Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vidar
    • By Vidar 8th Mar 17, 2:58 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Vidar
    How can I get old account information without paperwork?
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:58 AM
    How can I get old account information without paperwork? 8th Mar 17 at 2:58 AM
    Having been reading the articles on this site more and more lately in order to help me get a better understanding of my finances etc, I would like to check whether I'd ever had PPI on any of the accounts I'd had. The problem is most of these, are all over 6 years old and the paper work I'd had is long gone, after several house moves and a relationship breakdown that happened very quickly and resulted in most of my possessions being left behind.

The companies I need to check are Egg, Capital One, HSBC and Halifax (and Brighthouse, if I can check these) Now I have in the past tried to reclaim charges from these and sent cheques with the requests only to have my cheques returned and no account information provided.

How do I go about getting this information so that I can begin to check?

I know I definitely had PPI with Egg that they paid one month on while I was in hospital but promptly stopped when I came out as I was in temporary employment and it wasn't covered surprise surprise.
Page 1
    • amersall
    • By amersall 8th Mar 17, 6:44 AM
    • 16,687 Posts
    • 18,736 Thanks
    amersall
    • 8th Mar 17, 6:44 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 6:44 AM
    If you asked for information, enclosed £10 and you had the cheques returned, it looks like they could not find any info on any accounts.
    Did they say why they returned the cheques?.
    What information did you ask for, did you give all addresses that you lived at and any other personal information?.

• -taff
    • By -taff 8th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 4,901 Thanks
    -taff
    • 8th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    Did you send a £1 cheque or a £10 cheque?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    If you asked for information, enclosed £10 and you had the cheques returned, it looks like they could not find any info on any accounts.
    Did they say why they returned the cheques?.
    What information did you ask for, did you give all addresses that you lived at and any other personal information?.
    Originally posted by amersall
    The OP might have requested a copy of the Agreement as that is what the MSE advice article mentions doing (but only on open accounts). If the accounts are closed then that would explain the returned cheques, although I would have expected an explanatory letter from the lenders concerned.
    On the other hand, if the OP rightly made a Subject Access Request (SAR), then I agree it's likely no information has been kept or been found.
    • Vidar
    • By Vidar 8th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Vidar
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    I'd sent cheques for £10, had no explanation as to why they'd been returned. I'd asked for a list of charges that had been made on the accounts as per the guide for claiming back unfair charges.

Is there a template letter for a SAR when you don't have account information anymore?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 8th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 4:04 PM
    I'd sent cheques for £10, had no explanation as to why they'd been returned. I'd asked for a list of charges that had been made on the accounts as per the guide for claiming back unfair charges.

Is there a template letter for a SAR when you don't have account information anymore?
    Originally posted by Vidar
    That'll be the issue then, you can't complain about historical "unfair" charges as the banks won the case in 2009, only about current financial hardship
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 4,901 Thanks
    -taff
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    Asking about unfiar charges is not the same as requesting your paperwork.

Send a SAR and £10, and use th template letter in the sticky on this board
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 8th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 35,583 Posts
    • 45,811 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    Asking about unfiar charges is not the same as requesting your paperwork.

Send a SAR and £10, and use th template letter in the sticky on this board
    Originally posted by -taff
    Having been reading the articles on this site more and more lately in order to help me get a better understanding of my finances etc, I would like to check whether I'd ever had PPI on any of the accounts I'd had. The problem is most of these, are all over 6 years old and the paper work I'd had is long gone, after several house moves and a relationship breakdown that happened very quickly and resulted in most of my possessions being left behind.

The companies I need to check are Egg, Capital One, HSBC and Halifax (and Brighthouse, if I can check these) Now I have in the past tried to reclaim charges from these and sent cheques with the requests only to have my cheques returned and no account information provided.

How do I go about getting this information so that I can begin to check?

I know I definitely had PPI with Egg that they paid one month on while I was in hospital but promptly stopped when I came out as I was in temporary employment and it wasn't covered surprise surprise.
    Originally posted by Vidar
    You say
    I have in the past tried to reclaim these charges.... plesae clarify
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Vidar
    • By Vidar 10th Mar 17, 2:50 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Vidar
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:50 AM
    • 10th Mar 17, 2:50 AM
    I have claimed (Successfully) for unfair bank charges from the HSBC and Halifax in the past, the others simply stiffed me but to be fair it was after the judgement.

I have never tried to claim for PPI before.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Mar 17, 6:50 AM
    • 7,452 Posts
    • 4,901 Thanks
    -taff
    OK, then they were probably confused by your request.

Use the template in the sticky on this board, and send the £10 cheque with it.
    • Nell001
    • By Nell001 10th Mar 17, 1:58 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nell001
    Sarr template
    Hi new to forum.i too think i have been charged ppi by egg.in fact i received a letter from barclaycard saying that if i think i was missold ppi to please get in touch.i thought it was a letter they sent out to everyone who had an egg account.people have said they only send you a letter if they think they have missold you ppi..i can no longer find the letter..the sarr template letter in the forum has account number to fill in.
    Can you still get info without an account number by sending that letter.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Mar 17, 2:12 PM
    • 13,687 Posts
    • 14,157 Thanks
    zx81
    people have said they only send you a letter if they think they have missold you ppi.
    Originally posted by Nell001
    You only get sent the letter if you had PPI. It's not suggesting you were mis sold.

If you don't have the account number, send whatever details you have with your complaint. They should find you from your address.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Mar 17, 2:55 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hi new to forum.i too think i have been charged ppi by egg.in fact i received a letter from barclaycard saying that if i think i was missold ppi to please get in touch.i thought it was a letter they sent out to everyone who had an egg account.people have said they only send you a letter if they think they have missold you ppi..i can no longer find the letter..the sarr template letter in the forum has account number to fill in.
    Can you still get info without an account number by sending that letter.
    It's known as a Customer Contact Letter, it allows them to trigger the 3 year time bar process, it's an invitation to complain, not a confirmation of miss-sale
    • Nell001
    • By Nell001 13th Mar 17, 2:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nell001
    Thank you zx81 and nazqueron for your replies.
    If the letter was saying that i have had ppi then i was not even aware the i had it.i have had loans in the past when i have said i dont want insurance and had to argue with the customer idviser why i dont want it.so its not something i would have willingly gone for.i do think i have a case for being missold..sorry for being dim but with regards to sending whatever details i have with my complaint.do you mean send off any information i have in a sarr letter to get my account number or just write a letter to complaints dept..or something else..do i need an accout number before i can try to claim for missold ppi...what road do i go down first.....any help and advise is very welcome as i am well out of my comfort zone with this.i have given barkleycard a ring but the cust addviser my current account num for the card i hold now.said ot was the same card just changed to a barclays card.this is not correct i did a expieria search.and that said the account was settled in nov 2011.and applied for my current barcleycard because it had 6.9% apr....
    • Nell001
    • By Nell001 13th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nell001
    Sorry about the spelling.i am on a smart phone and have big sausage fingers
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Mar 17, 3:07 PM
    • 35,583 Posts
    • 45,811 Thanks
    McKneff
    Nell, you should start a new thread of you own. It can get very confusong
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 5:13 PM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If the letter was saying that i have had ppi then i was not even aware the i had it.
    When did you receive the letter which you subsequently lost? If it was more than three years ago you will now be time-barred from complaint. If it was more recent, you won't need a SAR, just contact the Bank and ask them to confirm PPI. If you were sent a letter then there should be no question of them being able to confirm it.

You can then progress to complaint if you wish.
    • Nell001
    • By Nell001 13th Mar 17, 10:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nell001
    Yes indeed.posted on a smart phone in work hours.did not read back properly before i sent post......my bad........
    • Nell001
    • By Nell001 13th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nell001
    I did phone barcleycard.the customer idviser i spoke to could not give me any info on the egg card i had.the account was settled in November 2011.so it has been less than 6 years since the account was closed.i asked specifically for the account number for the egg card i had.i have a current barcleycard account.the customer advisor told me that the account number for the egg card will be the same as my barcley card that i currently hold.and that i will have been issued barclaycard automatically.this was not the case.i applied for the new barclaycard after the egg card account was settled and closed.i told this to the customer advisor who then said that he doesn't know then.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin