Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 158Posts
    • 16Thanks
    srisport
    3 Getting there own back?
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    3 Getting there own back? 7th Mar 17 at 3:54 PM
    Recently received a letter through the post from 3 advising me that the 12 month minimum term on my Sim only contract has now ended and they have provided me with some discounted deals on new contracts but of course the price has increased.
    My current contract started in January 2014 and i have letters to prove this, and there only now telling me that my 12 month minimum term is over? hmmmm something smells fishy to me......

My current contract is:

Unlimited data, text and 200 mins for £15 per month

The deal they have offered is:

Unlimited data, minutes and i think text too for £19 per month

Now i know this new deal sounds good (£1 less if i bought off the high street) but i don't even use 200 mins and I'm a bit peeved off to have to pay £4 more than what i did for essentially the same thing.

What makes me laugh is:

December 2016 i complained about poor service (loss of phone signal and 3G service) and during 3 weeks of December had very little to no service what so ever!
    So of course i complained and at first they offered me £5 refund but i argued with them until they refunded me the full months bill (£15)

Now all of a sudden my minimum 12 month contract is up, 2 years later may i add and I'm having to move contracts! Personally i think 3 are trying to pull the wool over my eyes and are getting sweet revenge over having to refund me £15

Anyone else been in a similar position?

Should i take it further or just except that 3 has won this battle?

Ive checked and no other phone provider can beat what 3 are offering.

Advice and tips welcome.

Regards.
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 13,243 Posts
    • 12,752 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:58 PM
    Yes 3 have created this deal just to get back £15.....
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:03 PM
    Yes 3 have created this deal just to get back £15.....
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Not quite the advise i was looking for but thanks......

P.S

I know they haven't created a special contract just for me for as pay back.... but they were ok with me going over my minimum term by 2 years and now all of sudden they have a change of heart?

Regards.
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 7th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3,008 Posts
    • 5,123 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:13 PM
    Not quite the advise i was looking for but thanks......

P.S

I know they haven't created a special contract just for me for as pay back.... but they were ok with me going over my minimum term by 2 years and now all of sudden they have a change of heart?

Regards.
    Originally posted by srisport
    You didn't "go over your minimum term by two years". Your T&Cs will state it will either go to a rolling 30 day contract or a rolling 12 month contract if you don't cancel.

If you're not happy, leave. its that simple. I have no idea what you're looking for here, three aren't "getting their own back" - tariffs and price plans change all the time, and they are just readjusting yours in line with what is now their standard. either agree to the new terms or leave and give them their 30 days notice.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 5,080 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    I signed up with Three a few months ago. After cashback, it costs £6.50 a month for unlimited minutes and texts and 4GB data.

£15 a month for just 200 minutes is insane!!! It's definitely worth shopping around as a "new" customer... :-)
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    You didn't "go over your minimum term by two years". Your T&Cs will state it will either go to a rolling 30 day contract or a rolling 12 month contract if you don't cancel.

If you're not happy, leave. its that simple. I have no idea what you're looking for here, three aren't "getting their own back" - tariffs and price plans change all the time, and they are just readjusting yours in line with what is now their standard. either agree to the new terms or leave and give them their 30 days notice.
    Originally posted by DomRavioli
    Im not quite sure what I'm looking for either, maybe this is all a coincidence. But i thought i would post the query anyway.

Thank you for your response.

Regards.
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    I signed up with Three a few months ago. After cashback, it costs £6.50 a month for unlimited minutes and texts and 4GB data.

£15 a month for just 200 minutes is insane!!! It's definitely worth shopping around as a "new" customer... :-)
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Thanks for your tip, I'm still looking at alternative contracts but if I'm honest no one comes close to three and what their offering.

Did you still get the cashback?

Regards.
    Last edited by srisport; 07-03-2017 at 5:32 PM.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 5,080 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:08 PM
    Thanks for your tip, I'm still looking at alternative contracts but if I'm honest no one comes close to three and what their offering.

Regards.
    Yeah -- it's annoying when it works like that. It'd be a bit of a faff, but you could get a free PAYG SIM on another network and port your number to that. As soon as it's ported, sign up to another Three deal (and move your number back) and you'll qualify as being a "new customer"...
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    Yeah -- it's annoying when it works like that. It'd be a bit of a faff, but you could get a free PAYG SIM on another network and port your number to that. As soon as it's ported, sign up to another Three deal (and move your number back) and you'll qualify as being a "new customer"...
    Don't think i would have to do that, the terms only say on new contracts, so as long as i cancel my old contract and purchase a new contract then that should meet their criteria for cashback, i would then have to transfer my old number as well.

Just out of interest, was your contract on sale when you got it? If its the one I've seen then is it 4GB data, Unlimited texts/mins for £11 (was £17) on a 12 month contract?

Did you get £50 Cashback

Regards.
    Last edited by srisport; 07-03-2017 at 5:32 PM.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Mar 17, 6:10 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 5,080 Thanks
    esuhl
    Don't think i would have to do that, the terms only say on new contracts, so as long as i cancel my old contract and purchase a new contract then that should meet their criteria for cashback, i would then have to transfer my old number as well.
    If you cancel your old contract, won't you lose your phone number...?

Just out of interest, was your contract on sale when you got it? If its the one I've seen then is it 4GB data, Unlimited texts/mins for £11 (was £17) on a 12 month contract?

Did you get £50 Cashback

Regards.
    I can't remember the details, but there was some kind of promotion on the Three site. And I got cashback via Quidco too.

I think it might have been £30 or £35 cashback because the discount on the Three site was already pretty good.

I think I just timed it right and got a really good deal. I'd been looking around for a while and the prices and cashback seem to fluctuate quite a bit over time.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 7th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    flashg67
    Same here - had three of these contracts and had letter on all of them in the last couple of months. You're right, the £19 deal is good if you need the data but I expect to have to renegotiate again 12 months.

I don't think they're required to tell you when the original contracts end, I don't remember a provider who has told me tbh. The contract is still in force, albeit on a 30 day rolling contract. They're entitled to change the terms at this stage, just as you can cancel when you like now

Have a look at your bills and see if you really need all the data - my step daughter thought she was data heavy but only actually used 7Gb and was able to find a better deal elsewhere
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 6:15 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    If you cancel your old contract, won't you lose your phone number...?
    Not if i ask for the PAC code after cancelling

I can't remember the details, but there was some kind of promotion on the Three site. And I got cashback via Quidco too.

I think it might have been £30 or £35 cashback because the discount on the Three site was already pretty good.

I think I just timed it right and got a really good deal. I'd been looking around for a while and the prices and cashback seem to fluctuate quite a bit over time.
    So you still got the cashback even though the contract was on sale? Nothing in the quidco terms says that it can't be used in conjunction with other offers. How long did it take from tracking the cashback to being payable?

Regards.
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 6:21 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    Have a look at your bills and see if you really need all the data - my step daughter thought she was data heavy but only actually used 7Gb and was able to find a better deal elsewhere
    Originally posted by flashg67
    in the past 12 months, only once have i gone over 30GB of data but the rest of the time I'm usually round the 24-27GB per month.

Its the unlimited minutes i don't need, i don't even need unlimited texts either but for £19 you can't really complain. At least I'm not the only one being moved off this plan, this is probably the answer i was originally looking for tbh when i started this thread.

Regards.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 7,188 Posts
    • 5,080 Thanks
    esuhl
    Not if i ask for the PAC code after cancelling
    I don't think you can get a PAC on a closed account. :-/

So you still got the cashback even though the contract was on sale? Nothing in the quidco terms says that it can't be used in conjunction with other offers. How long did it take from tracking the cashback to being payable?
    Yes. Because the Three deal was so good, I think Quidco set up a special (slightly-lower) cashback level for it. Read through all the different cashback amounts on Quidco to make sure that you haven't skipped over the one that applies to your specific deal if it's on sale.

I just got the cashback, actually -- it must be three or four months since I took the contract out, so it takes a while!
    Last edited by esuhl; 07-03-2017 at 8:16 PM.
    • srisport
    • By srisport 7th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    I don't think you can get a PAC on a closed account. :-/
    By requesting a PAC code i have started the cancellation process of my Sim Only contract with three which i have 30 days to use, took me 30mins of nagging the three operator but finally got it, I'm going to transfer it to a PAYG o2 sim i no longer use, take out the new contract and transfer it back to my new 3 contract.

Yes. Because the Three deal was so good, I think Quidco set up a special (slightly-lower) cashback level for it. Read through all the different cashback amounts on Quidco to make sure that you haven't skipped over the one that applies to your specific deal if it's on sale.

I just got the cashback, actually -- it must be three or four months since I took the contract out, so it takes a while!
    looks like all 12 month contracts (unless specified in a different deal) on Quidco that have 4GB data upwards come with a £50 cashback bonus, I'm looking at the 30GB with 600mins and unlimited texts for £20 on the three website.

With the £50 cashback given that will leave me with a contract which has cost £15.83 per month for 12 months.

So not only have a gained in 400 extra minutes over my old contract but i have increased my tethering allowance as well from 4GB too 30GB for £0.83p extra a month!

Fingers cross i get the cashback now...

Regards.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 9th Mar 17, 3:11 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    robrymond
    My wife was on a similar tariff of: 200 mins, 300 3-3 mins, unlited texts and 30GB data and has had a letter about the increase.

They really are bumping up the data tariffs at the moment. She doesn't need the minutes either but uses mainly data now. Of course no one comes close, she has been offered the 30GB data, 30GB tethering, 200 mins and unlimited texts for £20.
    • srisport
    • By srisport 11th Mar 17, 6:38 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    srisport
    My wife was on a similar tariff of: 200 mins, 300 3-3 mins, unlited texts and 30GB data and has had a letter about the increase.

They really are bumping up the data tariffs at the moment. She doesn't need the minutes either but uses mainly data now. Of course no one comes close, she has been offered the 30GB data, 30GB tethering, 200 mins and unlimited texts for £20.
    Originally posted by robrymond

Was she not offered unlimited data, minutes and texts for £19?

That was the original offer from 3 for me but I declined it.

Regards.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 11th Mar 17, 7:49 AM
    • 5,060 Posts
    • 4,481 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I've found its really easy to haggle with 3. If there's a store near you it would be worth dropping in and having a chat (preferably with a manager). As long as you're nice to them they'll probably sort you out with a good deal.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 11th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    Is it the One Plan, the contract that you were on?
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 11th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    robrymond
    Was she not offered unlimited data, minutes and texts for £19?

That was the original offer from 3 for me but I declined it.

Regards.
    No she hasn't oddly. I called up about my price for £20, but they cannot budge. Nice Scottish women, said my tariff is now £27 on a rolling monthly so I'm saving £7. I said the increase from £12.90 to £27 in a space of a year is shocking and how I wished my wages went up that fast! She agreed...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,169Posts Today

8,298Users online

Martin's Twitter