Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • goodValue
    • By goodValue 7th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 1Thanks
    goodValue
    Low usage on old phone
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:24 PM
    Low usage on old phone 7th Mar 17 at 4:24 PM
    I have been given a Samsung T Mobile 1120 that had been collecting dust in a drawer for a few years.
    I would go long periods without using it, so looked on this forum for the best firm to use.
    From what I saw, there were firms recommended for occasional use, but this was for smartphones only.

What would be the cheapest way for very low usage, for an older phone?

(I didn't completely understand the difference between Sim only and Pay As You Go:
    for Sim only, wouldn't you still need a firm to connect your calls,
    and
    for PAYG, wouldn't you still have to buy a Sim?)
Page 1
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 7th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 1,086 Thanks
    cookie365
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:12 PM
    Sim only = you take out an airtime contract, but provide the phone yourself. You get billed for your monthly tariff plus any additional usage afterwards

PAYG = no contract, you provide the phone yourself, buy credit in advance, when it's used up you can't do anything chargeable any more. No bills because it's all prepaid.

You can get inclusive bundles on PAYG to make it behave a bit more like a contract, but again it's all in advance, no billing in arrears like with sim only.

You probably want pay as you go if you'll only use it occassionally

http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/compare-pay-as-you-go-networks

If it came from T-Mobile it may be locked to networks that run on EE. And some networks like Three won't let you use old (2G) phones so they won't be an option for you.

Asda mobile may be worth looking at.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 7,239 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 7th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    To use a mobile phone, you need the phone itself and a SIM card which essentially assigns a phone number to the phone and connects you to a network.

A SIM-only deal is one where all you get is a SIM card (as opposed to getting a new phone as well).

Then there are "contract" deals, where you agree to pay a monthly fee for a year or two, and "PAYG" (pay as you go) deals where there's no monthly fee and you pay in advance for calls, etc.

PAYG SIMs are good for low-usage as there is no monthly fee, however call charges are high.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 7th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 7th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    An Asda SIM would be a good idea.

If your phone is branded T mobile there is a chance it is locked to the EE network. Therefore safe options are virgin, asda, vectone, EE.

Asda is the best value out of those. Get one from their website
    • goodValue
    • By goodValue 8th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    goodValue
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    There's a lot of useful information in the link you sent.
    I'll have a look at this in detail, particularly for Asda.
    • goodValue
    • By goodValue 8th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    goodValue
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    PAYG SIMs are good for low-usage as there is no monthly fee, however call charges are high

So PAYG looks the best for me.

If your phone is branded T mobile there is a chance it is locked to the EE network. Therefore safe options are virgin, asda, vectone, EE.

If I took the phone to Asda for PAYG, they would give me a SIM and unlock the phone from T Mobile?
    Or, because the phone hasn't been used for a number of years, is it no longer locked?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 5,042 Thanks
    Farway
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    PAYG SIMs are good for low-usage as there is no monthly fee, however call charges are high

So PAYG looks the best for me.

If I took the phone to Asda for PAYG, they would give me a SIM and unlock the phone from T Mobile?
    Or, because the phone hasn't been used for a number of years, is it no longer locked?
    Originally posted by goodValue
    T mobile morphed into EE, so in theory an Asda sim should work fine in it because Asda use the EE network

Asda, online, not in store, will send you a free sim, and best bit is it comes with about 50p worth of texts, call free on it

You can buy sim in store, for 50p I think, but on line is very quick, mine seems to be return of post nearly, if you applied now, today, I bet it would be there by Saturday

It will have a new moblie number to go with the sim

Just make sure you select PAYG when choosing the sim option from on line shop

PS if it doesn't work it will have cost you nothing and you are not commited to anything
    Last edited by Farway; 08-03-2017 at 3:26 PM. Reason: PS
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 8th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    Asda won't unlock it for you. And it doesn't unlock after time.

Order an Asda sim online
    • goodValue
    • By goodValue 9th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    goodValue
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    Thanks again for this very useful information.
    I have gone to the Asda Mobile site, but cannot find a PAYG option on the Ordering Sim page, even if I go to that page from a PAYG prices page.
    The ordering page is always pre-populated with a Bundle option.
    Does this mean that you cannot now get the free Sim with PAYG?
    • Shrimply
    • By Shrimply 9th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Shrimply
    Just fill in your information on that page, the bundles are there for information only (you will not be asked for payment details).

Once you have the sim you can use it purely as PAYG or could buy whatever bundle you wished for a given month.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 9th Mar 17, 2:19 PM
    • 9,873 Posts
    • 8,853 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    Just been in the same position as you today! I have an old Nokia 2330c which was locked to EE. Apart from EE having poor reception where I live, their non-bundle PAYG is 30p per minute, with swingeing charges for texts too.

I took the handset to a guy on the market. The 2330c is an old candy bar but one that needs an unlock code. The guy said "Give me half an hour" and when I went back, he had unlocked it for 10.

That left me free to put in a 10 O2 sim where the costs are 5p per minute and as long as you make a call every 6 months or so, never ending. Tesco also may be able to help if you ask for their Lite tariff which is 8p per minute.

And finally, you can get a locked Alcatel handset for a tenner from O2 and with a 10 top up, you are up and away.

Hope this helps.
    • goodValue
    • By goodValue 19th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    goodValue
    Many thanks for all the help - I now have a working mobile.

As a general query, does anyone have any advice about using it when calling customer services (when you expect to be on hold for a long time).
    I got the Asda Sim which is 8p a minute, but if you're on hold for 20 minutes, the costs start mounting.
    I noticed that there were a couple of suppliers with a cost of 3 or 4p a minute - wouldn't these be better on long holds?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 19th Mar 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Do you have a landline?

What are the first 4 digits of the numbers your on hold on?

You did ask for a low use sim
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 7:00 PM
    • 7,239 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    esuhl
    As a general query, does anyone have any advice about using it when calling customer services (when you expect to be on hold for a long time).
    I got the Asda Sim which is 8p a minute, but if you're on hold for 20 minutes, the costs start mounting.
    I noticed that there were a couple of suppliers with a cost of 3 or 4p a minute - wouldn't these be better on long holds?
    Hopefully you won't need to call customer services very often.

Otherwise, the SayNoTo0870 website suggests that you could try calling
    0800 9520101 and choosing options 1, 3, 4, then 1. Or calling 0113 241 9833 and asking for Asda Mobile.

Just make sure you're really talking to Asda Mobile and not Identity Thieves R'Us.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 5,042 Thanks
    Farway
    Many thanks for all the help - I now have a working mobile.

Before jumping ship to cheaper calls, check they work on your network first [EE I think is now]

As said, calling CS should not be a problem, I have been with Asda mobile over ten years and never had a reason to call them yet

I have not checked the web site, but maybe there is option there to message them, or at last resort pop in and ask at the electronics counter, you may just find someone who knows there
    • goodValue
    • By goodValue 20th Mar 17, 5:46 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    goodValue
    I think I misled some people with my last query - I was asking about phoning any Customer Services, not just Asda Mobile.(I think that you can call Asda for free).
    I asked because I was phoning a utility company or bank a couple of weeks ago, and it was about 20 minutes before I got through to a representative.
    By coincidence my landline(Post Office) costs about the same per minute as Asda does.

I suppose one of the things I wanted to know was why Asda is so well thought of, though there are other suppliers are cheaper.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 20th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    AndyPK
    The main reasons I recomended Asda was:

1) It should work with a phone locked to T-Mobile. (there was a high chance yours was locked to T-mobile as branded)
    2) It's a free sim, with some free minutes to get you started.
    3) Calls are a reasonable price
    4) It uses the EE network, which is normally good.

If you actually going to use your mobile phone quite a lot, (rather than just an emergency phone) I would recommend a sim only deal.
    For example:

Virgin Mobile 6 per month you get 300 minutes per month and unlimited txt's
    http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

Plusnet 5 per month. 250mins, 500 TXT's per month.
    www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only

If you exceed these limits call get expensive though. ~ 40p/minute.

Of those I would recommend virgin.

There is also vectone. Cheaper, but budget customer service etc.

So keep an eye on how much you are topping up and using.
    If your using more than 6 per month, you may be better with sim only.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 20-03-2017 at 8:02 PM.
    • goodValue
    • By goodValue 21st Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    goodValue
    I will make little use of the mobile phone, so the Asda sim will be good for me.
    The query about Customer Services was not really a mobile issue, but a general phone problem. It's a problem that you will get whether using a mobile or a landline. And the problem is really with the Customer Service departments rather than the phone service providers.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 21st Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 2,035 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    AndyPK
    for example npower uses Freephone numbers starting 0800 (free from landline)

There are also numbers like 0330 (or similar) which are free from mobile phones (as far as I know), so when contacting a company, search the internet for contact numbers and only save the correct mobile Freephone number in your mobiles address book.

I think I'm correct in this, not fully up to date.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 21st Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 5,042 Thanks
    Farway
    First stop for calling non free CS number should be saynoto0870

May not find a free number but an alternative to a premium one
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,140Posts Today

6,318Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin