Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 8th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Dating Advice Required
    • 8th Mar 17, 10:23 AM
    Dating Advice Required 8th Mar 17 at 10:23 AM
    Hi,
    I'm a long term user of the account but setup this profile for some anonymity.

I've recently met a girl and we've got on very well and dates have quickly built up without much effort and we're on four at present and all were quite long with solid but not ott communication in between.

As I've been out of the dating game for quite a few years I feel there is real potential here, what is the norm for things to evolve? I heard all the horror stories but I'm hoping at four dates it's not the norm if there is no interest.
Page 1
    • makingplans4nigel
    • By makingplans4nigel 8th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    makingplans4nigel
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    What sort of dates? Drinks, meals, quiet walks? What do you have in common? I'd say as long as she laughs at your jokes, appreciates that your music tastes are far superior to hers and she does that "thing" when she plays with her hair whilst you talk about a subject that you are particularly knowledgeable about, but she has absolutely no interest in, then ask her out before someone else does.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 8th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    They've been good dates with events, food and some drinks.

Obvioiusly there's been lots of kissing and she likes holding hands when we walk. Things seem good and we have more dates planned.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:57 PM
    They've been good dates with events, food and some drinks.

Obvioiusly there's been lots of kissing and she likes holding hands when we walk. Things seem good and we have more dates planned.
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    Then sit back, enjoy the present & look forward to what is coming, don't listen to other peoples advice on what to do & when to do it. It sounds like things are progressing mutually at a nice pace.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 8th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 7,824 Posts
    • 25,727 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    I don't quite understand what your question is. You've been on a few dates, it's going well - so carry on going on dates.
    What sort of horror stories are you talking about?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Mar 17, 3:05 PM
    • 12,400 Posts
    • 16,574 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Do people do lots of kissing if they aren't interested?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    waamo
    • 8th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    It sounds like things are evolving quite nicely to me. I believe the next stage is for you to buy a ring for her and her to buy a new dress.
    This space for hire.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 8th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    • 8th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 4:44 PM
    Perhaps I'm over analysing things, been out of the dating scene for a long time. I'm probably old fashioned and would not have agreed a second date if I wasn't quite interested at four dates I see real potential.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 8th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    If it all goes TU, at least you will always have an "...if only..." to look back on.

Seriously, it sounds like it's happening the right way. Perhaps she likes an old fashioned bloke, just go with the flow and enjoy it.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 9th Mar 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    I believe the dates rules are netflix and chill on the 3rd date, if there is a 4th date then the 3rd date couldn't have gone that bad,

Seriously though, just relax and enjoy, there aren't really any rules just enjoy yourself and do what feels right. After a few weeks if its going well then it might warrant a discussion on being exclusive, but again that is down to both of you, no right answers.
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 14th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Thanks for the advice guys. Things seem to be going well with date five over and more dates planned.

I've been out of the scene so long that I've over-analysed everything. I'm quite old school and if I wasn't interested or didn't see potential I wouldn't have continued after date one or two, however reading up online it looks like a minefield.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,769Posts Today

7,317Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin