Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wassa123
    • By Wassa123 7th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 210Posts
    • 79Thanks
    Wassa123
    Limescaled Shower
    • 7th Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    Limescaled Shower 7th Mar 17 at 9:09 AM
    Hi all,

We have a 3 floor townhouse.
    Hot water tank is on the middle floor.
    Cold water tank is in the attic.

We have a shower cubicle on the middle floor with just a shower mixer (non power) and a hose.
    We have a bath mixer on the top floor with a hose leading to the shower (non power).

We've been in the house for a year, and have noticed the pressure of the top floor shower (which was initially rubbish) get worse over time. We've cleaned the shower head, but I noticed the hose was actually blocked with limescale too!

It's easier to replace this than delimescale it. Is it possible to get antilimescale hoses/heads or do they just need regular cleaning?

Living in a hard water area, would the limescale just be contained to the shower heads and the hoses? Would I need to remove the bath/shower mixers and delimescale inside those too?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:01 AM
    It's easier to replace this than delimescale it. Is it possible to get antilimescale hoses/heads or do they just need regular cleaning?
    Originally posted by Wassa123
    Yes it's easier and hoses can be bought pretty cheaply. If you want to clean them, leave them soaking overnight in vinegar. Get a couple of rubber bungs, fill the hose with vinegar, stopper it and leave overnight. Then rinse through. If you have something you can pass through it to agitate any limescale, all the better. Use something like a length of rope. Make sure you take off the washers at either end before doing any of this, and keep them safe. It's easy to lose them down the sink or elsewhere when you're cleaning the hose.

I'd leave the mixers to a plumber if you're not handy with that sort of thing. You might descale them but end up with a secondary problem through not knowing what you're doing. I've been there...
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 7th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:05 AM
    To de-scale the shower head, get a small plastic bag, fill it with vinegar and then place the shower head in the bag. Secure the bag to the head with a good rubber band and leave overnight.
    • BoxerfanUK
    • By BoxerfanUK 7th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    BoxerfanUK
    • 7th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    Check the internal bore size of your current shower hose. Most are only around 6 or 7mm internal diameter but you can buy ones with 11mm internal diameter which will give a greater flow rate which could improve things. Also check you have a high flow shower head as not all are the same.

I recently replaced mine from here..... currently shower heads on BOGOF 2 for £12.00 delivered.

http://www.showerpowerbooster.co.uk/product/2-the-wright-choice-stainless-steel-shower-hose/

http://www.showerpowerbooster.co.uk/product/shower-head-6-multispray-patterns-low-head-loss-best-test-cranfield-university/
    • Cats are great
    • By Cats are great 13th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Cats are great
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    I regularly use White vinegar and lemon juice to de scale, it needs to be there overnight if possible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

6,871Users online

Martin's Twitter