Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 7,129Posts
    • 1,625Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Mobility scooter insurance
    • 7th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    Mobility scooter insurance 7th Mar 17 at 8:38 AM
    I have just bought myself a mobility scooter (£1500) and was quoted £86 pa insurance by the vendor - I am looking for cheaper cover elsewhere - any suggestions/advice welcome
    What level do I need ?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 7th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    • 7th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    You might of done this already,but have you done a Google search also have you tried RSA the company who provides the car insurance for Motability.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    You might of done this already,but have you done a Google search also have you tried RSA the company who provides the car insurance for Motability.
    Originally posted by bigbulldog
    I have done a Google search and have come up with many companies - offering insurance at around £41 pa - but am looking for some advice as to which is reputable
    I see that MSE does not include Disability scooters on its main site insurance section ....
    #
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 07-03-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    I have done a Google search and have come up with many companies - offering insurance at around £41 pa - but am looking for some advice as to which is reputable
    I see that MSE does not include Disability scooters on its main site insurance section ....
    I am struggling to find RSA insurance - I have found MOBILITY car insurance but not Scooters !!
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 7th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 7th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 11:35 AM
    Are you sure it is not covered by your home insurance? You will have to pay extra for it to be covered outside of your home but it may not cost much more being an optional extra. It may be worth ringing your home contents insurer to see what they will charge? (if you have contents insurance, obviously).
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 7th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 7th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    Are you sure it is not covered by your home insurance? You will have to pay extra for it to be covered outside of your home but it may not cost much more being an optional extra. It may be worth ringing your home contents insurer to see what they will charge? (if you have contents insurance, obviously).
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Thanks - I am checking with Hastings Direct - but their system is currently up the creek
    LIVE CHAT down and my email address is not recognised on-line - despite having used it to purchase a policy less than 2 months ago !
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 7th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 3:43 PM
    Motability has RSA on there Motability scooters,so I would of thought you should be able to purchase directly from RSA for your scooter.
    Last edited by bigbulldog; 07-03-2017 at 4:05 PM.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    Motability has RSA on there Motability scooters,so I would of thought you should be able to purchase directly from RSA for your scooter.
    I agree but can't see it on-line
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 7th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    B_G_B
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    Have you tried a broker?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Have you tried a broker?
    Originally posted by B_G_B
    No- haven't had a chance yet - only got it yesterday...
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 7th Mar 17, 5:02 PM
    • 6,012 Posts
    • 10,812 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    My chairs are covered under the home insurance policy for an extra £30 a year, our home insurance is with M&S
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 7th Mar 17, 7:10 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    I would have thought that two (or a combination) policie(s) need to be taken out. One to cover for theft, damage etc on a comprehensive basis. Also a policy to cover for third party damage to property and the general public..
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 8th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 6,012 Posts
    • 10,812 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I would have thought that two (or a combination) policie(s) need to be taken out. One to cover for theft, damage etc on a comprehensive basis. Also a policy to cover for third party damage to property and the general public..
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    My policy covers all of that in one.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Mar 17, 5:21 PM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I have emailed my insurance company (Hastings direct) to ask them...
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 8th Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 6,012 Posts
    • 10,812 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Chances are they'll cover you with no problems, M&S have been great with me and I get the impression it's a fairly standard add on.

NOT BUYING IT
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 9th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    my powerchair is added onto home insurance (halifax) it worked out far cheaper and better cover. Still has the public liability and away from home use.. i wish i'd known this or thought about it years ago when i had scooter policies.

there are restrictions on leaving unatended for any length of time usually so check as scooter users often need to leave scooter outside dr's/shops/cafe etc if bigger model
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Still waiting to hear from Hastings direct !!
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 9th Mar 17, 6:56 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    No doubt that the premiums will now skyrocket because of the amount that can be paid out for accidents involving the public. I would go as far as to say that premiums on scooters should match those of cars given the way some users drive them on the footpath and in stores!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Mar 17, 8:39 PM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    . Hi
    No doubt that the premiums will now skyrocket because of the amount that can be paid out for accidents involving the public. I would go as far as to say that premiums on scooters should match those of cars given the way some users drive them on the footpath and in stores!
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    Yeah right ......
    A £1500 scooter can do similar damage to a £10000 car - driven by a kid ?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 12th Mar 17, 11:56 AM
    • 7,129 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    OK Still not received a quote from Hastings direct
    They told me in their reply that they needed me to phone them with details of the model that I had bought
    I replied to them - by email - detailing the model - 3 days ago - still nothing back !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,669Posts Today

7,378Users online

Martin's Twitter