Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jon_W
    • By Jon_W 6th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Jon_W
    What will a financial adviser do for me?
    • 6th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    What will a financial adviser do for me? 6th Mar 17 at 9:57 PM
    I am reading Smarter Investing by Tim Hale. I coped up until chapter 7 where I found it difficult. 8 was harder and 9 doesn't make any sense at all to me (I am in NO way blaming the book here!!).

The book makes a rational case for spreading your investments between (high quality, shorter term) bonds and equity (including emerging markets and lower value and risky companies) depending on what you want your holdings to do.

I don't know where to start. If you said to me 'Go and buy a UK Governmenr bond' I wouldn't know what to do. If you said to me 'Invest in a fund that replicates the FTSE All Share Index', likewise.

Would I be able to sit down with an adviser and say something like:

1. I am nearing 40
    2. I have no pension or other assets
    3. I want to invest a fair-sized 5 figure sum so that it grows steadily to provide for when I'm retired
    4. But it needs to be liquid in case I ever need cash for an emergency
    5. This should be split between around 20% in bonds and 80% equities spread like this according to this book( the table 7.9 for anyone who has the book)

Can you use my money to buy funds to represent this mix?

Also would those fund managers reinvest the income from the fund back into or does my adviser decide where to invest it?

What sort of fees will the adviser charge, a flat fee or a percentage of any gains?

I can imagine some jaws hitting the floor with some of the basic Qs I've asked here!
Page 7
    • badger09
    • By badger09 12th Mar 17, 1:12 PM
    • 4,622 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    badger09
    bowlhead99 you have the patience of a saint
    • Jon_W
    • By Jon_W 12th Mar 17, 10:32 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Jon_W
    As a show of gratitude to Bowlhead and dunstonh I'd like to make a donation to charities of your choosing. Where would you both like me to donate to?
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Mar 17, 10:44 PM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    Thanks, no problem, but make the charity of your choosing. And don't forget to check the box for gift aid
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,151Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter