Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shopbot
    • By shopbot 7th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 1,000Posts
    • 408Thanks
    shopbot
    Samsung UE40ES5500
    • 7th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    Samsung UE40ES5500 7th Mar 17 at 11:22 PM
    I have a Samsung UE40ES5500. When watching it, on high contrast edges there is a blue/purple fringing effect. It looks similar to what photographers call Chromatic Aberration.

Is there anything I can do to reduce this? The firmware is up to date. The only other thing I have altered in settings is that motion smoothing is currently turned off.

Thanks
    SB

Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 9,441 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    I would factory reset and see if the defaults solve the problem .
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    Maybe look at your picture settings. What picture mode are your using, what is your contrast, brightness and sharpness settings?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 31,395 Posts
    • 37,099 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 10:25 AM
    check for a firmware upgrade

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1118086
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 6,939 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    almillar
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    Might just be 'edge bleed' where the backlight can seep through at the edges - would usually just be bright, rather than specific colours, but you never know. Calibrate the thing to make sure you haven't just got it set up insanely brightly, and the only 'enhancement' I can think of that would mess around here would be 'edge enhancement' or whatever, but turn them all off for starters anyway!
    • shopbot
    • By shopbot 8th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    shopbot
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:30 PM
    Thanks for your replies.

Firmware is up to date. I will try and factory reset and then post back with picture modes and settings if that does not fix it.

• neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 9,730 Posts
    • 6,755 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    I'd post your current settings first before the reset otherwise you'll end up with horrible default settings that are no used to anyone.

My best advice is to have it in "Movie" mode if it's not already and drop your sharpness settings right down as it sounds like you currently seeing ringing around images. Might be worth having a pop over to avforums.com to see if you can search out some recommended settings for your TV or get yourself a calibration disc.

You might also want to look at the comments at the bottom of this page - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40es5500-ue32es5500-201207031898.htm
    Last edited by neilmcl; 08-03-2017 at 1:45 PM.
    • shopbot
    • By shopbot 8th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    shopbot
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    I'd post your current settings first before the reset otherwise you'll end up with horrible default settings that are no used to anyone.

My best advice is to have it in "Movie" mode if it's not already and drop your sharpness settings right down as it sounds like you currently seeing ringing around images. Might be worth having a pop over to avforums.com to see if you can search out some recommended settings for your TV or get yourself a calibration disc.

You might also want to look at the comments at the bottom of this page - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40es5500-ue32es5500-201207031898.htm
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I'd just done the reset when I read your post. Thanks for the link - that's really helpful. There are some settings in the comments that I will try out. I will report back in case anyone else has a similar issue.

• shopbot
    • By shopbot 10th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    shopbot
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 10th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    An update and a thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread.

A factory reset and applying the settings in the hdtvtest seems to have done the trick. I've just watched a film with plenty of back lit and high contrast scenes. I only noticed minimal purple/blue fringing approx three times and then probably because I was looking out for it. A massive improvement - thanks!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin