Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pet50
    • By Pet50 8th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Pet50
    How can my bank pay a DD without my permission?
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    How can my bank pay a DD without my permission? 8th Mar 17 at 1:56 PM
    Just had our bank statement arrive and noticed that £12 has been taken out by SAT TV by DD. We have not authorised this. We don't have Sky either, haven't for over 10 years now. Went to the bank and because the DD was on 1st March and its now 8th March they say they can't do anything. Our bank only opens twice a week and today was the earliest we could go! They gave us an address to contact INTERBACS RE SAT TV, in Manchester to try and get our money back. I googled it and got a phone number. They said they are merely a company who collects the money and can't do anything. They gave us another number to ring for SAT TV. We rang and had to leave a message - not holding my breathe that we will receive a call back! What do you think? The bank assure us that it will not happen again. This has disturbed both my husband (who is in his 70's) and myself. Do you think we can claim anything for the stress and worry this has caused us as we are now worried what else can be paid out from a bank without our permission!!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 12,691 Posts
    • 12,939 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    Sounds like an error in the account number.

How much compensation do you feel would take the stress away?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 8th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 13,899 Posts
    • 74,463 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    Which bank do you use? You are entitled to a refund under the direct debit guarantee. See

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

"If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society"

You said: "because the DD was on 1st March and its now 8th March they say they can't do anything." That's appalling. Your bank staff have misled you about your position and caused you quite unnecessary anxiety. I suggest that you make a complaint to head office.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 8th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 13,899 Posts
    • 74,463 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:13 PM
    " we are now worried what else can be paid out from a bank without our permission!!"

The answer to that is anything at all. Everything in the account, and more. However, you should be able to get any mistakes reversed through the guarantee.

" Do you think we can claim anything for the stress and worry this has caused us " - Not very much, given that it's only £12. However, the bank's failure to rectify it is more worrying.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 31,523 Posts
    • 37,223 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    cross posted here as well

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72220863#post72220863
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 8th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 88,806 Posts
    • 54,155 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    Compensation culture or what!

Bank will refund the money straight away under the DD guarantee. £12 is insignificant and not something that will cause stress.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 8th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Art Deco
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:03 PM
    Just had our bank statement arrive and noticed that £12 has been taken out by SAT TV by DD. We have not authorised this. We don't have Sky either, haven't for over 10 years now. Went to the bank and because the DD was on 1st March and its now 8th March they say they can't do anything. Our bank only opens twice a week and today was the earliest we could go! They gave us an address to contact INTERBACS RE SAT TV, in Manchester to try and get our money back. I googled it and got a phone number. They said they are merely a company who collects the money and can't do anything. They gave us another number to ring for SAT TV. We rang and had to leave a message - not holding my breathe that we will receive a call back! What do you think? The bank assure us that it will not happen again. This has disturbed both my husband (who is in his 70's) and myself. Do you think we can claim anything for the stress and worry this has caused us as we are now worried what else can be paid out from a bank without our permission!!
    Originally posted by Pet50
    What bank is it,? and why is it only open 2 days a week, not very good advice of them, are you sure noone else in the home has access to your bank details i cant understand how else a direct debit can be set up.,
    • grandma247
    • By grandma247 8th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 33,043 Thanks
    grandma247
    • 8th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 5:06 PM
    If you have ever had a direct debit for them it can suddenly activate after a long period of time. I went for an account review at my bank some time ago and the person who was dealing with it went through every direct debit I had listed. Any that had been inactive were deleted on her advice precisely to prevent the op's experience. We had a sky DD that we had to set up when we bought a freesat box. It was used once for a tiny payment and I can't remember what that was for. We cancelled the free offer of all channels for four months as soon as we could but I didn't give the DD a thought.
    • Chalkius
    • By Chalkius 13th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Chalkius
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    Go back to your bank and ask them to set up an indemnity claim for you to claim your funds back, shouldn't take long. AS for how they've taken the DD, is it something you had a long time ago? If not, I'm a bit confused as to how your bank let it go out, as your bank should hold a mandate for any company you've set a DD up to, and should reject any DD request without a mandate.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 19,048 Posts
    • 9,165 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    As I said on the duplicate thread, I suspect this payment is not a banking error at all and that this couple may have been paying this equipment insurance for a long period despite no longer having Sky. The payment might not be made monthly, it could be debited quarterly or even annually depending on the level of cover. This would explain why it is has suddenly "appeared"

However, if it is a "one off" payment of £12 then a refund is all that will be offered. There will be no compensation for "stress"
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 3,297 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Go back to your bank and ask them to set up an indemnity claim for you to claim your funds back, shouldn't take long. AS for how they've taken the DD, is it something you had a long time ago? If not, I'm a bit confused as to how your bank let it go out, as your bank should hold a mandate for any company you've set a DD up to, and should reject any DD request without a mandate.
    Originally posted by Chalkius
    A what now?

You simply tell the bank you want your money back under the direct debit guarantee
    • nyermen
    • By nyermen 13th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    nyermen
    Chalkius is right - there has to be a "mandate" in place (basically, permission). Otherwise the collection request would be refused by BACS. However, they can be set up automatically by a company without needing a written form/signature. As Jeremy Clarkson found out when he printed his account details claiming they were useless (and someone set up a charity DD on his behalf).

it can suddenly activate after a long period of time
    Note that after 13 months of inactivity, they become known as "dormant" and permission (or a new mandate) must be sought before claiming - see this link:
    https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/FAQs/pages/inactivedirectdebits.aspx
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 1:18 PM
    • 19,048 Posts
    • 9,165 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Chalkius is right - there has to be a "mandate" in place (basically, permission). Otherwise the collection request would be refused by BACS. However, they can be set up automatically by a company without needing a written form/signature.
    Originally posted by nyermen
    I suspect the mandate has been there all along and that this is satellite equipment insurance that the Op simply failed to cancel when they dispensed with Sky.

The Op doesn't appear to be in any hurry to update either of the two threads on the subject.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,941Posts Today

9,111Users online

Martin's Twitter