Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 6th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Bath cube
    Insurer being awkward about claim
    • 6th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    Insurer being awkward about claim 6th Mar 17 at 8:45 PM
    The circumstances regarding this are quite a long story so I will keep it short and to the point as much as I can. Last june I was assaulted to the extent I received blows to my head and was knocked unconscious. When I cane around I summoned immediate medical attention by way of calling for a ambulance. Due to having been an assault the police were requested to attend with the ambulance staff. I was transfered to hospital and confirmed as having concussion and was kept there until the following afternoon. Whlist I was at hospital my partner returned home and realised I was not home it was late on a weekend night. He noticed my laptop charger was plugged in and my case on the sofa but no laptop there. He went upstairs into our bedroom and noticed our chest of drawers disturbed and two other laptops had gone. Also my small jewelery box was on the floor at the side of my dressing table empty. A neighbour knocked to tell him I had been taken away by ambulance and the police has asked some neighbours had they seen or heard anything
    When he got to the hospital he told me about the missing things and we both concluded the person who assaulted me took them whilst I was unconscious. We reported the theft the following day by phone to the police who had already logged the assault the previous night and they gave us a crime reference number. We then got in touch with our insurers to put forward a claim. Some weeks later the police told us someone had come forward with information regarding the attacker and had taken them in for questioning. Our insurer sent a independent assessor to see us regarding the claim. We have been told our claim wI'll only be paid out if they can retrieve the costs back from the attacker. Is this right.
Page 3
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 20th Mar 17, 6:07 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    When I specified the diamond ring I was asked the carat weight and metal purity. But they did not ask me to specify the quality of the stone eg colour grading. I also wasn't asked if I had a separate valuation following the years since the ring was originally purchased. They only asked what shape and size and setting the diamond had plus the original purchase cost and nothing else. I was advised to take a photo of myself wearing those items to help in the event I needed to make a claim which I did so.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Mar 17, 6:40 PM
    • 18,278 Posts
    • 46,767 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That's a pity.

If you had a certificate stating the diamond was 1.25 carat, colour E, VVS2 then they would have had to replace it with one the same quality.

Have you found an acceptable ring in F Hinds yet?
    • chocaholics
    • By chocaholics 20th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 4,050 Thanks
    chocaholics
    Oops it's 0800 023 4567 not 027.
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    Many thanks Bath cube, Ive not looked at the forum for a while as I was under the impression from a poster that I didn't have a hope of anything better, but I will call and put my case to them. Will post if I have any luck with them.

Incidentally my valuation from F. Hinds states .75 carat diamond and 18 carat gold, £1995 and not another word.
    Last edited by chocaholics; 20-03-2017 at 7:32 PM.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 21st Mar 17, 2:27 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Next time I comment on my post it will be to let other members know if my claim was granted or denied. I feel I have given enough information for advice on this now. Oh well fingers crossed and what ever will be shall be.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 21st Mar 17, 2:29 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Wishing you luck chocoholic
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 18,278 Posts
    • 46,767 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Next time I comment on my post it will be to let other members know if my claim was granted or denied. I feel I have given enough information for advice on this now. Oh well fingers crossed and what ever will be shall be.
    Would be really good to know how it's finally sorted.

FWIW, I think your insurance company are not being fair limiting you to one shop for the replacement of your ring.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 21st Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Thanks polly cat. I have had some private messages on here from other members who have had a similar problem with their insurer. I think it is likely I will be given a gemcheck card or cygnet vouchers which can be redeemed at most high street chains rather than just the one jewellery store. I never suggested I wanted a cash settlement from them and as other members have pointed out if you want the cash instead the insurers will give you a lot less. I'm not saying f hinds is rubbish as you can have a ring made to your own choice if required but I noticed some of their earrings looked a bit flimsy compared to my stolen ones.
    • sussexbhoy
    • By sussexbhoy 21st Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    sussexbhoy
    mine where very high quality mappin and webb.
    If you bought from Mappin & Webb then they should have supplied the GIA certificate with the ring which would give all the information you'll need about the diamond.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 24th Mar 17, 11:00 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Ok. My insurers third party loss adjustor contacted me today with a cash offer of three thousand four hundred pounds. I told them I had never asked for a cash settlement however I was told that even if I accept vouchers or a card the offer remains the same. I couldnt possibly replace my rings,earrings or laptops with this amountil I have a access to pay too. What do I do here?.
    • takman
    • By takman 25th Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    takman
    Ok. My insurers third party loss adjustor contacted me today with a cash offer of three thousand four hundred pounds. I told them I had never asked for a cash settlement however I was told that even if I accept vouchers or a card the offer remains the same. I couldnt possibly replace my rings,earrings or laptops with this amountil I have a access to pay too. What do I do here?.
    Well if that's all your going to get then you can get second hand laptops and jewellery to reduce the costs of replacement.

At the end of the day metal rings with £6000 shiny stones in them or £100 shiny stones in them are going to look almost identical and do exactly the same job!. If you really cared that much about them you would have got them professionally valued and informed the insurance company of the value of each item.
    • rs65
    • By rs65 25th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 5,268 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    rs65
    How do they arrive at that figure?

Do you have a single article limit on the policy?
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 25th Mar 17, 12:20 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    My policy states new for old. I have been advised in a private message to contact the ombudsman. I'm told most insurers try to get you to settle for much less and that you must reason with them.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 25th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    You've been asked several times and by several people - do you have a single item limit and did you specify anything above that?
    If you didn't, all the insurer is liable for is the maximum of the single item limit for anything valuable that's worth more than that.

As much as you keep complaining you aren't being settled at a high enough level, if you didn't insure at a high enough level to begin with that's not the insurers fault.
    Frivolous complaints to the Ombudsman (especially if you haven't exhausted the insurers complaints procedure and received a final response letter) won't get you very far.
    • boutrosboutrosghali
    • By boutrosboutrosghali 7th Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    boutrosboutrosghali
    Coming to this late - but I have some advice:

Your policy booklet will have wording in it along the lines of 'Should your claim be successful, we will only settle at the amount it would cost us to replace.' This is why the cash settlement figures are a lot lower - insurers get large discounts with their jewellery partners.

Have a look at your policy schedule. If you have specified items they will have a value next to them; a value you would have advised your insurer. It is up to you to update this value as appropriate and it is not the insurers fault if you have not done this.

Hypothetical situation:
    The contract (policy schedule) states, say, £3000 for a specified ring (because you specified it at that amount) and you put this on the policy 10 years ago. The ring is stolen, and the insurer's jeweller values the ring at £6000 - but guess what? Because you specified it at £3000, that is what you will get - that is the agreed upon limit as per your contract.

Finally, for items of jewellery you have not specified on the policy, these will, very likely, fall under the 'High Risk' section of the policy under the contents section. High risk items have their own item limit (probably £1500) and sum insured limit. Again, this is the contracted amount you have agreed to when taking out the policy.

This must have been a very distressing experience for you and I sympathise a great deal. I do think however, that you have come here wanting validation for your belief that 'new for old' means that you get reimbursement for the true value of your stolen items, when the contract with your insurer clearly states that this is not the case. You are getting new for old, at the valuation you agreed to on your policy.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 8th Apr 17, 8:46 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    Bath cube you haven't given enough information. Several people have asked you what your single article limit is, and you've not provided that information. If you don't know that info, then tell us who you're insured with and we can then tell you what your limit is.

Also, don't forget as I previously mentioned that the onus is on you to evident your claim. Therefore if you have, for example, a 22ct gold ring, and no paperwork saying it's 22ct gold, then the insurer will value it based on a 9ct gold ring - the same with diamonds etc. From experience the Ombudsman usually side with the insurer on that one.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 11th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    Me and my husband have decided to opt for the cash settlement. If I accepted vouchers or a card I would have received around thirty percent more to replace my jewellery but would have been limited to one store which was leslie davies. My insurer informed me that if a settlement is under five thousand pounds they give the option of cash or vouchers. If my settlement had been over five thousand pounds then vouchers or a lmg gem card would have been my only option. I have selected a ring from f hinds but it requires sizing which won't cost extra as I'm paying over one two thousand pounds. Our insurer will be paying the amount by BACS into my husbands account as he pays the monthly premium to them by direct debit. A nice guy who works at the loss adjustors claim services on behalf of our insurer did say if I felt I had been misled or felt they didn't stick to the agreed policy I have the right to make a formal complaint to the ombudsman service. I was informed that I have six months less one day from when my insurer made the payment to us.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 11th Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I was told it was a limit of three thousand per valuable item unless I wanted it increased at the cost of a extra £25 per annum. My argument is I was never advised of this in the six years with our insurer.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 11th Apr 17, 3:22 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    Have you not had a policy book in the last 6 years then?

Or more likely... you haven't read the policy book provided in the last 6 years?
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 11th Apr 17, 7:09 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Blibble
    All's well that end's well, I suppose.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 25th Apr 17, 1:57 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I'm still having problems with my insurer. I have not received my settlement payout and I telephoned them last week to ask why. I was told that they didn't know my account details which is nonsense as I pay by monthly direct debit. I gave them my account details again and they said they would pay the amount by BACS into my bank account and this would take three to five working days. I called them last Tuesday and when I contacted my bank this morning they still have not paid the agreed amount. Can an insurer take as long as they want when paying a agreed settlement?.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,484Posts Today

6,078Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin