200 but worth every penny. Mr P can now stop wandering aimlessly around outside. DS2 has company if he needs it. And I have an extremely loyal follower.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 31st Aug 17, 2:37 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,298 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Good news on DS's ESA (and woot on the Lab pupster!)

STILL not heard about my PIP reconsideration
    V3ry - £555.59
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 31st Aug 17, 6:33 PM
    • 8,400 Posts
    • 47,236 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Awesome news on ESA and new doggie Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in December 1/5
    Lbs lost 10/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Aug 17, 9:28 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,975 Thanks
    beanielou
    Fantastic news on DS's ESA.
    Ooh happy new dog xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Sep 17, 6:42 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,501 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Happy new dog Pooh, so pleased for you
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 2nd Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,728 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Knitwitch they are taking ages with your reconsideration. Can you phone to ask at this stage? From DS2's assessment appointment to tribunal took 8 months. But that is ESA

My friend was turned down for PIP after the change from DLA. Went to tribunal and still didnt get it so she was advised to reapply. Having no faith in the system and no longer being able to get to work she put her house on the market. It sold quickly and just as she is about to move out received a letter saying she has been awarded PIP. It is too late now as she has no home here and no job. She is moving somewhere warmer.

It seems to depend who you get on a particular day. And is the most ludicrous system ever. I hope you hear soon knitwitch as the waiting is horrible.

The pup is gorgeous and really well behaved and settled too.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 3rd Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 29,298 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Knitwitch they are taking ages with your reconsideration. Can you phone to ask at this stage? From DS2's assessment appointment to tribunal took 8 months. But that is ESA

My friend was turned down for PIP after the change from DLA. Went to tribunal and still didnt get it so she was advised to reapply. Having no faith in the system and no longer being able to get to work she put her house on the market. It sold quickly and just as she is about to move out received a letter saying she has been awarded PIP. It is too late now as she has no home here and no job. She is moving somewhere warmer.

It seems to depend who you get on a particular day. And is the most ludicrous system ever. I hope you hear soon knitwitch as the waiting is horrible.

The pup is gorgeous and really well behaved and settled too.
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    I have phoned twice (major panic attacks both times ) and when I phoned last time the chap said 5 months was too long!

If there is nothing this week we will try contacting our MP
    V3ry - £555.59
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,975 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have phoned twice (major panic attacks both times ) and when I phoned last time the chap said 5 months was too long!

If there is nothing this week we will try contacting our MP
    Originally posted by Knit Witch
    I would really suggest you do this.
    It is usually very very helpful.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 10,659 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I've enjoyed reading through your diary and all your ups and downs.

My DS2 has PIP for mental health issues and DS1 has ESA (for now) because of depression. I know how hard it is and how ludicrous the system is. I'm fully expecting DS1 to lose ESA (again) after his health assessment which is due soon .

You are doing well on the frugal living front and have a lovely family .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Oct 17, 9:14 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,975 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are very quiet.
    I hope all is well.
    Let us know how you are doing.

• elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 30th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    Not that you have an obligation to post - but................

Maybe internet gone off the grid, or you're just too busy.
    Really hope you are well. Sending best wishes, regardless. xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,409Posts Today

8,030Users online

Martin's Twitter