Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 8th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE News: Atom Bank to slash best-buy savings rate - act NOW to secure 2% 1-year fix
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    MSE News: Atom Bank to slash best-buy savings rate - act NOW to secure 2% 1-year fix 8th Mar 17 at 11:58 AM
    Savers have until midnight tomorrow to sign-up for Atom Bank's one-year fixed savings account paying a market-leading 2%, with MoneySavingExpert.com exclusively revealing that the app-only bank plans to cut the rate to 1.8% from 10 March...
    Read the full story:
    'Atom Bank to slash best-buy savings rate - act NOW to secure 2% 1-year fix'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 10-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Page 2
    • munkee_saver
    • By munkee_saver 9th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    munkee_saver
    I would give them a call Rich. Their call centre staff are excellent to be fair. You can tell theres a lot of first direct management there.

Also if you tap the App screen 5 times you will see a debug page open up. At the bottom it may list some strange words like animal names. If you see those its specific errors. I dont know the translation of what the errors mean but the call centre staff use it to debug issues really fast without you having to tell them some random garbage error message.

Alternatively if you can login they have a "app chat" which seems to work pretty good too.
    Last edited by munkee_saver; 09-03-2017 at 7:26 PM.
    • rward69
    • By rward69 9th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    rward69
    Straightforward opening. Transferred £50 to check details which showed up in account balance in about 10 minutes or so.
    • No_Name
    • By No_Name 10th Mar 17, 10:28 AM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    No_Name
    I may be a bit paranoid, but I would imagine the app is secure as anything and especially during the registration and application process.

Did everyone have to register all three security measures (code, face and voice ID) during applications, or could I have skipped face (which I may have missed)?

Looking at their FAQ, it apparently doesn't store a photo as such, but converted to 0s and 1s during application?
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 10th Mar 17, 11:19 AM
    • 2,715 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    greenglide
    it apparently doesn't store a photo as such, but converted to 0s and 1s during application?
    Well, yes, storing lots of pictures in a filing cabinet would be a problem these days!

Since the pictures will be digital as supplied (I assume!) then holding them as 0's and 1's would be simple!

Maybe what they really mean is that they dont actually store the picture itself but just the biometric data - distance between the eyes, from eyes to nose etc in the same way that passports etc work?
    Last edited by greenglide; 10-03-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
    • No_Name
    • By No_Name 10th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    No_Name

Maybe what they really mean is that they dont actually store the picture itself but just the biometric data - distance between the eyes, from eyes to nose etc in the same way that passports etc work?
    Originally posted by greenglide
    That's what I meant but not thinking straight in the morning!

Did people have to register all 3 methods of ID?
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 10th Mar 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    Zanderman
    That's what I meant but not thinking straight in the morning!

Did people have to register all 3 methods of ID?
    Originally posted by No_Name
    Yes. Two out of three is not an option as far as I can tell.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 10th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    badger09
    Yes. Two out of three is not an option as far as I can tell.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    Well I haven't registered voice recognition.Just code & face and I've been able to open & fund my account
    • colsten
    • By colsten 10th Mar 17, 4:28 PM
    • 8,593 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    colsten
    I have been unable to log into my Atom account for days even though it worked previously. I am just glad I have no money in there.
    • SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 10th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    Just been on the phone trying to reset my passcode, they are manically busy, apparently Martin Lewis was on TV talking about them, so added pressure.
    Promised to ring me back tonight.
    No worries.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 10th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    badger09
    I have been unable to log into my Atom account for days even though it worked previously. I am just glad I have no money in there.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Just logged into mine ok.

Face recognition didn't work, and I do feel daft blinking repeatedly at myself, not being one of the selfie generation, but passcode got me in.
    • Carolinemjs
    • By Carolinemjs 10th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Carolinemjs
    Originally posted by colsten
    Are you within the time frame for depositing money? You didn't say how many days.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 10th Mar 17, 5:53 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    badger09
    Are you within the time frame for depositing money? You didn't say how many days.
    Originally posted by Carolinemjs
    But even failing to fund in time wouldn't affect ability to log in?
    • colsten
    • By colsten 11th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 8,593 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    colsten
    Uninstalled and re-installed the app and registered again, with the exact same information I had registered with before, and now I can log in. I have an uneasy feeling about the IT system behind the app.
    • Marvo5
    • By Marvo5 11th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Marvo5
    Put my money in on the 8th but selected the 11th as interest payment as I have quite a lot going on on the 8th each month. Received £3.25 interest today into my "named" account.

So if this is all going to come crashing down at least I haven't lost my entire fortune.
    • munkee_saver
    • By munkee_saver 11th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    munkee_saver
    I wouldnt feel uneasy about their IT. Their core banking platform is used by sainsburys and a load of banks in america. At least its not an old mainframe system that they are patching up with plasters!

The app linking to the core banking system is probably where the issues come up most I'd say. But as far as your money ticking over gaining interest I'd definitely not be worried. They wouldnt have been given a banking license without proof of its functionality.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 11th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 8,593 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    colsten
    Give me a bank with a mainframe system any time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,195Posts Today

7,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin